SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Sage Expert

Opening Splash Screen Weirded Out

Here's one I have not come across so far. I was downloading and adding a bunch of HD channel logos while Sage was running. I normally have Sage open to do this to get the correct channel "handle" from the EPG. I know that Sage has to be restarted for logos to be shown but that is not what I'm getting at.

I also edited a few logos while Sage was up. I had a couple of graphics programs open and had opened one of the existing logos to get the approximate size. This is where I suspect something went wrong.

Sage got sluggish and unresponsive while downloading, renaming and copying the logos into the Sage channel logo folder but I figured on a complete reboot anyway. On reboot, the opening startup splash screen is now a fraction of its normal windowed size cutting most everything out with only a bit of the status info being able to be seen. It's like I some how edited (cropped) the pixel size dimensions of the splash screen! After Sage comes up, everything else seems normal otherwise. I clsosed and restarted Sage numerous times but the splash screen remains corrupted.

I don't find a bit map file for the splash screen or anything in the registry on heigth, width params.

Anyone know what gives and how to get the splash screen back to normal?

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 02-16-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Sage Expert

A picture says more so click on JPEG below.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the startup splash screen, which also displays the Sage rev. level and is altered with every Sage update, resides in "wiz.bin" and a reinstall is needed to clean it up. This kind of thing should not happen and I think it a bug but probably could not ever reproduce it again.

DFA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CorruptSplash.jpg (53.8 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by DFA; 02-16-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Sage Expert

Jeff, Opus4, Nielm, Mlbdude, Stanger89, Cayers, et. al.?

You guys are strangely silent on this. No ideas?

I noted reference to several "GIF" files in the "Sage#.txt" debug file including one named "splash.gif" in a sub-folder "images". This does not exist on the HDD. Also, several jar files that do not exist in the Sage folder other than "Sage.jar".

Speculation at least?

DFA
Old 02-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Administrator

I think "silence" usually means "I have no idea", or perhaps "Maybe someone else will have a better idea".

Logos: SageTV doesn't really need to be restarted to load new logos -- they will eventually get loaded; restarting just speeds up that process. I don't know that I would edit an existing logo while it is running, though -- no idea if that would be a problem, just something I would be careful about.

Splash screen: As far as I know, that is an internal image (not wiz.bin) that you can't see/edit. I don't know what would get corrupted & mess up its display, so I would ask tech support what might have happened. In the meantime... have you tried starting with a fresh properties file? Depending on what version you are using, that can be tricky too regarding making sure that you don't have any problems with existing recordings. Back up your data files, of course.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Sage Expert

Opus4:

Thanks for comments. I did not edit a running logo, just opened it to check size. No "save" performed on it.

Running 2.2.5. I have backups but usually run about a week or so old. I have to wait for troops to call it a day and then will swap out "prop" file followed by "wiz" files just to check to see if it is related to either of those.

Fortunately, everything is running w/o glitch so is more a brain teaser than a catastrophe. But I know brain teasers are not unwelcome.

DFA
Old 02-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Sage Expert

Problem solved.

With XP, I have found on at least a half dozen or more occassions that simply "reatarting" or even "shutting down" is not sufficient to clear an odd problem. You have to take XP all the way to the basement and shut down and remove power so that the 5 VDC standby voltage is also removed (I usually let it soak 30 seconds before reapplying AC power). This was such a case. A restart or shutdown made no difference to the corrupted splash screen.

I have had a few cases of Sage studders that would not go away until taking XP all the way to the basement. So, if having problems that do not go away with a restart or warm shutdown, try complete power removal.

I never found this to be necessary with W2K.

Attached is JPEG of splash screen after doing nothing more than cycling XP through complete power down (AC power removal).

Almost a completly one way conversation thread!

DFA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UncorruptSplash.jpg (66.9 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by DFA; 02-17-2005 at 03:01 AM.