SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
I had a similar problem with paths and the TXT file not being created. Just make sure on the EXECUTE_PROCESS command that you use the Video File's path as the working directory. Put COMSKIP in your WINDOWS directory (or any other directory in your PATH statement) and it should work fine.

The detection is actually sooooo much better than the earlier version. Great work guys!

Lauren
Old 09-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

I downloaded the comskip plugin from Malore's site. I placed it in the Wizbin folder and enable the setting for the comskip to work. When I look in my D drive where my movies are recorded I see to text files one is empty the other looks like it was made by the comskip program telling me when it started and ended. When I play a show that had this done it does not show me where the skips are placed. Just a solid green line across the timeline. I watch the show and there is no commerical skips.
Any Ideas anyone.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Sage Expert

Not to take away from Malore's great work, but try mine and see if it works for you. And Malore, if you want to take the code I changed in mine to do multiple segments, by all means, you can copy it if you want.

In my last post, that was what I did to make it work with the new version. This change wasn't required with previous versions. But considering how well the newest version works, it was worth the time to "fix" mine.

Lauren
Old 09-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks I'll try it
Old 09-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Sage Icon

Question

This may be a complex question to a simple answer ... but ...

I have seen a lot of chat about this ComSkip function all around this forum and really what to try it. I have been holding off waiting for any bugs to be worked out. I really desire to use it with Nielm's STV 1.5. But here's where I am confused. I have seem that ComSkip can be used with the originator STV, Malore's and then Lauren Glenn's STV and now Nielm's. It is also referred to as a plug-in or even integrated. I was hoping to eliminate a bunch of searching and just ask if there is a simple step by step list on how to install and set up Comskip with Nielm. I mean, I know I can download the files from wiki, but exactly where should go. Again, I am feeling like this is simpler than I think.

THANKS!, T.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
This may be a complex question to a simple answer ... but ...

I have seen a lot of chat about this ComSkip function all around this forum and really what to try it. I have been holding off waiting for any bugs to be worked out. I really desire to use it with Nielm's STV 1.5. But here's where I am confused. I have seem that ComSkip can be used with the originator STV, Malore's and then Lauren Glenn's STV and now Nielm's. It is also referred to as a plug-in or even integrated. I was hoping to eliminate a bunch of searching and just ask if there is a simple step by step list on how to install and set up Comskip with Nielm. I mean, I know I can download the files from wiki, but exactly where should go. Again, I am feeling like this is simpler than I think.

THANKS!, T.
I can't speak for Nielm's STV, but the COMSKIP EXE is just a DOS program and doesn't really need anything special to run. Just put a copy in the same directory as the STV file, and also put a copy of both COMSKIP.EXE and COMSKIP.INI in your C:\WINDOWS directory (or any other directory in the path)

This way you leave no stone unturned. If the STV doesn't specify a path when running COMSKIP.EXE, putting it in one of your PATH directories will make sure that it runs.

You can even drag & drop MPG files on COMSKIP exe and it will generate the files.

The default COMSKIP.INI works fairly well and for most uses, probably won't need to be changed to work.

Lauren
Old 09-30-2004, 07:05 PM
Sage Expert

Nielm, I would really like for you to include Laurenglenn's multiple file comskip routine.

Also, a major help would be if a favorite could be set to only record up to a certain number of shows...and then stop (not keep replacing as is now the case). That way if I record 5 Raymonds...I don't waste any more time recording more. And, I don't have to keep comskipping new Raymonds. This would help comskip keep up with the recordings. Right now, some shows are recorded so often (even when set to only record 5 shows) that I can't keep up with comskip.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
Nielm, I would really like for you to include Laurenglenn's multiple file comskip routine.

Also, a major help would be if a favorite could be set to only record up to a certain number of shows...and then stop (not keep replacing as is now the case). That way if I record 5 Raymonds...I don't waste any more time recording more. And, I don't have to keep comskipping new Raymonds. This would help comskip keep up with the recordings. Right now, some shows are recorded so often (even when set to only record 5 shows) that I can't keep up with comskip.

Thanks!
In the Favorite Manager, turn off AutoDelete and set Keep At Most at 5 in the Raymond favorite.

Lauren
Old 09-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Sage Expert

This setup would never delete a show. I would still record every Raymond....and I will have all of them. I know it sounds wierd but it doest just stop recording at 5. Check out http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...odelete+record
and
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...odelete+record

Giant pain in the butt!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenglenn
I can't speak for Nielm's STV, but the COMSKIP EXE is just a DOS program and doesn't really need anything special to run. Just put a copy in the same directory as the STV file, and also put a copy of both COMSKIP.EXE and COMSKIP.INI in your C:\WINDOWS directory (or any other directory in the path)

This way you leave no stone unturned. If the STV doesn't specify a path when running COMSKIP.EXE, putting it in one of your PATH directories will make sure that it runs.

You can even drag & drop MPG files on COMSKIP exe and it will generate the files.

