SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Also running in to an issue for the past week or two with Shields (latest gen) crashing when starting to play TV recordings. Both Shields appear to have gotten the update this weekend, but still crash for TV recordings.

Movies are working though.

Tried shows from different channels, but they all crashed.

Using ExoPlayer does not work and produces horribly choppy video with major skipping and audio sync issues.

Just installed clean on a Pixel 2, and am getting the same crash. If I switch it to ExoPlayer, it doesn't crash, but just produces a black screen with no audio. I can still access the playback controls and stop playback, but this is only on the Pixel 2.

Is there any additional information that I can provide to help with this?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk21770 View Post
1st - - great job!!! Thank you!!!

And... Volume control is still not working here.
I am running the latest on Google. I also tried unmapping ^R & ^E (vol up/vol down) and that didn't work either. I have to go to settings and set media volume.

Oreo on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.
That is really odd. All these different android implementations of volume are annoying . My SonyTV vs my Phone treat volume differently... The TV never passes the volume to Android apps at all. The phone does.

So when a key is mapped to NONE it should allow Android to handle the key press instead of the Mini Client. In the code when NONE mapping is found it returns false in the handler which signals that the app did not handle the event.

I just wanted to confirm a few things.

1. Are you sure you got the updated version....
2. Can you confirm we mapped them to the value 'NONE'
3. Did this work in previous versions?

Any other info you could provide.

Josh
Old 10-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
That is really odd. All these different android implementations of volume are annoying . My SonyTV vs my Phone treat volume differently... The TV never passes the volume to Android apps at all. The phone does.

So when a key is mapped to NONE it should allow Android to handle the key press instead of the Mini Client. In the code when NONE mapping is found it returns false in the handler which signals that the app did not handle the event.

I just wanted to confirm a few things.

1. Are you sure you got the updated version....
2. Can you confirm we mapped them to the value 'NONE'
3. Did this work in previous versions?

Any other info you could provide.

Josh
I went to google play store and tripple checked that I have the latest (it offered to open the app, not update it).
About version shows 1.3.2
System information shows 9.1.9.778

It did not appear to unregister any keys. Last time, I went to detailed setup and removed the ^R/^E from vol up/down. But I forgot that I can go to assign command and see all the keys assigned -- and there are quite a few -- and I don't know how to unassign the remote keys. I might be able to figure out how to get my usb-uirt to generate 'em to unassign 'em -- but I'm hoping there's an easier way! (I have root access and have no qualms about digging in and editing or replacing a protected app file or 3... and I have a backup just in case ).

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 10-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk21770 View Post
I went to google play store and tripple checked that I have the latest (it offered to open the app, not update it).
About version shows 1.3.2
System information shows 9.1.9.778

It did not appear to unregister any keys. Last time, I went to detailed setup and removed the ^R/^E from vol up/down. But I forgot that I can go to assign command and see all the keys assigned -- and there are quite a few -- and I don't know how to unassign the remote keys. I might be able to figure out how to get my usb-uirt to generate 'em to unassign 'em -- but I'm hoping there's an easier way! (I have root access and have no qualms about digging in and editing or replacing a protected app file or 3... and I have a backup just in case ).
Ahh... I think the confusion is where to set Volume Up/Down to 'NONE'.

In the android client before you connect to the Sage Server go to settings. You will see a new section in there called Media Key Mappings. Select that. Scroll down the list until you see Volume Up and Volume Down. Change the mapping on those two items to the value of 'NONE'.

Let me know if that works.

Josh
Old 10-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Ahh... I think the confusion is where to set Volume Up/Down to 'NONE'.

In the android client before you connect to the Sage Server go to settings. You will see a new section in there called Media Key Mappings. Select that. Scroll down the list until you see Volume Up and Volume Down. Change the mapping on those two items to the value of 'NONE'.

Let me know if that works.

Josh
You called it! I changed it to None in the app's setings and all is working well!
THANKS!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @4025 MHz, 8G G.Skill Performance
DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS Plus; SilverStone Decathlon DA1000 (died - back to an ancient enermax)
eVGA 7900 GT KO RoHS -- Zalman VP900CU Cooling
Synology NAS 22TB
Old 10-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Sage User

I'm having the same issue as Blista. I purchases a new sheildTV, it updated when I plugged it in. Then installed the latest version of the miniclient. The menu's work fine but as soon as I hit play, both live tv and recorded tv, it locks up then returns to the sheildTV homescreen after about 10 sec. I've, unloaded and reloaded, did hard boot of SheildTV, turned on and off both expo and IJK. After playing around a while, it did work with "criminal minds" but then locked up when I tried a different show. Anything I can try to get this to work? Still in my 30 days to return the SheildTV.
Thanks for all you do and really appreciate the work you've done.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjalphonso View Post
I'm having the same issue as Blista. I purchases a new sheildTV, it updated when I plugged it in. Then installed the latest version of the miniclient. The menu's work fine but as soon as I hit play, both live tv and recorded tv, it locks up then returns to the sheildTV homescreen after about 10 sec. I've, unloaded and reloaded, did hard boot of SheildTV, turned on and off both expo and IJK. After playing around a while, it did work with "criminal minds" but then locked up when I tried a different show. Anything I can try to get this to work? Still in my 30 days to return the SheildTV.
Thanks for all you do and really appreciate the work you've done.
I just looked in the Android Developer console and I see a number of errors in there. I'll spend some time going through those reports this weekend and push out an update.

