SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

In the old days back before sagetv became open source they used to recommend making exceptions in your virus scanner for the sage tv directories but that was not due to viruses , it was due to most virus scanners scan on demand feature actually slowed up recordings as the data was written to the drive I believe and as for the antivirus programs saying part of sage tv is a virus, it seems to be a false alarm as I had the same problems with a previous build I installed that was flagged by bitdefender.

I sent the file in so they could prove it was a false positive and update their signatures but until they did , I ended up setting up a directory to download the file over again that had an exception made just for it , and also made an exception for the sage tv install directy as well and redownloaded the file in the special directory and reinstalled it as normal and then reinstalled it again using the repair option to keep my virus program from removing it until the signatures were updated and it no longer did that.

Not sure if you want to do that since you are airing on the word of your virus program over a community of many users that you may have just joined as I can't tell while making a reply but many of us ran into the false positive problem until someone sent in the file to get analyzed and they fixed the problem.

I do know that I used it daily and many others do here as well and if there was an actual virus people would be filling the community up more than now with posts.

Hope that helps you decide your plan of action on how to react to the report of scanner.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:21 PM
SageTVaholic

This is one of the reasons signature based anti-virus has been so poor for quite some time. One of the others being that if it doesn't have a signature for a new threat it will likely be able to get by undetected.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Assuming you're trying to play back on the server?

Is this a clean V9 install? If so you don't have the MPEG2 decoders. Install over V7 or install LAV filters.

If this was installed over V7, post your sagetv_0.txt log file.
Yes this is playback on the server. No problem playing on the HD300s.
I started with sageTV 6 then installed sageTV 7 followed by sageTV 9 install.

Attached is a snip of my sagetv_0.txt log from launch on the server to play live TV to close program.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (236.5 KB, 294 views)
Old 07-02-2017, 11:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnelson View Post
I did a search of "panda" and "exploit" in this thread and didn't see anything. However, Panda Antivirus is telling me the windows download has w32.exploit.gen in it and throws it in the quarantine. Anyone else? I downloaded it from the link after going to the "files" tab. I'm guessing it is a false positive but wanted to double check.

Code:
Brief Description 

Exploit.gen is a vulnerability or programming flaw in an application or service.

This error refers to operations that can cause abnormal functioning of the application and can be reproduced artificially by a malicious user in order to take a series of actions including: remote code execution, denial of service, information disclosure or privilege escalation.

A vulnerability is not an immediate threat to the computer. However, it is a potential entry channel for other threats that could have destructive effects. For this reason it is highly advisable to stay informed about vulnerabilities discovered in the programs installed on your computers and apply security patches provided by developers and accessible through their websites.

Exploit.gen does not spread automatically using its own means. It needs an attacking user's intervention in order to reach the affected computer. The means of transmission used include, among others, floppy disks, CD-ROMs, email messages with attached files, Internet downloads, FTP, IRC channels, peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing networks, etc.
I use Panda free antivirus and have not had any problem downloading the last two versions of the windows installer. Running a manual scan on it finds nothing wrong with it.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yes this is playback on the server. No problem playing on the HD300s.
I started with sageTV 6 then installed sageTV 7 followed by sageTV 9 install.

Attached is a snip of my sagetv_0.txt log from launch on the server to play live TV to close program.

Sorry. I also need the client log file too (sagetvclient_0.txt) since it appears your running the server in service mode.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Sorry. I also need the client log file too (sagetvclient_0.txt) since it appears your running the server in service mode.
No problem. I appreciate the help. Here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetvclient_0.txt (270.3 KB, 256 views)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
No problem. I appreciate the help. Here it is.
What is your video renderer set to inside Sage? It's under Setup|Detailed Setup|Video/Audio.

Try changing it to one of the other choices. Something is unhappy with your renderer. Mine is set to EVR.

Also check what MPEG2 filter is selected.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
What is your video renderer set to inside Sage? It's under Setup|Detailed Setup|Video/Audio.

Try changing it to one of the other choices. Something is unhappy with your renderer. Mine is set to EVR.

Also check what MPEG2 filter is selected.
MPEG2 Filter is SageTV MPEG Video Decoder

Video renderer was set on Video Overlay Renderer. I changed it to Default. That solved the problem.

