SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Sage Expert

Well that would be one Mr: jreichen
I sent him a PM as well but he's on this thread for Jetty 9 . . .
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 10-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Sage Expert

Well, in terms of bringing the old jetty server + assorted plugins forward to Java 8, we get this additional point of interest today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
I'm running Nielm's web interface just fine under Java 8. Just have to open Sage, go to Plugins, and hit "reset web server" every time I reboot (which isn't often), and it comes it just fine.
Maybe an issue with the order things are loading into memory?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Sage User

I'm also able to access the Web Interface to Sage (and also BMT) without any problem with Java 8 (which I installed before I found out that I shouldn't). Both computers are Windows 7 and both have Java 8.

I occasionally reboot the Sage Server, but I've never done the "reset web server" thing. I do have a slight delay set for the start of the Sage Server when I boot, so it comes up after most everything else has loaded.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsean View Post
Btw I was just going to setup the old Jetty webserver plugin in my current SageTV 7 setup until I got things running with version 9, but the plugin seems to fail to download and the wiki's and whatnot are all gone. . .

Is there any way to get that back? at least the plugin and web server?
Is this still a problem?
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post
Is this still a problem?
It's still a problem. I did a fresh install of SageTV 9 on Windows and the install fails with the following error:
"Plugin Install Progre Done - FAILED - Resource Download
http://<SNIP>/jetty-starter-jars-2.3.0.14.zip?use_mirror=

Ben
Old 01-08-2017, 04:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamintm View Post
It's still a problem. I did a fresh install of SageTV 9 on Windows and the install fails with the following error:
"Plugin Install Progre Done - FAILED - Resource Download
http://<SNIP>/jetty-starter-jars-2.3.0.14.zip?use_mirror=

Ben
What's the java version? When I see this fail, it's typically because of an older Java. My server runs Java 8, and I just tested this, and it didn't fail. Sometimes sourceforge (where these are stored) will fail, and simply retrying will work.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was running 1.8.30 and it failed to download (multiple times last night and this morning). I updated to 1.8.111 and the download worked and the jetty server seems to be up. I also installed the SageTV web interface and mobile web interface but I haven't gotten the web interface working as I am getting the below error:

HTTP ERROR: 503
Problem accessing /sage/Home. Reason:
SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE
Powered by Jetty://

Same goes for /sage. This happens both when attempting to connect from the SageTV server (via localhost) and from another system via the IP address.

Thoughts?

Ben

Last edited by benjamintm; 01-08-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamintm View Post
I was running 1.8.30 and it failed to download (multiple times last night and this morning). I updated to 1.8.111 and the download worked and the jetty server seems to be up. I also installed the SageTV web interface and mobile web interface but I haven't gotten the web interface working as I am getting the below error:

HTTP ERROR: 503
Problem accessing /sage/Home. Reason:
SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE
Powered by Jetty://

Same goes for /sage. This happens both when attempting to connect from the SageTV server (via localhost) and from another system via the IP address.

Thoughts?

Ben
Have you tried a restart (of at least Jetty - done from Installed Plugins -> Jetty -> Configure Plugin)? Restarting the sage service would also suffice if easier.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-08-2017, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

For the people having issues... I would look at the sagetv_0.txt log file when sagetv starts... Jetty will logs the fact that it is deplying applications (or not)... and likely, if you can't access the /sage app, etc, either Jetty is not deploying them, or it runs into an error (filesystem permissions, etc).
Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Is Jetty still the best solution for the web UI for Sage or is there something better these days - even going to Apache2 since Sage seems to be moving towards Linux, at least for the server side.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Is Jetty still the best solution for the web UI for Sage or is there something better these days - even going to Apache2 since Sage seems to be moving towards Linux, at least for the server side.
Jetty is fine. It does what it needs to do, and most cleanly, runs within the same java jvm that's running sage, so it just keeps things clean and simple. it just happened to work so well that there was no reason to upgrade it over the years, and java changes have left the old version sort of in the dust.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I double we'll move away from a Java web server, since much of what the web apps do, require it to be running in the same vm... And I don't think SageTV is moving to linux only, just no-one has stepped up to maintain the windows native parts yet... but jusjoken is still build Windows versions as required... I hope that some day, and window person will come along and maintain the windows specific parts.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
And I don't think SageTV is moving to linux only, just no-one has stepped up to maintain the windows native parts yet... but jusjoken is still build Windows versions as required... I hope that some day, and window person will come along and maintain the windows specific parts.
That's try but I am an example of someone who was waiting for a 64 bit Windows version but I am likely giving up and moving to unRAID. The longer it takes for someone to come along the more people that will move to Linux which will mean less Windows support from other users.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's try but I am an example of someone who was waiting for a 64 bit Windows version but I am likely giving up and moving to unRAID. The longer it takes for someone to come along the more people that will move to Linux which will mean less Windows support from other users.
SageTV was successful for a very long time with just a 32-bit windows, and NO 64-bit linux alternative. It is still viable even remaining 32-bit on windows.

