SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Client/Server Cyars question

I just downloaded cayars STV and really like it. I have been reading search returns for a while now and can't seem to find the answer to 2 simple questions.

1)commskip, how the hell do I set it up?

2)configuring the custom guides, how the hell do I do it?

I am slightly medicated (pain killers) so there is a good chance I have glazed over the answers, but some help would be appreciated.

Last edited by idvsego; 02-09-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

come on guys. I know it is simple and probably covered serveral times, but help me out a little. you can even call me an idiot while you help me.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am at work and this is off the top of my head, so if its a bit off I apologize, but it should get you going in the right direction...

For Comskip: This is the basic setup for Cayars v17. Go into Setup > Detailed > External and select Commercial Skipping. From there you should just have to adjust the settings to your liking. Make sure to enable it, and then you can choose the times when it will process (While Recording / While Awake). There should be a setting to AutoSkip, which you will want enabled also. Then start watching a show and pull up the on screen menu, where you must also select AutoSkip enabled. (There is a blurb about this in the first post of the Cayars STV thread. I'd suggest reading that also.)

Custom Guides: I don't use the custom guides much, but I think that you select one of them, lets say "Custom Guide 1". Then while in the guide, you can customize it by pulling up the menu. (Not sure how you personally do that. For me its the yellow button on the Hauppauge remote. Also either ESC I think, or right mouse button.) From this menu you can customize the Guide to your liking. I assume the settings will remain the same the next time you enter the guide, so you can customize all three to different settings.

Hope that helps a little. If no one else replies and corrects any mistakes (I'm sure) I made, then when I get home I'll go back through and edit my post.

-Dan
Old 02-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

I went through all that commskip stuff I am prettys ure. I'll go back and double check it though. either way, tanks for the reply.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Do the purple sections show up on the green progress bar at the bottom of the screen when you are watching a show?

If you look in your main video directory, are there any comskip files in there?

What happens when you start a manual comskip for a recording?

If you have intelligent recording turned on, or are just recording all the time, make sure that you have it set so comskip will run while you are recording.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, I configured it ont he server and it says that it is beginning hte commskip. I see the commskip files now. I don't have the "enable commskip" option when I start playing a file. I also don't ahve the purple segments I should have. If I view the files on the server, it works, just not on the client.

Last edited by idvsego; 02-09-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok I think I figured it out (I hope...)

Go to Detailed Setup > Interface > OSD Options and make sure "Show Comskip Options" is set to enabled. That should give you the autoskip option in the menu.

As for not seeing the purple segments, make sure that the video file you are watching actually has a comskip file in the same directory. Even when I set the aforementioned option to "Disabled" I still see the purple segments. It will take a while before all of your video files are processed if there were a lot on there before enabling comskip.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

that option is enabled. it is so wierd becauseit works on the serv, but not ont he client. going to do some more searching.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

To have the Client read the comskip files it is best to use UNC naming in the video directories of your server. It was the same problem that I had when I first started. I would think it is the same even with the Cayars STV. What I did with WIN 2000 (which is the server) was to create a new share. This was for the whole drive that was dedicated to recordings in my case. The folder holding the recordings was named "Media". I used the computer name - then the share name - then the folder name. In my case the computer is named Nacho, the share is Nacho_D - then the folder Media.
Then I renamed the video directory in Setup - Specify to \\nacho\nacho_d\media. (Just type it in) Did this in both Client and Server Setup tabs and presto it worked. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

I will try that when I get home. thanks. this has been bugging the crap out of me.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idvsego
I know it is simple and probably covered serveral times
yep
Old 02-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Goose
yep
haha. I said you could make fun of me as long as you were posting help.

actually, my problem was a little less discussed. It was because my shares did not have the same drive letter as the acutal drives on the server. So it turned out that it wasn't a typical setup problem. I was doing that right.