I think all issues are resolved. Thank you for your help!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Sage User

I used the windows installer to upgrade from an earlier v9 version on Vista.
Should the installer work for Windows Vista sp2?

The install seemed to go fine but then I noticed I have problems with my HdHomerun tuners same as in this thread:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52443

That thread is mainly about Windows Server 2012 not having BDA drivers, but I get the same errors on Vista so the BDA drivers must have been messed up in some way from the install.

I get similar errors as post #25 from that thread:

Code:
Fri 7/7 12:29:06.381 [MainMsg@1a026cf] try connect BDA tuner 'Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10192689-1' (@device:sw:{71985F48-1CA1-11D3-9CC8-00C04F7971E0}\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10192689-1) to ATSC
Fri 7/7 12:29:06.381 [MainMsg@1a026cf] checking mfr vendor, '' '' (class:0, 0)
Fri 7/7 12:29:06.381 [MainMsg@1a026cf] Filters medium not found on filters, filter1:'' filter2:''.
Fri 7/7 12:29:06.381 [MainMsg@1a026cf] Drop DBA network tuner (Source Fileter) (redundant filter).
Fri 7/7 12:29:06.381 [MainMsg@1a026cf] Failed to connect Splitter Filter to tuner Filter hr=0x80004005 5d362014 4aae5b94 
Fri 7/7 12:29:06.381 [MainMsg@1a026cf] Force directly connect Splitter Filter to Capture Filter hr=0x80040204 0x5d362014-0x4aae5b94 (pin:0x5d30206c-0x66b3b4)
Fri 7/7 12:29:06.381 [MainMsg@1a026cf] Exception from line: 2609
Fri 7/7 12:29:06.382 [MainMsg@1a026cf] Built:sage.EncodingException: ERROR (-2,0x80040204): There was a problem using a SageTV component. Please re-install the SageTV application.
I tried repair install and plain (non upgrade) install with same problem.
(Also removed and added tuners, but get error whenever it tries to connect to tuner)

I restored a backup of my older sagetv version, but now that doesn't work also
I have one hd-pvr tuner which seems to work ok, but the hdhomerun tuners all fail.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't know enough to be of much help but when I read your post I wondered if the tuners are working properly in the HDhomerun software and if you had run the HDHomeRun Setup to refresh the configuration used by SageTV in case that got messed up somehow?

Run the HDhomerun setup menu item which will update the configuration for SageTV and to verify that all turners are showing up. Run HDhomerun Config gui menu item to tune and view a channel outside of SageTV.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I don't know enough to be of much help but when I read your post I wondered if the tuners are working properly in the HDhomerun software and if you had run the HDHomeRun Setup to refresh the configuration used by SageTV in case that got messed up somehow?

Run the HDhomerun setup menu item which will update the configuration for SageTV and to verify that all turners are showing up. Run HDhomerun Config gui menu item to tune and view a channel outside of SageTV.
Yes tried that, but any other ideas are welcome. I am pretty much stuck at this point.

I tried to test the tuners were working on a mac but the hdhomerun software I had on there was outdated. After I installed the new software it automatically flashed the hdhomerun with new firmware.
I thought that may have contributed to the problem, but I remember it was not working before that also.

I later ran the newest version of the windows setup software for the hdhomerun. Set BDA compatibility mode to SageTv and in Advanced Tab set BDA Driver set Virtual Channel Table mode to Auto and have the box under it checked for automatically select tuner.

I am not sure what those last settings should be but kept at default.

Also, I had to do a channel scan in the hdhomerun setup program before any of the client programs would work or they would just say no channels or something like that. (Even though a channel scan in the setup is not supposed to be necessary for sagetv setup)

Just mentioning these details in case anything not set up correctly.

I wish I knew more about how BDA works. There must be a way to reset/restore it (or maybe that is what the "Repair" button does in the hdhomerun software advanced tab that I tried a few times also).
Old 07-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm currently running an older version of the homerun windows software but I tried the newest windows software when I tried out their current model Connect tuners and the settings you mention sound like what I saw there. They were all the default settings. If you are watching TV with the HDHomerun gui software your problem most likely lies elsewhere. I'm thinking a Windows issue but not sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadc...r_Architecture

Perhaps you can use System restore to restore your computer back to how it was prior to the upgrade to get your tuners working again.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Installer main dialog now shows folder

I have updated the 9.1.5 installers to show the install folder on the main install dialog and text below to indicate the use of Options to modify it.