The default COMSKIP.INI works fairly well and for most uses, probably won't need to be changed to work.

Lauren
Thanks a lot Lauren ... I will follow your directions ...

Oh, so then I should use the .031 version Jere Jones provided links to above ... Correct??

T.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

Comskip 0.32

I appologize for so many updates so quickly, but I'd like to see comskip at least be able to FINISH running on everyones system.

Here's an update to try and fix any issues people are still having with comskip running correctly. For those that have comskip working with version .31, don't worry about this update.

<EDIT>
For those curious -- What changed, in a nutshell, is that previously, if comskip was run without a full path, it would assume that the exe existed in the current working directory. Obviously, this isn't always the case (e.g. when comskip is in the PATH), so now if comskip is run without a path, when it tries to rerun itself, it doesn't use a path either. Previously, it used a .\ for the path. No longer.
</EDIT>

I can't stress enough that if comskip isn't working for you, I need your help to fix it. All you need to do is set verbose=10 in the comskip.ini and send me the resultant log file.

Jere
Attached Files
File Type: zip comskip.0.32.src.zip (20.3 KB, 191 views)
File Type: zip comskip.0.32.zip (87.4 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by Jere_Jones; 10-01-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones
I appologize for so many updates so quickly, but I'd like to see comskip at least be able to FINISH running on everyones system.

Here's an update to try and fix any issues people are still having with comskip running correctly. For those that have comskip working with version .31, don't worry about this update.

I can't stress enough that if comskip isn't working for you, I need your help to fix it. All you need to do is set verbose=10 in the comskip.ini and send me the resultant log file.

Jere
Personally, I love the work you're doing. Keep the updates coming! It's getting better with each release.

mightyt:
As far as for which version to use, I haven't tried 0.32 yet (I will by tomorrow) -- it's getting late....

The ZIP links Jere gives us are the same files that are mirrored on the www.sage-community.org site, I think.

Lauren
Old 09-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Sage Icon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones

Jere
Jere ... Why would I need "comskip[1].0.32.src.zip" ?? I believe it is just the source code for your ComSkip, but what would a user of "ComSkip" need it for?

Oh, and I will probably be thanking you for updates once I actually implement it ...

Thanks, T.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

The source code isn't necessary for a normal user. But there are a couple people working on adjusting comskip for their specific circumstances. The guys over a GB-PVR are the only ones I know of, but they are using it.

It also lets the programmers see what changes I made and maybe make suggestions if it's not working for them.

If you don't need/want it, don't download it. Your choice.

Jere
Old 10-01-2004, 08:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Providing source code is also a requirement for gpl copy-lefted software.

Last edited by malore; 10-01-2004 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Sage User

Jere_Jones, is it possible to enable blank frame detection, scene change detection, and fuzzy logic at the same time (disabling logo detection)? I record Seinfeld re-runs on TBS and logo detection doesn't work because the channel logo doesn't appear until about 30 sec. after commercial breaks.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm
Jere_Jones, is it possible to enable blank frame detection, scene change detection, and fuzzy logic at the same time (disabling logo detection)? I record Seinfeld re-runs on TBS and logo detection doesn't work because the channel logo doesn't appear until about 30 sec. after commercial breaks.
It should still work correctly since the presence of a logo doesn't set any boundries. It only says that any "block" containing a logo is not a commercial.

My recommendation is set verbose=10 and email me your logs. I record Macgyver reruns on TBS also and haven't run into a problem, so I believe that the problem can be resolved by settings. If not, then I'll need to make changes/additions to the code itself.

Jere
Old 10-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Sage Fanatic

litterm,

In my rambling, I didn't answer your question. So here goes: No. Fuzzy Logic, by definition (mine at least) uses all available information.

That said... I'll put that on my todo list. Right now my todo list looks like this:
  1. Improved logging
  2. Put more options in the .ini file
  3. Improve selection of methods to allow a wider variety of combinations.
  4. Adaptive thresholds for scene changes, black frames, and block selection.
  5. Use Closed captioning information -- maybe with keyword weighting (Note to STV makers: this would mean MPG2SRT has to be run BEFORE comskip)
  6. Allow selection of different .ini files (through command line parameter or some sort of database)
Regarding the version numbers, I plan to use the tenths place for functionality upgrades and the hundredths place for bugfixes. IOW, 0.32 to 0.33 is only a bugfix, but 0.39 to 0.40 adds some functionality. This should help anyone that has comskip working fine. If the latest version has the same tenths value, then there "should" be no need to upgrade.

Jere
Old 10-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Sage Expert

How about different .ini files for different shows? You could have one general .ini, but if there is a specific show that matches an .ini than it would be used. If not per show, than how about per channel?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

That was pretty much the idea of being able to select different .ini's.

Bear in mind that selectable .ini's is fairly low on the priority list. First comes getting it to run to completion on a variety of setups. (HINT: Let me know if it isn't working)

Jere