SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Sage Expert

Playback duration/progress issues

I'm migrating my SageTV Server from Win7/SageV7 to Linux/SageV9. I copied all of my recordings from the windows server to the linux server, I copied my Wiz.bin and Wiz.bak into /opt/sagetv/server/.

Everything looks good except when I try to play back files that were migrated from the windows server, the progress counter stays at 0 and trying to skip ahead exits the recording.

Play back of files recorded by the Linux server work fine. I am also able to watch the files that were migrated from the windows server with windows media player over samba.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Sage

Try going into Detailed Setup->Advanced->Rescan Library. Wait until that's done and then see if they playback properly at that point. If they don't; then post a log file from when you reproduce it.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Sage Expert

I tried rescanning multiple times and it doesn't help. Files in my import directory "videos" play back just fine. My problem is only with files that were recorded by SageTV on my Windows server. These files are in my /var/media/tv directory. Does Setup->Advanced->Rescan Library include "Recording Directories" or is it only for "Import Directories"?

Is there a way to force a rescan of the Recording Directories if it is not included in the import rescan?

As for logs, which debug option do I need to turn on?

root@banshee:/opt/sagetv/server# grep debug Sage.properties
cc_debug=false
debug_capture_progress=false
debug_cc_sub=false
debug_core_events=false
debug_exif_parser=false
debug_ffmpeg_format_info=TRUE
debug_fps_freq=0
debug_logging=false
debug_msgs=false
debug_rem_actions=false
metadata/debug_logging=false
metadata/imdb_debug_logging=false
miniclient/debug_push=false
thread_debug=true
ui/lock_debug=false
Old 11-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Sage Expert

Actually... The duration shows up fine. The progress counter stays at 0 and the whole timebar is red like when parts of a recording are missed.

Again, this on only with files that were recorded by my SageTV windows server and moved to /var/media/tv before I migrated everything to a linux server. My ripped videos in /var/media/videos play fine. As does anything recorded by the linux server in /var/media/tv.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:30 AM
SageTVaholic

What is the format of the files? What do you get when you run ffprobe on them? Do these files have some sort windows DRM built into them?
Old 11-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Sage Expert

The files were recorded by my HDHomeRun and HD PVR on my Windows server before switching to the linux version of SageTV. SageTV reports the following formats:

Silicondust HDHomeRun:
MPEG2-PS[MPEG2-Video 16:9 1080i@29.97fps, Dolby Digital/384Kbps@48kHz 5.1 rng, Dolby Digital/192Kbps@48kHz Stereo spa]

Hauppauge HD PVR Best-H.264:
MPEG2-TS[H.264 16:9 1080i@29.97fps, Dolby Digital/384Kbps@48kHz Stereo]

root@banshee:/var/media/tv# ffprobe ThorTheDarkWorld-18231167-0.ts
ffprobe version N-76045-g97be5d4 Copyright (c) 2007-2015 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04)
configuration: --extra-libs=-ldl --prefix=/opt/ffmpeg --enable-avresample --disable-debug --enable-nonfree --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --disable-decoder=amrnb --disable-decoder=amrwb --enable-libpulse --enable-libdcadec --enable-libfreetype --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libvorbis --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvpx --enable-libspeex --enable-libass --enable-avisynth --enable-libsoxr --enable-libxvid --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvidstab
libavutil 55. 4.100 / 55. 4.100
libavcodec 57. 6.100 / 57. 6.100
libavformat 57. 4.100 / 57. 4.100
libavdevice 57. 0.100 / 57. 0.100
libavfilter 6. 11.100 / 6. 11.100
libavresample 3. 0. 0 / 3. 0. 0
libswscale 4. 0.100 / 4. 0.100
libswresample 2. 0.100 / 2. 0.100
libpostproc 54. 0.100 / 54. 0.100
Input #0, mpegts, from 'ThorTheDarkWorld-18231167-0.ts':
Duration: 01:59:51.47, start: 0.387044, bitrate: 12644 kb/s
Program 1
Stream #0:0[0x1011]: Video: h264 (Main) (HDMV / 0x564D4448), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: ac3 (AC-3 / 0x332D4341), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 384 kb/s
root@banshee:/var/media/tv#
Old 11-09-2015, 12:44 AM
Sage Expert

I just want to clarify. I can watch these videos. They play. It's just that the counter stays at zero, the progress bar is red and it ends if I hit fastforward.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Sage

Can you post a log file for when you reproduce this problem please?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Sage Expert

I turned some debug options on in .properties. Started my client. Immediately browsed to a recording that is having this issue. I played the recording. Hit FF (which resulted in me being taken back to the menus) and then I closed the client.

Log attached

sagetvclient_0.zip
Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Sage

OK, I can see the problem now...not sure how it got into this state though. SageTV thinks the duration of the recording is half a second...which is why the timeline is red. It does know the correct duration in the media player though...the problem is in the database.

There's code paths to repair this stuff...but apparently it only gets executed for imported contents, not for TV recordings.