Now I will say, some of these errors are coming from our code (which is good, we can fix that), but some are coming from the native android code, which is bad, since, it means that unless I can figure out "how" we are triggering that, it will be hard to fix.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

v1.3.3

I just pushed a new version. It should start rolling out soon.

release notes
Quote:
- sls: Fixed issues listed in crash reports
- sls: removed logging on startup that can cause App to hang on some hardware
- sls: removed code that was designed for pre android 21 devices
- sls: Fixed NPE bug in the key listener
- sls: Upgraded ExoPlayer to 2.8.4
Old 10-06-2018, 07:10 AM

Just got updated on a Shield and a Pixel 2. Still getting the same behavior (crash on Shield and black screen on P2).

Is there anything I can do to help with testing / troubleshooting?
Old 10-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I just pushed a new version. It should start rolling out soon.

Thanks for this. ExoPlayer seems much improved over the previous miniclient release (that used ExoPlayer 2.8.1). I've switched back to it from ijkplayer for the 5.1 audio passthrough. For the curious onlooker, I'm playing back Comcast MPEG2.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Just did some testing and it appears that in my case, the latest SageTV miniclient on Nvidia Shield with exoplayer cannot playback live tv if the Hauppauge QuadHD tuner is the source. In this case I am now just getting a black screen+no audio. Tuning the same OTA channels via cablecard (Ceton PCIe6) mainly works with exoplayer but sometimes has audio video sync issues - sometimes there is a really big delay in the audio. ijkplayer seems to work for both sources and has better A-V sync (but no 5.1 audio).
Old 10-08-2018, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blista View Post
Just got updated on a Shield and a Pixel 2. Still getting the same behavior (crash on Shield and black screen on P2).

Is there anything I can do to help with testing / troubleshooting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecore View Post
Just did some testing and it appears that in my case, the latest SageTV miniclient on Nvidia Shield with exoplayer cannot playback live tv if the Hauppauge QuadHD tuner is the source. In this case I am now just getting a black screen+no audio. Tuning the same OTA channels via cablecard (Ceton PCIe6) mainly works with exoplayer but sometimes has audio video sync issues - sometimes there is a really big delay in the audio. ijkplayer seems to work for both sources and has better A-V sync (but no 5.1 audio).
I did check the crash reports and I see a new one that I introduced in the last release related to showing the help text, but, that is unrelated to your issues.

I do know that from my experience, the Shield and MiniClient is really good at h264 content and .ts files (at least those recorded from hdpvr, which is what I use). My experience on mpeg2 has been hit or miss, especially with ExoPlayer.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:03 AM

I just wanted to chime in & say that I am getting similar issues to the Shield owners on my Sony Android TV's (KDL-55W800C & KDL-50W800C). The first time I try to watch a recording (or live tv) the miniclient crashes. But it then works the 2nd (or sometimes 3rd) time.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

All my HDHomerun MPGE2 recordings do NOT play with IJK or Exoplayer with the latest version. Just black screen. At least it doesn't crash anymore.

Anybody else have luck playing OTA HDhomerun recordings?

Chris
Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
All my HDHomerun MPGE2 recordings do NOT play with IJK or Exoplayer with the latest version. Just black screen. At least it doesn't crash anymore.

Anybody else have luck playing OTA HDhomerun recordings?

Chris
What is your android device?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
What is your android device?

I have a Nvidia Shield 2015

Chris
Old 10-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
I have a Nvidia Shield 2015

Chris
I have the same issue on two separate devices served on my new SageTV v9 rig.. a Nvidia Shield 2017 and Xiaomi Mi Box Oreo.. ... LiveTV streams are PS or TS from DVB-T OTA using exo or ijkplayer.

To be fair there do appear to be some other related video issues with OTA DVB-T streams in SageTV v9 recorded using the native HDHomeRun support - my HD300 hiccups and hangs on some of the channels ( the video stream is still being written to disk ) - which it didn't do on SageTV v7 when using dvbhdhomerun to supply the streams as native DVB-T video devices..

Cheers

Peter
Old 10-09-2018, 09:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is there any way to get a PCIe OTA tuner such as the Hauppauge QuadHD to remux the stream with ffmpeg like OpenDCT does?

I have my cablecard tuner using OpenDCT with ffmpeg remuxing and I think that cleans up the tv streams such that exoplayer can handle them. I guess one option, although expensive, would be to buy a HDHR quatro instead.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Sage User

I'm still having the same issues as before. I really do appreciate all the hard work put into this.
Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Same issues here. I've rolled back to 1.2.8 for now, which has everything working on my hardware.

Thank you for your work on this.