SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Sage Icon

Hmm.. Well... Mine in my properties file says VBR=1. I assume that means it is VBR... (?)

Jason Bottjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJoel
I need to switch my recording profile from "DVD Standard Play" to one that uses constant bit rate (to test some issues with the MEdia MVP client).

Are there any CBR base recording profiles that will still have closed captions in them for use in COMSKIP??

Thanks in advance!

Jason Bottjen
Old 11-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

I see the source of my confusion now; they seem to have changed all the DVD settings from CBR to VBR in SageTV 2.1.

SageTV 2.0:
seeker/recording_qualities/DVD\ Extra\ Long\ Play\ ~\ 1.8GB\ per\ hr=DVD Extra Long Play,384,48000,4125000
seeker/recording_qualities/DVD\ Long\ Play\ ~\ 2.5GB\ per\ hr=DVD Long Play,384,48000,5750000
seeker/recording_qualities/DVD\ Standard\ Play\ ~\ 3.25GB\ per\ hr=DVD Standard Play,384,48000,7250000

SageTV 2.1:
mmc/python2_encoding/DVD\ Extra\ Long\ Play=videobitrate\=3000000|peakvideobitrate\=4400000|vbr\=1|width\=720|height\=480|audiobitrate\=384|outputstreamtype\=10|audiosampling\=48000
mmc/python2_encoding/DVD\ Long\ Play=videobitrate\=4800000|peakvideobitrate\=6000000|vbr\=1|width\=720|height\=480|audiobitrate\=384|outputstreamtype\=10|audiosampling\=48000
mmc/python2_encoding/DVD\ Standard\ Play=videobitrate\=6400000|peakvideobitrate\=8000000|vbr\=1|width\=720|height\=480|audiobitrate\=384|outputstreamtype\=10|audiosampling\=48000

Looking at the settings I think this custom setting should work for sagetv 2.1.
mmc/python2_encoding/DVD\ CBR=videobitrate\=3800000|vbr\=0|width\=720|height\=480|audiobitrate\=384|outputstreamtype\=10|audiosampling\=48000
Old 11-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Administrator

In 2.0, the base mmc/python2_encoding settings were not visible, so they could have been VBR w/o us being able to see it. The Best, Fair, Good, & Great rates also have outputstreamtype=10, same as DVD lines -- they are CBR, so maybe they will do CC w/o having to creating a custom DVD rate? (I haven't tried this.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Maybe Frey changed the default values for those settings at some point in the beta so more settings allowed CC? I just looked at one of my old install dirs & its properties file had it set to 0. All of my current installations have it set to 10. These comparisons were based on basic configuration properties where I deleted the old ones so that a new prop file was created with the default settings. But, even my normal-usage properties files with all my customizations now have outputstreamtype=10 for the rates I mentioned.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

Back in v2.0 the DVD qualities were VBR (as reported by Ulead DVD MF info).

I do believe Frey did alter the other settings in v2.1 to be DVD compliant, and yes the the ones you listed do work for CC (which is why I assume the streamtype was actually changed for them in v2.1, but could also have been to make burning DVD's easier without a need to re-encode).
Old 11-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the info everyone!

Jason
Old 11-12-2004, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Back in v2.0 the DVD qualities were VBR (as reported by Ulead DVD MF info).
all streams are somewhat VBR, but I believe the DVD qualities are really setup to be CBR

you can use a CBR format such as MAX quality and then use the nvidia decoders and you will see it is not constant

but then of course Frey could have made them VBR but one way to check is to do the math
Old 11-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
but then of course Frey could have made them VBR but one way to check is to do the math
Another way to check is to look at the properties file and see that the DVD rates are set as malore posted them above, with vbr=1 & videobitrate and peakvideobitrate set to differnet values.