That said, I'm pretty sure myself and others have mentioned quite a few times that a 64-bit windows build is not even being worked on, simply because the amount of native code on windows is so significant, with no devs comfortable enough to even look at, and more importantly, some things - like DirectShow - may not even function the same in 64-bit (you need to use specific 64-bit DirectShow filters/drivers to access DirectShow from a 64-bit application, and there are not very many 64-bit DirectShow filters/drivers).

Old 01-09-2017, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
SageTV was successful for a very long time with just a 32-bit windows, and NO 64-bit linux alternative. It is still viable even remaining 32-bit on windows.

That said, I'm pretty sure myself and others have mentioned quite a few times that a 64-bit windows build is not even being worked on, simply because the amount of native code on windows is so significant, with no devs comfortable enough to even look at, and more importantly, some things - like DirectShow - may not even function the same in 64-bit (you need to use specific 64-bit DirectShow filters/drivers to access DirectShow from a 64-bit application, and there are not very many 64-bit DirectShow filters/drivers).
BUt is that mainly because of the "client" model. I would think that the server native parts would be the same between windows and linux. But again, it could the challenge that the "cient' can't be easily separated under windows... I don't know.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
BUt is that mainly because of the "client" model. I would think that the server native parts would be the same between windows and linux. But again, it could the challenge that the "cient' can't be easily separated under windows... I don't know.
You can separate client/server easily on all the different platforms.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
You can separate client/server easily on all the different platforms.
Would building a server only version for windows simplify the move to 64 bit...ie: remove some/all of the directx stuff?

I certainly would need to learn a lot more of the internal workings but some day i may take a shot a this but i think we should have a 32 bit client and a separate 64 bit server for windows if that will make this simpler.. then again it may be way over my head but that never stopped me before

k
Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Would building a server only version for windows simplify the move to 64 bit...ie: remove some/all of the directx stuff?

I certainly would need to learn a lot more of the internal workings but some day i may take a shot a this but i think we should have a 32 bit client and a separate 64 bit server for windows if that will make this simpler.. then again it may be way over my head but that never stopped me before

k
possibly, but I think there is at least as much native code in dealing with tuner hardware (albeit a lot of that may be obsolete) as there is in rendering to the display, so there's still a big question mark there regrading what would work and what would not.

This is the reason I suggested back before open sourcing an archetecture that wold allow for a seperate process for each miniclient. Something that would essentially combine the SageTVClient parts to communicate with the server process, and the MiniServer parts to communicate with a miniclient. This would really be the only way for it to serve a large number of miniclients and remain 32-bit.

Alternatively, a very stripped down version of the server could be made to run 64-bit, and go without just about all the native bits - but lose all the features that the native bits provided (direct hardware tuner access, usb-uirt, power management, etc). The end result being that if you only used network encoders, it'd be fine, and you could perhaps still run a 32-bit instance as a network encoder for direct hardware access.

Both of these solutions end up being far more complicated to manage than using a linux 64-bit server, but architecturally, this are the only ways I see going forward to try to improve the capabilities of the windows server.

Of course, I've also recommended shifting the android minclient to a full client architecture - which would also alleviate the need for a large heap if using android clients (which are the only 'new' clients out there).

Old 01-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Sage

It should be pretty easy to get it compiled for 64-bit on Windows if you don't include playback or recording...so a service-only type of build. You'd then use a local network encoder for handling all of the capture stuff (and you'd have to change SageTV.exe's use of mutexes to allow running multiple copies of SageTV server on one machine). Then use SageTVClient locally like has always been done for playback...or across the network. The part that benefits from 64-bit is the Java portion...which is the easiest to deal with in 64-bit world.

It also probably wouldn't be all that hard to get capture working properly in 64-bit, as long as the drivers are there for the devices. There's definitely a lot less code for capture vs. playback; and much of the complex code there is shared across both platforms (i.e. the TS parsing/remuxing) so it's already been vetted for 64-bit compatibility.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
For the people having issues... I would look at the sagetv_0.txt log file when sagetv starts... Jetty will logs the fact that it is deplying applications (or not)... and likely, if you can't access the /sage app, etc, either Jetty is not deploying them, or it runs into an error (filesystem permissions, etc).
I don't see anything in the log that tells me why the sage web interface isn't loading. There are references to plugins being in a failed state, but that doesn't seem to reflect the actual status of the plug in. I've attached the log for your review.

Quote:
Have you tried a restart (of at least Jetty - done from Installed Plugins -> Jetty -> Configure Plugin)? Restarting the sage service would also suffice if easier.
I have restarted both the jetty service, the SageTV service, and the entire server, but the web interface still doesn't load.

Ben
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.txt.zip (175.0 KB, 122 views)