SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-31-2021, 07:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

I got Windows 11 on my SageTV box today. No issues of note. It wanted an update on Java, so I gave it one. The new Start menu is not as bad as Windows 10, but not very useful either. The search taskbar icon is more useful than the start button. That's how you get to settings.

It adds a startup sound that I disabled and about 3 different useless taskbar icons, chat and other bloat. It seemed to load my bulky SageTV install with less hiccups than I'm used to.

It also changed my optical drive back into D:. Oh to heck with it, I will leave it as D: now.

OpenShell works fine on this, good thing.
ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 MB, Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz, Crucial Ballistix Gaming 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200, EVGA GT 1030SC, WD Black NVMe SSD 250GB, 1x WD120EFAX 12TB, 1x WD80EFAX 8TB, 1x WDBH2D0040HNC 4TB, USB-UIRT, Colossus 2, WinTV-DualHD USB, Windows 11 64bit

Last edited by Malfunction; 11-07-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

I personally think the hubaloo about TPM has to do with internet security & the shift to Digital banking. Alot of the older hardware has security bugs. Most people ( meaning the non tech minded) won't know or bother with security patches for their hardware. If you are using a dedicated server for SageTV then it probably isn't an issue. The setup only talks to internet for software updates & updates to epg. The defense on that is what firewall etc security is in use to deal with any potential hacking breeches to setup.

Of course the other factor is the Hardware makers & Microsoft want to keep their control of the tech world as much as possible. If you can keep using your existing hardware, no need to update. That hurts their bottom line. Built in obsolescence for the hardware market.

There is the practical part that older hardware just can't process to the same abilities as newer current stuff. Some of the older hardware with security issues can't be fixed by software patches. Why do you think they are starting to encroach on the Linux world? They are probably using the motto of " If you can't beat'em join'em". They will then try to stage a coo from within for dominance. We have already seen some evidence of that with the Linux kernels. It is all about Business protecting their profits & control of the realm. The end user is the one screwed at the end. Mafia tactics at it's worst or best depending on your prospective.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:11 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction View Post
I got Windows 11 on my SageTV box today. No issues of note. It wanted an update on Java, so I gave it one. The new Start menu is not as bad as Windows 10, but not very useful either. The search taskbar icon is more useful than the start button. That's how you get to settings.

It adds a startup sound that I disabled and about 3 different useless taskbar icons, chat and other bloat. It seemed to load my bulky SageTV install with less hiccups than I'm used to.

It also changed my optical drive back into D:. Oh to heck with it, I will leave it as D: now.

OpenShell works fine on this, good thing.
Do captions (subtitles) work?
Old 02-09-2022, 03:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Good thing I upgraded to Win11 on a HTPC that is no longer being used for anything (Shield TV replaced it).

Anyway, Win11 is fine but it broke my v9 client software. It wouldn't start. So I un-installed and tried to re-install but it crashes when trying to access/write a registry key: \SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\DSFilters\AudioDec.

I ran a registry cleaner after un-installing and before re-installing. Anyway, the install won't work so I don't think I'll try to upgrade to 11 on my server anytime soon.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4runnr View Post
Good thing I upgraded to Win11 on a HTPC that is no longer being used for anything (Shield TV replaced it).

Anyway, Win11 is fine but it broke my v9 client software. It wouldn't start. So I un-installed and tried to re-install but it crashes when trying to access/write a registry key: \SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\DSFilters\AudioDec.

I ran a registry cleaner after un-installing and before re-installing. Anyway, the install won't work so I don't think I'll try to upgrade to 11 on my server anytime soon.
My laptop upgraded to W11 and I can still run the 64bit SageTV client just fine. That being said, I see no reason to upgrade my SageTV server to W11.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 02-10-2022 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4runnr View Post

Was there no ignore button on the registry error. Unfortunately that error is common and should be able to be ignored

K
Old 02-10-2022, 08:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Was there no ignore button on the registry error. Unfortunately that error is common and should be able to be ignored

K
There was. When I press ignore, a bunch more errors related to DLLs come up afterward. Its not a big issue for me. I use all miniclients now. Just worried about trying to upgrade to 11 on that houses the server after what happened with this HTPC.

After trying other programs. It appears it just might be the upgrade itself. I encounter other programs as well with the exact same error code. Maybe time to do a clean install. This pc has gone from Win7 to Win 10 to Win 11 via upgrades and never had a clean install since Win 7 came out. LOL.

Update: I did further digging and it was suggested to updated Microsoft Visual C apps. I did that and everything is back to normal. I'll see how it goes with this client. At least I'm less worried about a win 11 update on my server. I won't update anytime soon but when it comes time for that, I'll know what to do if i see the same error messages again.

If anyone does a Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade (vs a Win 11 clean install), and you get a 0xc00007b error message when trying to open SageTV client (and I guess maybe the app on your server), try repairing Microsoft Visual C++. The option to repair would be in Settings --> Apps --> Apps & Features. Find MS Visual C== and instead of uninstalling, click the repair option. Follow the prompts if any pop up. Since my PC went from Win 7 to Win 10 to Win 11, I had lots of versions of C++. I just repaired the most recent version for both the x86 and x64. After that repair, everything worked again. Even my other apps that exhibited this same error message.

Last edited by t4runnr; 02-14-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

IMO I think this has more to do with the shift to a digital economy & having data encrypted & locked down. Most of the older hardware doesn't meet that requirement. Sure, there is a bonus for the vested interests if we all need to upgrade to newer hardware specs as well. I am currently running WIn 10 on older hardware that wasn't officially supported by Microsoft either. I think it will run, with the caveat that your data wont be secure with those added hardware features & requirements found on the newer boards. Just dont use that pc for anything that needs to be secured. Running a media server won't be a deal breaker. Just take precautions so you don't infect anything else on network that does need to be secure. Meaning isolate it from the rest of your network.

Galaxysurfer

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 02-24-2022 at 09:25 PM.