SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpixel View Post
Okay - my initial enthusiasm has been tempered. Tried watching some mpeg2 files last night (from my OTA HDHR) and found that they did not play. Using EXOplayer the playback was heavily stuttered and unwatchable. No joy with IJK either.

Ripped Blu-ray played okay but for some reason it defaulted to the director's cut audio and I couldn't figure out a way to change the track.

Also noticed that there is an audio sync issue when watching live TV (H264) on both the FireTV Stick and the MiBox. I rarely watch live TV unless I'm catching up to a sporting event so I've never noticed this before on the MiBox but tried a side by side comparison to confirm.

Tried watching live TV on a H264 stream that was protected by Parental Controls and couldn't get the on-screen keyboard to go away. I backed all the way out of the SageTV app and still couldn't get it to go away. Had to power cycle the FireTV stick to fix it.

I realize that FireTV is not a platform that has been a focus for this MiniClient so not sure what to say here other than - it sure would be cool if it worked better on FireTV... I have yet to find one streamer to do everything I need (SageTV, Amazon Prime, Youtube, DirecTV Now). The MiBox is close but the lack of a proper Amazon Prime app is annoying.

-uberpixel
I have found using the "ts" container is better then mpg on the FireTV. Even then I have never found a setup that works perfectly for all files. Something that works for one thing like the HDHR files may mess up something else like not all mp4 files but ones with HD audio will suddenly have issues. Depending on hard ware used disabling or enabling pass-thru audio seems to help. But again have not found a setup that works for all formats.

I use MCEbuddy and convert everything to mp4. I also rename and run comskip at the same time. The end result means just about everything show up in Emby(Kodi) or Plex. Some news and Sport programs may not scan into the metadata but I map a folder in plex\Emby that is not scanned (like Home moves) and I can play back any file regardless of if it was scanned by the other tools. In Kodi you can open an in-progress recording and it will play without issue regardless of format. (Kodi will play anything on the FireTV)

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I have found using the "ts" container is better then mpg on the FireTV. Even then I have never found a setup that works perfectly for all files. Something that works for one thing like the HDHR files may mess up something else like not all mp4 files but ones with HD audio will suddenly have issues. Depending on hard ware used disabling or enabling pass-thru audio seems to help. But again have not found a setup that works for all formats.

I use MCEbuddy and convert everything to mp4. I also rename and run comskip at the same time. The end result means just about everything show up in Emby(Kodi) or Plex. Some news and Sport programs may not scan into the metadata but I map a folder in plex\Emby that is not scanned (like Home moves) and I can play back any file regardless of if it was scanned by the other tools. In Kodi you can open an in-progress recording and it will play without issue regardless of format. (Kodi will play anything on the FireTV)
I do not need to change video encoding, but would like for my Emby server to pick up the recorded TV shows recorded by SageTV correctly. Can you provide some instructions for renaming the files and file-directory structure (to add showname folders and/or episode folders. Also, I am thinking it might be better to copy the files to another folder (and not delete the originals). Or, would you suggest either copy / delete original, or just rename in place. I still want SageTV to work (as my main large-tv player), but want to use Emby on portable/mobile systems, and on some small-screen tvs (in the kids room, etc.)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawilmsn View Post
I do not need to change video encoding, but would like for my Emby server to pick up the recorded TV shows recorded by SageTV correctly. Can you provide some instructions for renaming the files and file-directory structure (to add showname folders and/or episode folders. Also, I am thinking it might be better to copy the files to another folder (and not delete the originals). Or, would you suggest either copy / delete original, or just rename in place. I still want SageTV to work (as my main large-tv player), but want to use Emby on portable/mobile systems, and on some small-screen tvs (in the kids room, etc.)
You do not have to compress the file. There are options in MCEbuddy to just run comskip or rename the file. My script moves the file to another directory if there is a good match. If there is no match it will leave it in the recording directory and keep the SageTV id in the file.

"%ismovie%<\RecordedTV\Movies\%showname% (%airyear%),%issport%<\RecordedTV\%showname% %recordyear%-%recordmonth%-%recordday% - %recordhour%%recordminute% - %episodename%,%ifepisode%<\DVR\%showname%\%showname% (%premiereyear%) - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename% ,\RecordedTV\%showname% %recordyear%-%recordmonth%-%recordday% - %recordhour%%recordminute% -%airingdbid%-0>>>"

I tested originally by making a copy but after I discovered it worked as expected changed it to delete the original file. I move the matched files outside of the recording folder into a folder monitored by both SageTv imports and Emby and Plex. In addition I setup the recording folder like it is a home movie folder so I can play any file that is not matched in emby or plex. Un-matched files are usually News or Sports. (Some national news will match and rename but I have found that local news will usually not match)

Lastly you need to setup SageTv to output an xml files for this to work well. MCEBuddy will use the xml file to help in the match process.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.

Last edited by SWKerr; 02-17-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
You do not have to compress the file. There are options in MCEbuddy to just run comskip or rename the file. My script moves the file to another directory if there is a good match. If there is no match it will leave it in the recording directory and keep the SageTV id in the file.

