SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-22-2005, 03:34 PM
Sage User

FCC Mandated "Do Not Record Flag"

With the advent of this flag becoming active this July, can anyone tell us what version of SageTV enables this flag? Or will it not become enabled until a new release June 30, 2005?
Old 02-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to BerrantRyke Send a message via AIM to BerrantRyke Send a message via Yahoo to BerrantRyke
do you have any links to an official FCC press release on this?
Client1: HTPC Case, GF8500 Fanless Video Card, P4 3.2Ghz, 1GB Ram, MSI 945GM3-F Main Board, 500w Silent Modular Cable Power Supply. Connected to 37" LCD HDTV by VGA cable. 2.1 Speakers for sound. Running SageTV 6.1.9 with SageMC + Google Calender (WAF 9.5/10)
Client2 & 3: MediaMVP's with SageMC
Old 02-22-2005, 04:49 PM
SageTVaholic

We need a version of SageTV that supports HDTV before we need to worry about that.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Of course if we're lucky, it may never happen (the BF I mean):
http://www.newsday.com/news/politics...tics-headlines
Old 02-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
We need a version of SageTV that supports HDTV before we need to worry about that.
Amen. Buy that man a pint....
Old 02-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Given the pace of SageTV development over the last 14 months, I'd say there's more to worry about a July 1, 2005 date than HDTV support.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Sage User

Does appear that a judge knocked it down - at least temporarily:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...v-piracy_x.htm

The article is not entirely correct, since the flag isn't about distribution, but about recording. The flag prevents recording - period.

One thing I've noticed, with my Dish PVR510, is that there are SOME programs I can't "backup" while viewing. Yes, I've been watching it for the last hour, and I hit the "back 10 seconds", and it won't. I tried to hit record - it wouldn't. Yet I changed the channel, and record and back worked. Back to the original, woudn't. It did work on that channel a couple of hours later on a different program. That was 3 weeks ago.

Now, they were just "who cares" type programs, but it may already be in test.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:23 PM
SageTVaholic

They haven't actually done anything yet, only commented on it. Although it does look like there's a reasonably good chance that if they hear the case, it will be knocked down.

And also, the BS is about distribution. The purpose of the BF is to prevent internet distribution, not to prevent recording. IIRC the flag has three possible values, Copy Always (no protection), Compy Once (allow recording but not sharing), and Copy Never (no recording). Also IIRC, Copy Never can only be used for PPV (and possibly premium channels). In fact I believe MS DRM has been approved copy protection by the FCC and allows copying over the network but not over the internet.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

As I understand this, the judge basically gave the court a gist of what their ruling will be in a nut shell. They will consider, argue, and decide amongst themselves for the next month or two then produce their ruling. Either way, IMO this is great news! I completely agree with the judge’s comments on this, though as very shocked to hear that they actually came out and said it.
Bottom line is, soon as they start forcing my equipment to not record is the day I sell my TV and equipment and discontinue my subscriptions to any TV services.

Enjoy,
RedR
Old 02-23-2005, 04:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Very informative discussion:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=508049
Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting article in the San Francisco Bay Guardian about a "build-in" sponsored by the EFF

http://www.sfbg.com/39/22/cover_fcc.html
Old 03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Sage Icon

Ok, this is a digital flag correct? If an analog signal is output from your equipment, or you dont use a box at all this has no effect on you.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

True, but you get conversion losses in the D->A conversion.

I wonder if manufacturers will find a way to enable macrovision or some other analog copy protection scheme when the digital flag is activated?

Last edited by Menehune; 03-03-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

from what I understand the broadcast flag would only apply to hardware made AFTER july 15th I would FIGHT any vendor that tried to force it on me early OR on me afterwards for hardware I already own IE get a HDTV tuner card NOW and you are EXCEMPT from the requirement

this is the only reason I want sage to have HD support even though I do not use HDTV so that it can be exempt from the requirement should it become a reality.

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/
Old 03-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Just in case, I'd recommend everyone buy an HDTV tuner card before July. I love my MyHD MDP-120 card. I'm going to buy the newer MDP-130 too as a backup.

Robert
Old 03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Sage Icon

Should we really start buying HDTV tuner cards to futureproof us from the flag? I don't plan on subscribing to HD stations anytime soon but want to make sure I can down the road without issue.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

JUC, there is no perfect answer. Right now, the FCC mandate is scheduled to go into effect and after that date, you won't be able to buy a tuner card that doesn't obey the broadcast flag. This is a good reason to go ahead and buy some HD tuner cards now, while they are still unencumbered.

On the other hand, several groups are fighting the broadcast flag mandate, and it may never actually go into effect, or it may be overturned, repealed or legislated away later. If that happens, then there is no rush.

But nothing is guaranteed either way. You just have to decide how important it is to you to be able to record HD without the broadcast flag. If it's important enough to spend the money now, then do it. If not, then just sit back and let the decision be made for you later.