SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:13 PM
SageTVaholic

An extender was a device similar to an AppleTV, Roku, or FireTV device, that you would put at each TV. This way you only needed one server and then put extenders at each TV and would be able to watch everything that was on your server. There were HD100, HD200 and HD300 servers. They were really ahead of their time when they first came out and gave SageTV an advantage over alternatives. The HD300 came out in 2010 and cost $150. Windows MCE had extenders had one time as well, especially back in the Windows XP days. I have 9 TVs in my house and nine extenders - a combo of HD300 and HD200s. The extenders were usually connected back to the server but they could also work as a standalone media player to play media files. They couldn't play streaming content like Netflix, etc.

Placeshifter was a very lightweight client that ran on a PC (and one time maybe Linux and Mac) where it would pull everything from the server and the server did all of the processing. It required almost no configuration and could be run off a USB stick. The only problem with it was that it wasn't great playing back 1080i content for some reason. I still find it useful when I need to do some configuration but it isn't great for playing back media content, unless you never went HD. You could also use it to play back content remotely, assuming that you forwarded the right ports or used your own VPN. I would sometimes use Placeshifter on my laptop when I was travelling to watch content from my server at home, especially sports content that wasn't available on the road.

Both the extenders and Placeshifter used what was called a miniclient and placed a fairly heavy burden on the server. Under the 32 bit version of SageTV you could only run about 4 simultaneous miniclients before your system would bog down or crash asthe Java Virtual Machine could only use 1GB of memory on 32 bit systems. That limitation is gone with 64 bit versions of SageTV.

If you are running the full Windows SageTV client then you don't have to worry about any of that. The only issue with running the full client, rather than Placeshifter, is that it takes a bit more work to get everything configured on each client and things like plugins usually have to be installed on each client. And it is more work to keep a PC going than an extender which was very much like an appliance that rarely needed upgrades, etc.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:25 PM
Sage Expert

I realize that when most folks on these forums say "PlaceShifter", they're referring most often to the lightweight **software** client that ran on a PC. But technically, the original developers of SageTv used the term PlaceShifter in a more generic sense.

Direct quote from page 2 of the HD300 manual: "The STP-HD300 HD Theater can be used as a networked media player, as a media extender connected to a SageTV server over a local network, or as a Placeshifter client connecting to a SageTV server from a remote location." (emphasis mine).

In fact, I often use one of my HD200/300s as a PlaceShifter client, remotely connected via the WAN to a Sage server.

[/nit-pick]
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.

Last edited by JustFred; 05-19-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:18 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info. In other words - it's not something I have to worry about, since this will be on my little home network with one client running at a time.

Although... with an Android app available that emulates an Extender, it may be something I'd want to consider. Watch a show on LiveTV on my big-screen, and check my lobby-cam on my tablet...

Last edited by Len_Lekx; 05-21-2020 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Lekx View Post
Thanks for the info. In other words - it's not something I have to worry about, since this will be on my little home network with one client running at a time.

Although... with an Android app available that emulates an Extender, it may be something I'd want to consider. Watch a show on LiveTV on my big-screen, and check my lobby-cam on my tablet...
Len, if you wanted to hide your server in a closet or something, there are HD300s available on this forum in the "marketplace". Many folks have been selling units which have never even been used. Even with only a couple of TVs, it's easier to have a "TV remote" in your hand and use something that "just works". The HD300s really are great little boxes and way ahead of their time. Only real limitation is they'll never play above 1080p...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Asking this question on the SageTV forum is like a Fox News interview with Trump

SageTV was a very good product but development has stalled. If you like what you see and figure that is good enough for the years ahead go with it.

To me it comes down to clients. SageTV had some great clients especially the HD300 but you'd have to be a diehard to buy one now. If you want an HTPC and like old school UI SageTV might be a better choice. However I'd seriously look at Kodi as a client since it runs on so many good cheap devices. If you like Kodi, then you don't have to waste too much more time.

For clarification NextPVR has had SD support since it beginning before SageTV and had zap2it support before that when there was a guide.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:54 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Len, if you wanted to hide your server in a closet or something, there are HD300s available on this forum in the "marketplace".
I can't hide my server in a closet - don't have the closet space. I'm quite happy with it sitting above my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee
If you want an HTPC and like old school UI SageTV might be a better choice. However I'd seriously look at Kodi as a client since it runs on so many good cheap devices. If you like Kodi, then you don't have to waste too much more time.
I actually *am* looking at Kodi as a client - but that's down the road a little, once I get both working individually to my satisfaction I know that Kodi has a SageTV plugin - but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while. I hope that's because it's still operable under the newest versions...
Old 05-21-2020, 05:58 PM
Sage User

One other question, while I'm at it...

Assuming that I am forced to use IR controls for both of my STBs - does Sage have a way of keeping the codes separate for each box? I know that my cable box and my satellite box use two different sets of codes to control them - since they don't interfere with each other - so can Sage learn a different set of codes for each box?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
One other question, while I'm at it...

Assuming that I am forced to use IR controls for both of my STBs - does Sage have a way of keeping the codes separate for each box? I know that my cable box and my satellite box use two different sets of codes to control them - since they don't interfere with each other - so can Sage learn a different set of codes for each box?
Yes. You create a separate .ir file for each box that contains the correct codes.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 05-22-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Yes. You create a separate .ir file for each box that contains the correct codes.
Wonderful! Thanks.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:46 AM
Sage User

Another setup question...

Something confusing me about the setup...

There's a point where you're asked to adjust two yellow arrows, in order to calibrate the viewing size of your screen. I have the Windows version, and the setup opens in a window - this makes calibrating the screen rather pointless, since you're only calibrating to the size of the window. I can't see any means to change this to run in a full-screen mode via the Program Properties - I can maximize the window, but not change it to a separate screen.

Does it matter?
Old 05-27-2020, 07:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Something confusing me about the setup...

There's a point where you're asked to adjust two yellow arrows, in order to calibrate the viewing size of your screen. I have the Windows version, and the setup opens in a window - this makes calibrating the screen rather pointless, since you're only calibrating to the size of the window. I can't see any means to change this to run in a full-screen mode via the Program Properties - I can maximize the window, but not change it to a separate screen.

Does it matter?
It's been a long time since I've gone through the setup, but the quick answer is this does not matter unless you are running on a TV that has overscan. Regardless, it is easy to run this overscan calibration again after setup is complete by navigating to setup->detailed setup->multimedia->overscan settings.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage User

Okay - skip the initial calibration, and do it if it becomes necessary.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage Icon

It only affects the menu UI anyway (AFAIK).
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
It only affects the menu UI anyway (AFAIK).
I think you are right. Occasionally I notice that the UI screens look a bit askew and this needs to be adjusted.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I think you are right. Occasionally I notice that the UI screens look a bit askew and this needs to be adjusted.
If you have a plasma or oled tv this will happen periodically as the TV subtly shifts the image for burn-in protection.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:33 AM
Sage User

DirecTV control...

Out of curiosity...

The DirecTV control module - what does it do, exactly?

What I mean is - the standalone DirecTV control program has a function that not only changes channels... but turns on the box, sets the channel, and exits the OSD.

Also - has it been tested with the H25 series of boxes? Are there parameters to set, other than which serial port to use?

I haven't reached that point in my setup yet, and would like a little idea of what to expect...