SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Without digging into the LOCAST website too much, is it absolutely tied to geolocation such that you can ONLY get the locals in your area and you have to be in the "viewing area" of one of their sites? Or could you easily VPN your way around it?

The reason I ask - and this would seem to me to be a big sticking point - is rights to professional sports games. For instance, if you live in Chicago you can watch the Bears on your local CBS or Fox, but if you are a Bears fan living somewhere else, your only options to see the Bears would be paying for something like DirecTV's NFL package (premium $$$). MLB is well-known too for paying to keep cutting-edge algorithms in place to prevent people from watching out-of-market games. With LOCAST, if there was not strict geolocation, you could choose Chicago as your locals and watch the Bears or Cubs game. It would be way cheaper for sports fans to get LOCAST just for out-of-market sports than to pay for the officially-sanctioned league option.

So while they may not get shut down by the FCC, they may get sued by the NFL or MLB.
When I signed up for LOCAST, they used my IP address to assign me to a broadcast area. You can always use a VPN to spoof a different location. But the majority of people don't know what a VPN is and even fewer know how to select a different location. It is only the tech nerds like us that would even think of that.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 10-19-2020, 11:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
When I signed up for LOCAST, they used my IP address to assign me to a broadcast area. You can always use a VPN to spoof a different location. But the majority of people don't know what a VPN is and even fewer know how to select a different location. It is only the tech nerds like us that would even think of that.
I would have agreed with that statement 5 to 10 years ago but the younger generation is tech-savvy enough to use VPN without blinking. Heck, I read a story a while back (might have been linked here somewhere) about the massive amount of bootleg sites used by viewers in the 18-25 year old range to watch sporting events (the story specifically was talking about the NBA and how the NBA is dealing with it). Bootleg sites (which the story said are widely shared on Reddit) are, of course, often bandwidth-limited, often grainy, often riddled with malware and pop-ups, and by their nature are quite delayed from real time (sometimes 90 seconds to 2 minutes behind). If you told a 22 year old kid (let's say from Chicago) who was off at college that he could have perfectly-reliable and clear stream of the Cubs and Bears for $5/month just by using VPN, I bet he'd figure it out even if he didn't know how already. Cheaper than Netflix...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
I would have agreed with that statement 5 to 10 years ago but the younger generation is tech-savvy enough to use VPN without blinking.
This isn't as relevant for Locast but this particularly the case for folks outside of the US. For years we had to use VPNs to get access to Netflix, or other OTT services. But the streaming services have become much better at blocking folks using VPNs and other methods.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Or if only you could add a M3U tuner in SageTV or OPENDCT. I have TVE XFINITY and Locast working on EMBY/NEXTPVR using Channels DVR as a backend supplying the M3U feed.
Can you explain how to do this (using Emby/NextPVR with channels DVR)? I have never used Emby or NextPVR before so I have no idea on how to do what you mention.

Thanks,
Chuck
Recording Drive's: 2 x WD WD4001FAEX (4 TB)
Tuner's: 2 x Ceton InfiniTV 4's
Clients: 3 x Nvidia Shield TV's; Spares: 2 x HD300's
SageTV v9.1.2.662 with OpenDCT v0.5.28
Java 1.8.0_111-b14 (32bit)
Old 10-24-2020, 04:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Living in Canada, I decided to see what happens when I hit the LOCAST site, and it detected that I was not in the US and blocked me. So I fired up a VPN and tried again, and it still blocked me. I thought maybe something was cached in the browser, so I installed FireFox and tried again with the VPN, and still blocked. Locast kept requesting my browser's GPS location and it appears to have used that. So, using Chrome I opened the debug tools and set my GPS location to someplace in the US different than my VPN location, and sure enough, LOCAST let me in. I don't intend to do anything with it, but I just wanted to see if the VPN would work, and it appears it needs the browser GPS access.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Living in Canada, I decided to see what happens when I hit the LOCAST site, and it detected that I was not in the US and blocked me. So I fired up a VPN and tried again, and it still blocked me. I thought maybe something was cached in the browser, so I installed FireFox and tried again with the VPN, and still blocked. Locast kept requesting my browser's GPS location and it appears to have used that. So, using Chrome I opened the debug tools and set my GPS location to someplace in the US different than my VPN location, and sure enough, LOCAST let me in. I don't intend to do anything with it, but I just wanted to see if the VPN would work, and it appears it needs the browser GPS access.
I was right, tech nerd.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

I also confirmed that LOCAST only broadcasts in Stereo, not 5.1.