- Andy
Old 11-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Sage Expert

Jere,

Wanted to let you know that the new comskip .61 is now crashing on me when run from a remote sageTV client. The last version was fine. I'll enable logging and send you the log.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Just out of curiosity, would there be any interest in running comskip on shows as they are recording? I figure this would have 3 major advantages:
  1. Fewer resources required since comskip could only process at 25/30 fps.
  2. Commercials could be flaged before the show is even finished (kind of a "flag as you go" concept)
  3. A full detection would be complete about 4-5 seconds after the show is finished, instead of 7-20 minutes.
Any input/opinions/ideas?

Jere
Old 11-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones
Just out of curiosity, would there be any interest in running comskip on shows as they are recording?
Jere
Absolutely If it can be done.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Sage Expert

That would be perfect!
Old 11-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, would there be any interest in running comskip on shows as they are recording?
Definately sounds like a good idea - I'm just wondering about the file sharing/permissions aspect of it... but you're the guy writing the code, so what am I worried for

-AJ
Old 11-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to krutaw
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, would there be any interest in running comskip on shows as they are recording? I figure this would have 3 major advantages:
  2. Commercials could be flaged before the show is even finished (kind of a "flag as you go" concept)
  3. A full detection would be complete about 4-5 seconds after the show is finished, instead of 7-20 minutes.

Jere
OMG ... you would be my hero!

Andy Kruta A+, CNA, MCSA, Network+, RHCE

"It's kinda fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney
Old 11-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Sage Icon

Ditto! Would be pretty groovy. Although what would happen if lets say 4 shows were recording at once? I'd be concerned about the cpu load at that point.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I thought of another request - this is more for the STV makers though - it'd be really nice to have a little icon or screen or something that let's you know that comskip is running. It would be even cooler if it could tell you which file it was processing. I'm not sure how easy and/of if this is even possible. But I thought that maybe since Sage calls comskip and tells it which file to run.... anyway, just a thought.

As always, thanks for all the hard work by everyone out there, I am really enjoying the end product!

-AJ
Old 11-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Jere
Next you'll have it working on LIVE TV!!!
Old 11-13-2004, 02:04 AM
Sage Fanatic

Ok, I've got comskip scanning a file as it's being recorded. I've had it running on three shows as I was recording them with 15% cpu (after the logo had been identified). I also watched one of the shows as it was being recorded and comskip scanned (in addition to the other two shows being recorded at this time. As far as I could tell there was NO disk thrashing going on. Maybe comskip was getting it's info from a cache or something since it had just been written to the disk. :shrug:

Anyway, I'd like some ideas from the StudioHaves on how to notify sage that it needs to reload the .txt file. Right now, comskip acts as normal, just that the file is processed as it is recorded. Eventually, I plan on comskip writing identified commercials to disk as soon as it can. But to be useful, sage would have to reload the txt file and I don't think there is any reason to reload it every second. Maybe use one of the custom commands to reload the file. Then if comskip wrote a new commercial break to the file, then comskip would send an event to sage to say "HEY, there's new information!!! Come and get it!!!!" or something similar. At this point comskip really WOULD work on LiveTV.

I'll release it as soon as I get Deadbolt's log so I can figure out why it's crashing on him.
Jere
Old 11-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Sage Icon

Udaman, Jere. I can't wait to try it out.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:39 AM
Sage Icon

YES. That would be very handy!

Is lame to tell it to COMSKIP (because there is no CA indication), and then have it say '0 files processed in 0 seconds' (or whatever) because it is already processing...

They could get this info from the BAT file that COMSKIP makes when it is procesing a file.

Add that your to-do list Cayars ( ).

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuhawk
I thought of another request - this is more for the STV makers though - it'd be really nice to have a little icon or screen or something that let's you know that comskip is running. It would be even cooler if it could tell you which file it was processing. I'm not sure how easy and/of if this is even possible. But I thought that maybe since Sage calls comskip and tells it which file to run.... anyway, just a thought.

As always, thanks for all the hard work by everyone out there, I am really enjoying the end product!

-AJ