It will still not detect an existing install as i do not have time for that right now but perhaps this fall i will add that as it will certainly assist for upgrades.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg InstallFolderCapture.JPG (56.3 KB, 1147 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 06:04 AM
Sage Icon

Excellent.
This should help those that have not upgraded yet (1,000 still hitting sagetv epg)
Old 07-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Sage User

How did you set up the older version of the software?
It is probably what I had been using.
I remember having to do a channel scan and saving a file somewhere in sagetv directory (or maybe that was from a different tuner?).
I couldn't find any links to the old version or new version setup.

I am just thinking maybe something in my properties file is setup for the old software and messing things up. (Although I tried a new install of sagetv in an empty directory and still had the problem...)

I also had a network encoder at some point in the past and still get the option of adding the hdhomerun off of a network encoder on another server.
This only shows up on the list when adding a new tuner. Not sure if it should cause any problems. I probably have to remove something from the properties file to stop it from showing up. I don't see anything directly in sagetv to remove this.

I don't have system restore point but I have an old drive image I can try restoring at some point.
My solution for now is to record less.
I guess I liked being able to record a few options of shows but actually never watched most of it anyway

Quote:
I'm currently running an older version of the homerun windows software but I tried the newest windows software when I tried out their current model Connect tuners and the settings you mention sound like what I saw there. They were all the default settings. If you are watching TV with the HDHomerun gui software your problem most likely lies elsewhere. I'm thinking a Windows issue but not sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadc...r_Architecture

Perhaps you can use System restore to restore your computer back to how it was prior to the upgrade to get your tuners working again.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsage View Post
How did you set up the older version of the software?
It is probably what I had been using.
I remember having to do a channel scan and saving a file somewhere in sagetv directory (or maybe that was from a different tuner?).
I couldn't find any links to the old version or new version setup.

I am just thinking maybe something in my properties file is setup for the old software and messing things up. (Although I tried a new install of sagetv in an empty directory and still had the problem...)

I also had a network encoder at some point in the past and still get the option of adding the hdhomerun off of a network encoder on another server.
This only shows up on the list when adding a new tuner. Not sure if it should cause any problems. I probably have to remove something from the properties file to stop it from showing up. I don't see anything directly in sagetv to remove this.

I don't have system restore point but I have an old drive image I can try restoring at some point.
My solution for now is to record less.
I guess I liked being able to record a few options of shows but actually never watched most of it anyway
I am using the 20140121 version of HDHomeRun windows software with the original model of HDHomeRun tuner the white HDHR_US because that is what was available when I built my current server and it has worked well for me over the years. The Connect required newer software but when the Connect did not work properly with SageTV I reverted to the software I had been using. Switching software versions simply involves uninstalling whatever version you have installed and installing a different version. I can't speak for the past but there are no files to move or anything at this point in time. When you complete the HDHomeRun setup it will detect the tuners and update their firmware if needed you can see that it detectes all your tuners and even disable some if desired plus ran a channel scan. When setup is completed the configuration is saved and the tuners will be available in SageTV to add under "Setup Video Sources". Once the HDHomeRun software is installed you can run the menu item for HDHomeRun setup at any time to verify or change the configuration such as adding or removing tuners, updating firmware or software version (which I decline to do when prompted). Whatever configuration you save in the HDHomeRun software will determine what is available to SageTV. If you disable some of your tuners in the HDHomeRun software they will not be available to add in SageTV. Get the HDHomeRun software configured as you want it before adding tuners to SageTV.

When you uninstall HDHomeRun software remove the tuners from sageTV as well then add them back after installing the HDHomeRun software again.

