SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

force a channel change on record?

Hi all,

Just wondered if there was a setting i'm missing somewhere which will force it to change the channel when it's about to record a program for me?

What I mean is that currently if sage was on, say MTV and a program comes up on BBC1 then fine, it'll change. However if it's scheduled to record a program on MTV it wont change the channel on my digibox since naturally it assumes it's on the right channel anyway.

However.. if i've changed the channel on the digibox and it didnt pick up in sage then things get confused and sage won't change the channel and i miss my programs.

Any way to force it to send the channel commands via IR before recording even if it's recording on same channel?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 05:07 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

Sage will always send a new channel change command if it's different than the one it's currently recording. If you manually change the channel, Sage has no way of knowing so it won't know to try to change again.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes I know this is it's current behaviour, what i wanted to know was if ther was a way to get it to send a channel command even if it's on the same channel just incase it's out of synch? This would be very helpfull if the digibox channel had been changed bu the one on sage had not?
Old 07-03-2003, 08:51 AM

If I read this thread right....

Then you're saying that you(like a lot of people) have your external tuner hooked to SageTV, but you also use/need it to watch TV. This setup is great for when your not home(Sage control's it) or if you have both an anolog(for "real TV" viewing)and a coded(Cable/satellite/etc) signal.

So if you change your box's channel when SageTV is not using it then it all falls apart if Sage records the next show on the same channel as it's last recording.

This is disturbing, I currently have one PVR250 in my SageTV computer. The PVR250's tuner input is set to my cable companies anolog lineup(works great). I have the PVR250's composite input setup to use 5 of my digital cable box's channels(sad but only 5 are usefull). I don't yet have IR transmiter setup to control the digital cable box. I had assumed that once I had done so Sage would send a channel change command at the start of each new digital show. This is what would work best since most people don't bother to buy a second digital tuner just for SageTV. Yes I could use SageTv as my only way to watch TV. But I've had a Tivo for over 2 years and I have yet to stop using my TV's other inputs.

As it stands SageTv would only need to record about 2 hours a day on 3 digital channels to catch all the digital cable shows I want recorded. I can't believe I have to rent another digital cable box to prevent confusion. I know my wife and friends won't understand "Don't touch that digital tuner. You'll mess up sageTV. Use this digital tuner instead."

Can someone with a setup similiar to mine tell me if Sage will send a channel change command at the start of a new digital recording?
Will SageTV think it's already on the right channel if it recorded a show from that digital channel 2 days ago?(my system runs 24/7)
If this is true can I use Girder to get around this logic flaw?

I hope I misread this thread. Otherwise there is no point in hooking up an IR transmitter. If I read it correctly please add an option to send a channel change command at the start of each recording that use an external tuner box.

Last edited by justme; 07-03-2003 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

justme, yes the problem is when you dont use sage for liveTV mode then it will loose track of what channel you are on if you change it on your external digibox. A simple solution would be for sage to send the channel change sequence at teh start of every recording, that way it would definitley be recording the right channel.

But alas, we'll have to wait for that feature
Old 07-03-2003, 09:15 AM

OK so let's add it to the official feature request list. Especially while Jeff is currently coding a new round of betas. I just wanted a confirm before I posted this request. It seems like such an obvious thing I thought there would have already been an option in the properties file.

Much Thanx for catching this.