SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Sage User

PVR500 and Xp resource problem - (Dell BIOS problem)

Hi! I just purchased a PVR-500 to work with my new SageTV system and I am having some problems getting Win XP to divert resources to the PVR. According to my Device manager, it says that while both tuners are installed they do not have the resources to function. So far I have disabled my floppy disk controller, and physically removed my PCI Wireless Netgear card; but still the same issue. I can not find drivers more recent than the 2.4 version that came with my PVR, any ideas?

Thanks,
Drew

System Setup: This is Dell factory system with a 2 more HDs and a SIIG disk controller upgrade otherwise all stock: Win XP Pro SP2, Intel Pentium 4 2.8, 1Gb Ram, ATI 9700 card AGP 8x 128mb, 200Gb Maxtor HD, 60Gb Hitachi HD, 40Gb WD HD, Intel Mb 845 chipset (I think)
Old 02-06-2005, 08:58 AM

have you try remove the SIIG disk controller
Old 02-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Sage User

A sad update

ARGGG! OK so thanks for the SIIG removal idea, did that no effect. I have all my HDs and CD/DVD drive on the motherboard now and only have my SoundBlaster Live and PVR-500 in my PCI slots - 1 & 4, with 2&3 empty. My ATI 9700 is in its AGP slot. I am still getting that the PVR does not have enough resources to work - VERY annoying. I am starting to think this has to be a driver issue, maybe? Any other ideas, it is killing me that I have all this HD space and Sage and I can't get anything running ;-)

Thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Heya,

Almost always in my setup with the PVR-250 and PVR-150 the problems I've had in getting a new capture card to work is a driver issue. Chances are the drivers from the CD are not current. Either way, give these a try:
ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/wintv-...0.24.23025.zip

Also poke around on that ftp site, might be some other tools/drivers/programs that would interest you.

Hope that helps,
RedR
Old 02-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Sage Expert

FWIW try removing it (assuming you didn't) from BIOS. While you're at it disable anything else IRT integrated peripherals; i.e. serial ports, parallel, game ports, etc.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Sage User

Still tryin...

Thanks for the help guys, but sadly still to no avail. I will give Hauppauge a call tomorrow and pray they can help me. Will keep everyone posted. Suprisingly the SHS drivers were the same as the ones on the Hauppauge install CD.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Sage User

Windows yes, BIOS no

So I'm pretending that the rest of you reading this are as interested in its outcome as I am ;-) I have found that the BIOS is not identifying the PVR on boot up. It has IRQ settings for my Vid card, sound blaster, and various other components but not the PVR. BUT Windows still finds it, any one know what my next step is?

I have Flashed my BIOS with the most current version from Dell.com - v. A08 - still nothing
Old 02-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry to hear your still having problems...
I am still suspectant of the drivers for the card is the problem. More than once I had Windows XP MCE see my PVR-250 and PVR-150 correctly in the device manager, but I couldn't get them working under Sage or in somecases WinTV. If your up to it, comb through the other directories of the SHS FTP site I linked, perhaps you can find something that'd help between now and tomorrow.
Also, I am assuming you are using HWClear.exe to blow out all previous instances/installs/configurations for the PVR-500. If not, its a must before using new drivers for the PVR-500. Either way, keep us posted..

Thanks,
RedR
Old 02-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Sage User

Thanks RedR, I think it is the driver too, but this no BIOS id has me concerned too. I swapped the PVR card to PCI slot 2, and put my NetGear Wireless card in slot 4 - where the PVR was. BIOS picked up the NetGear, but nada on the PVR. I'm sure that is not good. I have been using the HWClear.exe to make sure everything is gone each time. When I do I can't see the tuners in Device Manager at all. I looked around the SHS site but haven't found anything yet. If Hauppauge gives me any info I will post it, I'm hoping its their card and not my BIOS ;-)
Old 02-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well gald your still at it. and changing the slot its in was a great idea!!
Sadly I have to admit, my first PVR-250 was bad outta the box. Got it swapped out after a 2nd trip to the store, and all was well after that. Perhaps if you got it mail order, they'd be willing to ship another without having to get this one back first :/

Let us know,
RedR

PS- The SHS FTP is: ftp://ftp.shspvr.com/download/
Poke around, I found some really nice utils, apps, and drivers for my PVR's
Old 02-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I had the same problem on my HP. My symptoms were similar, but I had one of the 2 tuners show up and work and the other just didn't work with the resource issue. I tried removing everything like you did and disabling them and in the end the only solution was a new motherboard.

I do think there is a driver issue, but with how long it took to get the PVR 350 and the Roslyn Cards I opted for a new motherboard and processor to get what I wanted going.

John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 02-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Sage User

The saga continues

OK, so I talked to Hauppuage tech support today, they said they haven't heard of any driver problems that would cause what is going on with my system. SO they think it is hardware related too; either my mobo or their board. I'm going to talk to Frey Tech today, see if they will send me another PVR-500 and check that out on my system. Just in case it is my mobo, I just might be crazy enough to swap it out too. For those of you that have a PVR-500 working what mobo do you have? Newegg has lots and that is where I would get it. I just want to make sure that XP would not freak out if I swapped mobos on it. I'm cool with hardware install but if I have to reinstall all my software it might not be worth it...

Thanks again all - you have been VERY helpful
Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 AM

HeyGuy101 I have agree them that is hardware related need to say a lots OEM cut thing on Motherboard or don't add things in bios which may be help full.
If I was you I get a REAL Intel Desktop Board like D865PERL Mfr. Part #: BOXD865PERLL there are other 865 PERL board
Oh you really don't need that SIIG disk controller may sage box box has 3 250GB with one disk partion 10GB for OS and one CDRom but that up to you.
You should be aware that on board sound are junk so I was you, you may want think about get a better sound device.
Besure And back up before install the new motherboard becuase if XP crash switch may very well do you may need to do a Clean install and I see you have OEM system so which may end having get a XP CD.

Last edited by SHS; 02-07-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Sage User

Just a bit of news

FYI - I am talking with Frey and Dell to see if I can get some help now. As I have been told some of the new BIOS flash upgrades for my system have problems with certain hardward being installed - just my luck. Anyway, they are looking into it to see what can be done to help me out. Will keep ya posted...

THANKS!!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Sage User

Problem solved

It seems that the Dell BIOS update A08 for the Dimension 4550 is not compatible with my Hauppauge card. Dell has been getting alots of complaints about this upgrade, but has done nothing about. So in short, I am up and running now ;-) Just to figure out how to make my TV screen show my icons now...

Thanks again all!!
Old 02-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

so what did you do? downgrade your bios?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Sage User

Yep to version A06 - works like a charm now.