I don't know anything about network encoder. HDHomeRun is the only tuner I have ever used. If network encoder no longer applies to your SageTV setup uninstalling that might be a good idea.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info. I have the same old white HDHomeRun tuner.
I never had problems with it. Had a lot more problems with the hdpvr I also have, when updating or changing the configuration.
Maybe I will see if I can find an older version of the HDHomeRun setup laying around. I usually keep the setup files somewhere.
I am not sure what handles the BDA drivers or configuration or whatever is the problem. If it is a windows component that the sage installer updated or if it is part of the HDHomeRun drivers.
It is probably something minor that is misconfigured. Maybe something setup for newer Windows versions but not compatible with Windows Vista.

Quote:
I am using the 20140121 version of HDHomeRun windows software with the original model of HDHomeRun tuner the white HDHR_US because that is what was available when I built my current server and it has worked well for me over the years. The Connect required newer software but when the Connect did not work properly with SageTV I reverted to the software I had been using. Switching software versions simply involves uninstalling whatever version you have installed and installing a different version. I can't speak for the past but there are no files to move or anything at this point in time. When you complete the HDHomeRun setup it will detect the tuners and update their firmware if needed you can see that it detectes all your tuners and even disable some if desired plus ran a channel scan. When setup is completed the configuration is saved and the tuners will be available in SageTV to add under "Setup Video Sources". Once the HDHomeRun software is installed you can run the menu item for HDHomeRun setup at any time to verify or change the configuration such as adding or removing tuners, updating firmware or software version (which I decline to do when prompted). Whatever configuration you save in the HDHomeRun software will determine what is available to SageTV. If you disable some of your tuners in the HDHomeRun software they will not be available to add in SageTV. Get the HDHomeRun software configured as you want it before adding tuners to SageTV.

When you uninstall HDHomeRun software remove the tuners from sageTV as well then add them back after installing the HDHomeRun software again.

I don't know anything about network encoder. HDHomeRun is the only tuner I have ever used. If network encoder no longer applies to your SageTV setup uninstalling that might be a good idea.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have the same old white HDHomeRun tuner.
I never had problems with it. Had a lot more problems with the hdpvr I also have, when updating or changing the configuration.
Maybe I will see if I can find an older version of the HDHomeRun setup laying around. I usually keep the setup files somewhere.
I am not sure what handles the BDA drivers or configuration or whatever is the problem. If it is a windows component that the sage installer updated or if it is part of the HDHomeRun drivers.
It is probably something minor that is misconfigured. Maybe something setup for newer Windows versions but not compatible with Windows Vista.
I too have the ancient white HDHomeRun (a pair). They are working quite well. Initially for cable, now being use for OTA. I'm running the 20150615 software -- but have some revs back to 2007.

I remember BDA being driven by windows compatibility? And, it's been a very long time since I've needed to dig into the internals, but I also remember that some updates were "no going back" (difficult to go back?) because they also usually brought firmware updates that weren't always backward compatible -- like the original switch to BDA.

As I said, it's been a while, but I remember that I start by using the Silicon Dust config program to scan the cable or antenna for shows, then I use it to set the channel IDs for what sage (now, Schedules Direct) needs to match to the EPG and save it. (I keep a copy of that file for the next time that I have to do a raw channel scan because no matter what's claimed, they overwrite on rescan. (C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\Digital Antenna.xml). It can also be manually edited. When I was making lots of changes, I've done so because it was quicker then going through the interface. It also let me just copy the copy over when I did an accidental channel scan (no, that never happens) or did a channel scan and found no changes that I wanted to keep.

Then I have to tell sage to scan for new channels so that it'll read the updated files ("C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner ???...-ATSC.frq"). Then it all works .

[I may be mixing cable and OTA here -- as I said, it's been a while].

I also remember that SageTV service and the Silicon Dust setup programs will fight over who can control the tuners (and the frq files?), so I shut down the SageTV server while running the SiliconDust setup.

Have you posted for help over in the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun forums?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB

Last edited by davidk21770; 07-14-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:04 AM
Sage User

I have an older hard drive with sage and vista and it is able to connect to the hdhomerun (as it is now with newer firmware, but older hdhomerun windows drivers) with no problems. (Meaning I can go into sage setup and preview all the channels on both hdhomerun tuners)

If I copy the new sagetv files from my ssd over to the old hard drive, it fails to run at all complaining to not finding vcruntime140.dll (but copying that file over into sage directory or windows/system32 doesn't fix the problem).