"%ismovie%<\RecordedTV\Movies\%showname% (%airyear%),%issport%<\RecordedTV\%showname% %recordyear%-%recordmonth%-%recordday% - %recordhour%%recordminute% - %episodename%,%ifepisode%<\DVR\%showname%\%showname% (%premiereyear%) - S%season%##E%episode%## - %episodename% ,\RecordedTV\%showname% %recordyear%-%recordmonth%-%recordday% - %recordhour%%recordminute% -%airingdbid%-0>>>"

I tested originally by making a copy but after I discovered it worked as expected changed it to delete the original file. I move the matched files outside of the recording folder into a folder monitored by both SageTv imports and Emby and Plex. In addition I setup the recording folder like it is a home movie folder so I can play any file that is not matched in emby or plex. Un-matched files are usually News or Sports. (Some national news will match and rename but I have found that local news will usually not match)

Lastly you need to setup SageTv to output an xml files for this to work well. MCEBuddy will use the xml file to help in the match process.
Sounds good - but I have a couple of questions.
First, I added net.sf.sageplugins.sagexmlinfo.RecordingXmlGenerator to the load_at_startup line in sage.properties. It did not do anything. Is something else needed. It seems to point to sagexmlinfo. I searched for that but could not find any current info on it. Do I have to install a plug-in? or something else? If so, where is it available and how do I install it. If all should be good, what do I do to see the results? I am expecting an .xml file. Does it create separate .xml files for each video, or is the information inserted into the video. Also, I read that SageTV now puts metadata in the video - so is this still needed?
... UPDATE.... I see from the mcebuddy2x instructions that it needs to read an .xml file for each video file. So, the question still is -- how to generate the .xml file.

Second, I obtained the latest copy of mcebuddy. Reading through (somewhat quickly), I see references to a script but don't know where to put or use it. Do I put it somewhere in the GUI, or do I run it from the command line?? And, does it automatically look for the .xml files? Does it work without the .xml files?
I may have other questions later in terms of where to put the video files, whether to copy and delete, or just copy them, etc. But, for now, I need to get the basics working first. If there are some web-links to info specific to this use, that would also be helpful.
...UPDATE... I spent more time reading the documentation for the advanced section of mcebuddy2x. And, I think my questions about it have been answered - at least for now. I found where to add the filename conversion information -- so I may be good to go there. And, it says that it looks for a corresponding .xml or properties file. Based on that - if/when I can get the .xml files, I should be good.

Last edited by wawilmsn; 02-19-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: edited to add to my questions
Old 10-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Sage Expert

I stumbled across this app today when I installed PlayOn for FireTV. I have an original FireTV and I’m impressed with how well this works. Good job!
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 10-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Sage User

anybody find a fix for the login/pass issue?
would be great to use placeshifter mode on my firetv, but that stupid login screen is in the way.
is it possible to add login credentials another way(edit a file directly) so sagetv android can work past the problem?
Old 10-15-2017, 06:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sDiesel View Post
anybody find a fix for the login/pass issue?
would be great to use placeshifter mode on my firetv, but that stupid login screen is in the way.
is it possible to add login credentials another way(edit a file directly) so sagetv android can work past the problem?
Is there a defect opened for this?

https://github.com/OpenSageTV/sagetv...ient/issues/70

At some point I'll get back to this, but, unfortunately time is having to spent on other things lately. I don't recall what you issue is. Is it that th keyboard won't show? Or does show? Something else?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Is there a defect opened for this?

https://github.com/OpenSageTV/sagetv...ient/issues/70

At some point I'll get back to this, but, unfortunately time is having to spent on other things lately. I don't recall what you issue is. Is it that th keyboard won't show? Or does show? Something else?
kinda the same. the on-screen keyboard comes up but i am unable to tell if anything is actually being typed as the 'next' and 'previous' buttons do nothing. the on-screen key stays until reboot(with usb keyboard you can kinda exit it - used windows key - to bring up google search then esc button to exit out). haven't been able to find a way around it.

works just find in local client mode, placeshifter though...oy
Old 10-16-2017, 05:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sDiesel View Post
kinda the same. the on-screen keyboard comes up but i am unable to tell if anything is actually being typed as the 'next' and 'previous' buttons do nothing. the on-screen key stays until reboot(with usb keyboard you can kinda exit it - used windows key - to bring up google search then esc button to exit out). haven't been able to find a way around it.

works just find in local client mode, placeshifter though...oy
And if you push and hold select to bring up the onscreen nav overlay, can you show/hide the keyboard from there?

I;ll be honest, not sure there is much I can do about how Amazon manages the keyboard, short of writing my own keyboard
Old 10-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Sage User

dunno if i tried the 'hold select' option or not.
but i was able to use placeshifter mode on my firetv over the internet to my tv server. ended up using another keyboard app(can get it to minimize but cant bring it back up) and a mouse pointer app that i had installed for other reasons. havent been able to get audio to work, but video is coming through. if i can get audio, then ill come back here and explain how i was able to get it working(in local client mode audio was working).
tweak tweak tweak