SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to remmy925 Send a message via AIM to remmy925 Send a message via Yahoo to remmy925
Real time comskip??? Whats next...pc drinks the beer for me? Thats freaking awsome!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy925
Real time comskip??? Whats next...pc drinks the beer for me? Thats freaking awsome!
Hmm, how about you switch to my STV. I can print you a packing label and you can send the beer to me and I'll drink it for you. That's about as automated as I'd want that function to be.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by turak
by enabling CC do you mean the registry key?
Yes, and making sure you're running a "DVD profile" for recording.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to remmy925 Send a message via AIM to remmy925 Send a message via Yahoo to remmy925
Actually Cayars I am using your stv... Will tell you what, I will buy you the beer when someone pays me for my work on the channel logos.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy925
Actually Cayars I am using your stv... Will tell you what, I will buy you the beer when someone pays me for my work on the channel logos.
Hey, I just started using some of your channel logs (quite nice), so let's call it even!
Old 11-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

I need some help getting Comskip to work. I downloaded Malore's comskip and CAMyers comskip, unzipped them into the SageTV foldre but I donot see anything different in my menu's or commands.

Can someone please tell me what I've done wrong or if I missed a step somewhere...

THanks
Old 11-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

Have you selected the Comm Detect on any of the movies to get ComSkip to run on it?
Old 11-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgroves
I need some help getting Comskip to work. I downloaded Malore's comskip and CAMyers comskip, unzipped them into the SageTV foldre but I donot see anything different in my menu's or commands.

Can someone please tell me what I've done wrong or if I missed a step somewhere...

THanks
After seeing your post in the Cayars thread, did switching stv's fix your problem?

Jere
Old 11-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Sage Expert

Cayars,

How will your future STV handle real-time comskip when multiple shows are being recorded at once? Will it comskip all? If that is too much CPU...can the comskip priority follow tunner priority?

Thanks!

Deadbolt
Old 11-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Sage Icon

What I did originally was have a routine running that looks for new files. It then would automatically start processing these files as it finds them. I found this to work "decent" if you have 1 tuner and you don't have any outstanding files that haven't already been processed.

Processing two files at the same time starts to take it's toll and you loose the real-time comskip. What I mean by this is that when you start processing 2 or more files at the same time your CPU is pegged and ComSkip isn't fast enough to keep up so in affect you end up being "near" real-time since you're only working 1/2 as fast (processing 2 files). Obviously 3 or 4 tuners and your only working 1/3 or 1/4 as fast as you could be processing only 1 file).

Since I can't determine what you intend to watch I simply removed the code to automatically start processing a shows as they are recorded. HOWEVER, what I did instead, was modify the base routines. I changed the functionality so that it doesn't wait for a show to be completely recorded before Comskip starts processing it. This actually works just as well since it doesn't know what show you're going to watch first either.

Other changes I made. I added more functionality to the OSD Options. When you're watching a show and bring up the options you will have one of two options near the bottom. One is "Comm Detect" and the other is "Com. Auto Skip". If there is no .txt file associated with the current show you will get the first option. If there is presently a .txt file then you will get the second option. This allows you to kick off ComSkip for the current show you are watching.

One other major change was made to the OSD. It now watches for changes in the .txt file. Any new commercials get automatically loaded in the TimeBar. So with this new functionality you get automatic updates of commercials in the TimeBar regardless of manual or system kicked off ComSkip.

I hope this helps explain how it will work in the first version. Once we/I get some feedback on this I can make adjustments and automate it further.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question

I am trying to enable cc for comskip

I am using a pvr-350 driver 1.17.390.22029
i set my quality to dvd Standard play

I added
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Globespan\Parameters\ivac15\Driver]
"InsertCCInDvd"=dword:00000001

to my reg I am using my pvr-350 out so I am wondering how I can tell if cc is working ? did I miss any steps ?
Old 11-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

You can run mpg2srt on the show in question. If it outputs any caption, there you go. A link to mpg2srt can be found in the FAQ.

Jere
Old 11-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

thanks
Old 11-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

I posting this for those who are curious about the future of comskip.

The simple answer is that I'm only going to fix bugs. There will be a version 0.63 because I seemed to have introduced some bugs that are a "bugger" to track down.

Is that the end of commercial detection development? No. The current framework that comskip is built on is simpy too limiting, so I'm developing another program that will be far more flexible. It will not be open source since I'm developing it from the ground up. The next generation will be much more "resource friendly" and adaptable. Basically I mean that it will pay attention to CPU usage and throttle itself. It will adapt its throttle depending on signals from SageTV.

An example: You are recording three shows and watching a previously recorded show. The new program will be running on all three as they are recording. Any "normal" cpu simply will not be able to detect all three as fast as they are recorded, but they can get a head start. No imagine that you want to watch one of the shows being recorded. Sage will be able to issue a command to the commercial detection programs to shift priorities, so the two you aren't watching will slow down and the one you are watching will speed up to stay ahead of you.

That is only one of my ideas for the new program. I have a few more that will be just as good. So if you were saddened by the "demise" of comskip, take heart, better things are around the corner.

Jere
Old 11-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Jere,

Could you be more specific about where to find mpg2srt. I have not been able to find a working link this morning and I am still trying to figure out why a Ford commercial is not getting scored correctly so I wanted to try looking at the CC directly. This is because I also can't seem to see CC directly in Sage though ComSkip is working fine finding the CC info!

Thanks,

Lynn
Old 11-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Sage Icon

Thats exactly what I've been hoping for Jere. Sounds super!
Old 11-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellweber
Jere,

Could you be more specific about where to find mpg2srt. I have not been able to find a working link this morning and I am still trying to figure out why a Ford commercial is not getting scored correctly so I wanted to try looking at the CC directly. This is because I also can't seem to see CC directly in Sage though ComSkip is working fine finding the CC info!

Thanks,

Lynn
How 'bout I do one better? I'm attaching it to this message.

Jere
Attached Files
File Type: zip mpg2srt.zip (47.3 KB, 169 views)
Old 11-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks,

Enjoy your turkey (or virtual turkey)!!!

Lynn
Old 11-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Jere,

I am stumped with this Ford commercial and I'm a Chevy kind of guy. Could you please take a look at the attached log and speculate on what is happening. It is from a segment of Desparate Housewives starting just before and ending just after a commercial break.

The Ford commercial is Block 1 and is followed by several other commercials that are more correctly identified. I realize that having short segments of show surrounding the commercials for the test segment distorts the results but it is easier to look at for tweaking the parameters and understanding. As I read the log the score is increased by finding "Ford" and "All-New" but up above it had been decreased by "CC's correct type" and drastically reduced by the SC modifier.

I'm still just trying to understand the logic well enough to tune the .ini file. It would be nice to have a key to the column headings for the "Block list after weighting" table somewhere in the docs. I am unsure what "cmbnd" represents, for example.

Thanks,

Lynn
Attached Files
File Type: txt DesperateHousewivesA.log.txt (38.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

I can do more with the log from the entire show. Set verbose=11, rerun it, send it to me and I'll take a look at it.

Jere