So this leads me to believe that if I restore my windows configuration to an earlier state it will probably not help as newer drivers that sage now requires and possibly newer settings in the registry will not be there.

I might be able to restore windows and then try the sage installer again, but I can't see how I won't end up at the same place I am now.

Before trying the old hard drive, I tried running an old hdhomerun setup software which I finally found, but it would not install saying a newer version is installed.

If I knew what files/drivers windows uses for BDA, I could try copying them over from my old drive or a backup. Only thing I can see is a bdaplgin.ax in the system32 directory, but I think there should be more to it then that (dlls, registry settings, etc).

I was hoping the error messages I originally posted would give a hint to someone who knows more of the internals of sagetv.
The "not finding medium filter", "drop network tuner", "failed to connect splitter", "Exception from line: 2609" ??

line 2609 in what file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk21770 View Post
I too have the ancient white HDHomeRun (a pair). They are working quite well. Initially for cable, now being use for OTA. I'm running the 20150615 software -- but have some revs back to 2007.

I remember BDA being driven by windows compatibility? And, it's been a very long time since I've needed to dig into the internals, but I also remember that some updates were "no going back" (difficult to go back?) because they also usually brought firmware updates that weren't always backward compatible -- like the original switch to BDA.

As I said, it's been a while, but I remember that I start by using the Silicon Dust config program to scan the cable or antenna for shows, then I use it to set the channel IDs for what sage (now, Schedules Direct) needs to match to the EPG and save it. (I keep a copy of that file for the next time that I have to do a raw channel scan because no matter what's claimed, they overwrite on rescan. (C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\Digital Antenna.xml). It can also be manually edited. When I was making lots of changes, I've done so because it was quicker then going through the interface. It also let me just copy the copy over when I did an accidental channel scan (no, that never happens) or did a channel scan and found no changes that I wanted to keep.

Then I have to tell sage to scan for new channels so that it'll read the updated files ("C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner ???...-ATSC.frq"). Then it all works .

[I may be mixing cable and OTA here -- as I said, it's been a while].

I also remember that SageTV service and the Silicon Dust setup programs will fight over who can control the tuners (and the frq files?), so I shut down the SageTV server while running the SiliconDust setup.

Have you posted for help over in the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun forums?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have an older hard drive with sage and vista and it is able to connect to the hdhomerun (as it is now with newer firmware, but older hdhomerun windows drivers) with no problems. (Meaning I can go into sage setup and preview all the channels on both hdhomerun tuners)

If I copy the new sagetv files from my ssd over to the old hard drive, it fails to run at all complaining to not finding vcruntime140.dll (but copying that file over into sage directory or windows/system32 doesn't fix the problem).

So this leads me to believe that if I restore my windows configuration to an earlier state it will probably not help as newer drivers that sage now requires and possibly newer settings in the registry will not be there.

I might be able to restore windows and then try the sage installer again, but I can't see how I won't end up at the same place I am now.

Before trying the old hard drive, I tried running an old hdhomerun setup software which I finally found, but it would not install saying a newer version is installed.

If I knew what files/drivers windows uses for BDA, I could try copying them over from my old drive or a backup. Only thing I can see is a bdaplgin.ax in the system32 directory, but I think there should be more to it then that (dlls, registry settings, etc).

I was hoping the error messages I originally posted would give a hint to someone who knows more of the internals of sagetv.
The "not finding medium filter", "drop network tuner", "failed to connect splitter", "Exception from line: 2609" ??

line 2609 in what file?
Line 2609 in Encoder.cpp, part of DShowCapture.dll

For what it's worth, a .ax file is a .dll.

It looks like your filters are failing when connecting the capture device to the splitter. I believe the splitter is TSSplitter.ax in the SageTV folder (or a subfolder). I don't really know how all of this stuff works either but I know that .ax files used by directshow need to be registered, typically by the installer. You can manually register them in case something went wrong there. See http://media.liacs.nl/medialab/docs/lml169.html for an example. Try this on TSSplitter.ax.

There's also a debug tool call Graphedt.exe that may help to sort out filter issues but I've never used it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GraphEdit