BEFORE YOU DO THIS BACKUP YOUR WIZ.BIN/BAK FILES

To fix this; you're going to need to move the recordings out of your recording path, SageTV then needs to remove them all from the database; then you need to put them back so it reimports them and it should happen correctly this time. (I don't know why it didn't last time, I'd need to see the log from that to find out which I'd expect you don't have anymore). So I'd do it like this:

1) Move the recordings out of a SageTV recording directory or import path
2) Startup SageTV, verify that they are all gone from your recordings list (it may take a few minutes to happen)
3) Quit SageTV
4) Put the files back where they were before #1
5) Startup SageTV....they should all come back and work fine

If there's any problems with this, post the logs from when you did it (but please turn off 'debug_rem_actions' in your properties file, that puts way too much stuff in debug logging).
Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Sage Expert

I really appreciate your help with this issue. I believe that I had SageTV running on the Linux server as I was copying the files from the Windows server via samba.

It's possible that SageTV found them in their new location while they were still being copied and they were only half a second in duration at that time.

I'll try shutting down the server and moving a couple of the recordings out to see if that works.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turak View Post
I really appreciate your help with this issue. I believe that I had SageTV running on the Linux server as I was copying the files from the Windows server via samba.

It's possible that SageTV found them in their new location while they were still being copied and they were only half a second in duration at that time.

I'll try shutting down the server and moving a couple of the recordings out to see if that works.
Not 100% sure this wil work, but you can do a touch on all the files and then tell saged to look for new media, and it should rescan them (there might be easier ways as well)
Old 11-10-2015, 02:48 PM
Sage Expert

That worked. Thanks! Here is what I did..

( /var/media/tv and /var/media/fixtv are on the same file system. So it's just relinking the files and not copying them )

/etc/init.d/sagetv stop
vi /opt/sagetv/server/Sage.properties ( set limited_carny_init=true for fast startups )
cd /var/media/
mkdir fixtv
cd tv
mv * ../fixtv/
/etc/init.d/sagetv start
( Verified it was up and there were no recordings with client )
/etc/init.d/sagetv stop
cd ../fixtv/
mv * ../tv/
/etc/init.d/sagetv start
( Verified everything is good )
/etc/init.d/sagetv stop
vi /opt/sagetv/server/Sage.properties ( set limited_carny_init=false )
/etc/init.d/sagetv start
Old 11-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Sage

Cool.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Ok, I searched the SageTV forums, but couldn't find the exact description of my problem, but this thread seemed to be the closest. I am running in a Windows Environment with 2 HD300's and a Windows Client. This behavior is the same on the HD300s and the Windows Client. I have run into a few recordings recently, and from time to time, where FF and REW don't work very well.
Let me try to describe it the best way I can. While playing back the recording, when a commercial break comes up, if I click FF a half dozen times, playback seems to show me skipping on the progress bar until I stop pressing the FF key, but then goes back to about only ten seconds past the point I started FF from. This means if I were to start playback at 0 seconds into the recording and pres FF twenty times, by the time I finish pressing FF, it continues playback, but at only about 10 seconds into the video.
Is this a similar problem, or do I have to "Repair" the videos in this case?
Old 12-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Sage Expert

Sounds like a completely different issue, unless SageTV thinks the program is only 10 seconds long.. Which doesn't sound like your situation.

You said you're seeing it on "some recordings recently" so I take it that this is a recent development but that it may not be impacting every new recording.

Is it isolated to recordings made on specific channels? Specific tuners?
Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
Sounds like a completely different issue, unless SageTV thinks the program is only 10 seconds long.. Which doesn't sound like your situation.

You said you're seeing it on "some recordings recently" so I take it that this is a recent development but that it may not be impacting every new recording.

Is it isolated to recordings made on specific channels? Specific tuners?
It is infrequent enough that I haven't noted the frequency, or tuners yet, but last night it happened on two recordings in a row on one station. We were trying to watch one of them, and I flipped to the next show and saw it had the problem also. I then checked a recording from the morning, and it had no issue.

Update:
I checked the three recordings from last night, which were back to back on ABC recorded by the same tuner. The first two were affected by this issue, but the third recording was fine.
Also, if I reencode with Handbrake, it is fine after reencoding.

Last edited by mikejaner; 12-03-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
It is infrequent enough that I haven't noted the frequency, or tuners yet, but last night it happened on two recordings in a row on one station. We were trying to watch one of them, and I flipped to the next show and saw it had the problem also. I then checked a recording from the morning, and it had no issue.

Update:
I checked the three recordings from last night, which were back to back on ABC recorded by the same tuner. The first two were affected by this issue, but the third recording was fine.
Also, if I reencode with Handbrake, it is fine after reencoding.
I had a recording (HDPVR) last week where something like this happened. When I pressed the 30skip forward, it would jump forward, and then back almost to the point where I started. 'd have to hit skip button many times to get it past the commercial point. Whiile I'm running a V9 sagetv jar, I'm actually running the one that Jeff provided, before it went open source (or shortly after, not sure which).

I've only seen this happen once or twice. I also had some audio/vidio sync issues (which I get from time to time) on another recording.

To clarify, this is using the HD300 as a client, not my ALPHA android client
Old 12-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I had a recording (HDPVR) last week where something like this happened. When I pressed the 30skip forward, it would jump forward, and then back almost to the point where I started. 'd have to hit skip button many times to get it past the commercial point. Whiile I'm running a V9 sagetv jar, I'm actually running the one that Jeff provided, before it went open source (or shortly after, not sure which).

I've only seen this happen once or twice. I also had some audio/vidio sync issues (which I get from time to time) on another recording.

To clarify, this is using the HD300 as a client, not my ALPHA android client
You put my exact problem into more eloquent words! It does a similar thing on the Software based client, but the decoders handle it much worse.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Sage

@mikejaner, what source are you recording these from?