SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
Someone please correct me if I've overlooked something ...

The primary (only?) advantage of going 64-bit will be had in running the 64-bit server (allows greater java heap size). There's no benefit to 64 vs 32 bit for Placeshifter or Client. In fact, I run a "hybrid" config with 64-bit server but have remained with the v7/v9 32-bit Placeshifter & Client. This gets the best of both worlds: increased java heap for the server, while retaining Closed Caption capability for Placeshifter & Client.
Correct and good point.

k
Old 06-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks, all. I don't necessarily have need for CC (the only time I ever have a caption on the screen is "forced" captions in BD rip movies). I don't use placeshifter. My only client usage is HD300s in the house and now using the miniclient here and there, where I don't have an extender. My reason for going to 64-bit is exactly what is mentioned, I want a larger heap to not overwhelm my server.

My biggest lament is that I can't play my unconverted MPEG2 recordings (or live TV, OTA via HDHR) on the miniclient on my Fire Sticks or Android TV (I've had some discussion about this in other subforums but there doesn't seem to be much resolution) How does Plex do this with their Live TV option? I don't believe it transcodes on the fly (it can do that but I have it disabled and OTA plays fine in Plex on my Fire Stick).

And the comment about me not being in a rush is true, I've lived with it this long... but my RAM upgrade arrived and I installed it last night, so....
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

So I'm finally found time to attempt the leap to 64 bit and realized that there used to be instructions for how to move a Sage installation, somewhere on this forum. Like, you had to change some line in properties or something, then change it back after the move? But then I saw this in the 64-bit instructions:
Quote:
If you copy your Wiz.bin and properties to your new installation, keep in mind that the .properties will need to be edited manually for the different paths - this is not the recommended approach as plugins and other references in the properties may cause issues
So it sounds like I don't copy over the properties file at all, but start new? But I do replace wiz.bin, right? Anything I have to do (other than obviously shutting down Sage and service) before I just copy over wiz.bin?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
So I'm finally found time to attempt the leap to 64 bit and realized that there used to be instructions for how to move a Sage installation, somewhere on this forum. Like, you had to change some line in properties or something, then change it back after the move? But then I saw this in the 64-bit instructions:

So it sounds like I don't copy over the properties file at all, but start new? But I do replace wiz.bin, right? Anything I have to do (other than obviously shutting down Sage and service) before I just copy over wiz.bin?
Yes. I would make a backup of your Sage directory just in case before starting. Then i would make sure the old 32-bit Sage is NOT set to run in Service mode and Not set to start automatically. You don’t have to uninstall it, but you don’t want to run both versions at the same time on the same computer.

Then install Sage 64bit - don’t install over the top of your old 32-bit Sage, make sure it gets installed to its own separate directory (the default location should be ok). Then make sure it starts up OK. If everything looks ok, go ahead and setup your recording directories, get your remote control, tuners and your EPG setup, and make sure you are able to play back recordings. Once everything is working, shut it down and copy over your wiz.bin. Then restart and make sure everything is still ok. It may take longer than normal the first time because I think Sage will need to update wiz.bin. At this point, Sage should be functional, I would make another backup, before installing plugins or doing any customizations.

If you are comfortable editing the .properties files, you may want to copy and paste some stuff from your old properties file to the new to save time. For example, I use the Malore menus and have done a lot of customizations (naming views and setting filtering and sorting) - you can copy over all the lines from the properties file related to that and save a lot of time reconfiguring everything.

It’s much safer to go line by line through the properties files and only copy the stuff you understand and want to keep. If you copy the whole file, you will probably end up with a lot of junk you don’t need, and you will probably have some incorrect paths and settings that will cause things not to work correctly.

And of course always remember to shut down Sage and stop the Sage service before editing the properties files.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR

Last edited by Tiki; 10-12-2019 at 02:05 PM.