SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:48 AM

Plextor M402U: recordings with "hiccup" and "flashes"

When I record with SageTV in DivX quality I get "bumps and green flashes" on the recording. Bumps means that the image hiccups for few seconds.

I have seen they are perfectly in cycle (24 seconds the full cycle):
Second 1 to 8 the image starts hiccupping and with "green flashes"
second 9 to 24 no problem
second 25 the cycle starts again without ever stopping.

The "pulse" doesn't come from any external device or electric line as I do not get it with other capturing software.

I have tried to set a different decoder through "detailed setup" but nothing changes.
I tried a different refresh rate of my video card Nvidia Gforce AGP440 MX and no success.
I have got no tuner.

This is my hardware:
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.81 Ghz
Ram 2048 MB
Windows Xp Professional with Service Pack2
Video card NVIDIA
Plextor ConvertX M402U

I hope in your suggestions and I thank you in advance, Fabio.

Last edited by GARDEN; 02-19-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:44 PM

I just recently bought a M402U and I am having a similar experience. About every 15 to 30 minutes there will be a hiccup in the video. I see it with both with MPEG2 and DivX captures. Anyone else seeing this or know what is causing this?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 AM
Sage User

I also have a ConvertX PX-TV402U (same as OP's but with a tuner) and I get distorted recordings when I use DivX format. The timeline seems to be corrupted because when I play back the file the audio sounds like it's too fast and if I hit FF1 the audio then goes into slow motion and the video freezes up.
Recordings are fine with mpeg2 format, although the occasional frame will freeze momentarily (seems random and not periodic as OP noted). I'm running 6.1.8, and have had issues with the Plextor ever since upgrading to v6 from v5. I wonder how much testing the Sage folks actually did with the Plextor under v6, as this doesn't seem to be a very common piece of hardware out there. FWIW, I'm running the latest Plextor drivers (Version 2.0.2.2 December 13, 2004) under Windows XP sp2
Old 04-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have a M402U that sits gathering dust now. I had all sorts of issues with it and the quality was always considerably poorer than I would like it to be.

I think you'd be better off e-baying your plextors off and looking at other tuners. I switched to Hauppauge pvr-150s and Nova T's (for dvb-t) and would definitely recommend getting away from the plextors.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdom View Post
I also have a ConvertX PX-TV402U (same as OP's but with a tuner) and I get distorted recordings when I use DivX format. The timeline seems to be corrupted because when I play back the file the audio sounds like it's too fast and if I hit FF1 the audio then goes into slow motion and the video freezes up.
Recordings are fine with mpeg2 format, although the occasional frame will freeze momentarily (seems random and not periodic as OP noted). I'm running 6.1.8, and have had issues with the Plextor ever since upgrading to v6 from v5. I wonder how much testing the Sage folks actually did with the Plextor under v6, as this doesn't seem to be a very common piece of hardware out there. FWIW, I'm running the latest Plextor drivers (Version 2.0.2.2 December 13, 2004) under Windows XP sp2
So did the 402U work "flawlessly" with V5 (no glitches or freezes)? Hopefully the SageTV folks will look into the new problems introduced with V6. Outside of the video glitches, the video quality off of the s-video input seems very good.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:42 AM
Sage User

Yes, it worked great under v5. It seemed to initially work fine under v6 with mpeg2 format but now I'm starting to see corruption and freezes in recorded shows and live TV. I've made the decision to revert back to v5 as soon as I get a chance...