I guess I am back trying to find an antenna that will work. Maybe I will wait to see what happens with the HDHR Quatro 4K (ATSC 3.0).
Old 01-29-2021, 01:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just curious if this would work with SageTV.
https://github.com/fHDHR/fHDHR_Locast
SageTV works with HDHomeruns and since this emulates one, would it just work?
Old 01-29-2021, 08:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
Very interesting work. I might try to play with that when I get a chance.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 02-18-2021, 03:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm on my second month now of Locast service and am not using a VPN. I used a VPN to signup for the service but they don't seem to be actively checking/cancelling service for users with IP's that seem to be out of their service range. I'll create a new account and use a VPN if that occurs.

An antenna will potentially get you better quality (1080i vs 720p and 5.1 audio) but there are many areas where the channels are not going to be available with the best antenna. They just aren't broadcast in all areas.

So if you're somebody that likes the old shows on the secondary networks that are relegated to subchannels -- Locast is a good way of getting all of them from a single DMA.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:14 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
I played around with this this weekend (See details here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66689).

It doesn't work out of the box (meaning OpenDCT and Sage don't see the fHDHR emulated device). I think because fHDHR implemented a different, more limited, API than they do.

However, it can still work because fHDHR exposes other streaming endpoints and it's pretty easy to create a Generic HTTP Device in OpenDCT to use them. I did it with Pluto TV but I'm pretty sure the same would work with the fHDHR Locast plugin.

--John
Old 04-08-2021, 06:50 AM
Sage User

how did you do this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
I played around with this this weekend (See details here: https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66689).

It doesn't work out of the box (meaning OpenDCT and Sage don't see the fHDHR emulated device). I think because fHDHR implemented a different, more limited, API than they do.

However, it can still work because fHDHR exposes other streaming endpoints and it's pretty easy to create a Generic HTTP Device in OpenDCT to use them. I did it with Pluto TV but I'm pretty sure the same would work with the fHDHR Locast plugin.

--John
can you supply more info on how to do this

THANX
MITCH
If I had a son he would be a son of a Mitch
Old 04-08-2021, 07:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have been trying to get a good OTA signal for the past year and running into some problems. The only alternative seems to be putting an antenna on the roof. I then found LOCAST which has been working great. (And at $5 a month it is a real bargain)

Recently Channels DVR added LOCAST as a supported tuner. I tried it and it works great recording broadcast channels. ($8 per month)

It got me thinking, if Channels DVR was able to write a software tuner for LOCAST, why couldn't someone create an OpenDCT type of network tuner that SageTV could use to record from LOCAST?

What does everyone think?
How far are you from OTA transmission towers? I’m perfectly 60 miles from two different, major cities, just enough to get very weak, unreliable service from both.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-08-2021, 12:05 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchcecg View Post
can you supply more info on how to do this

THANX
MITCH
Mitch, in the linked post the steps I outlined should work for Locast too but install the Locast fHDHR source plugin instead of (or in addition to) the PlutoTV source plugin.

--John
Old 07-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
I'm doing this, also importing the recordings to SageTV. Just make sure you scan the TV show directories, not the base directory. You don't want to import the "grab" directory. Commercial skip is working better than Comskip too.

I'd love to be able to add it as a "tuner".
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit
Old 08-14-2021, 08:18 AM
Sage User

A little more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
Mitch, in the linked post the steps I outlined should work for Locast too but install the Locast fHDHR source plugin instead of (or in addition to) the PlutoTV source plugin.

--John
I am still lost as how to make it work. I am not a programmer. Therefore I would appreciate more detailed instructions if you would be so kind.

THANX
MITCH
Old 08-14-2021, 09:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchcecg View Post
I am still lost as how to make it work. I am not a programmer. Therefore I would appreciate more detailed instructions if you would be so kind.

THANX
MITCH
I have been a fan of SageTV for over a decade, but it is starting to show its age.

In addition to the SageTV service, you need to have OpenDCT service and now the fHDHR services for LOCAST and Pluto. I have been using Channel DVR to record LOCAST for the past few months. It is built into the core product. (And they have a very simple way to add Pluto TV.) You can easily point SageTV to the Channels DVR recording directory and import the files.

And there is the issue of support. As much as I appreciate the dedication from this community, it is not a true support team. The Channels DVR developer answers questions within 24 hours and releases fixes to problems within days. (Reminds me of the early days of SageTV. )

I am still planning on going to an antenna since LOCAST audio is only stereo and I can get 5.1 from an antenna. At that time, I will probably make the switch to Channels DVR for my recording engine.

Something you should look into.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Something you should look into.
Without injecting $15k to $20k a month for a [very small] dedicated programming team, I don't see how we could ever get this done here.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Without injecting $15k to $20k a month for a [very small] dedicated programming team, I don't see how we could ever get this done here.
Sorry, I phrased it badly. I was suggesting that Mitch look into LOCAST, not that SageTV create a support team.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry back atcha. I missed where you were going with that. I'll have to check out the Locast integration into Sage - that would be interesting.