SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Sage User

Missing first five minutes.

This one has me stumped.

On occasion, I'll notice that Sage hasen't recorded the first five minutes.

The time bar at the bottom of the screen displays 1 hour but the first five minutes are in red.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern for this occurance. It happens on different channels, at different times.

I regurlarly look to see if I have any recording conflicts but I've never do.

It seems to have started with RC6 but I can't really confirm this.

Everything else works fine.

Any ideas ?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

If it only happens on back to back recordings then look in your sage.properties file for a line about "fast_mux_switching" or something similar and change it to false.

That fixed my problem of the same thing.

Jere
Old 02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones
If it only happens on back to back recordings then look in your sage.properties file for a line about "fast_mux_switching" or something similar and change it to false.

That fixed my problem of the same thing.

Jere
I couldn't tell you if it happens on back to back recordings, but I will give it a try. It'll probably take a few days for me to notice any change.

Out of curiosity; I tried to look for a description of the "fast_mux_switch" parameter and couldn't find one. Can you tell me what it does?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have no idea what it does. I only know about it because Frey support told me to try it when I was having the same problem and it fixed it.

Jere
Old 02-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Sage User

Send a message via MSN to rickmont
Thumbs up Thank You!!!!!

I thought I was the only one having this problem of missing the first 5 minutes. I has added 5 minutes padding to all of the recordings that had all 3 tuners recording at the same time.

I just changed the seeker/fast_mux_switch=true to =false

I will be happy to get ridd of the extra padding work-around

Old 03-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

If you ever notice the first 5 minutes of something missing, it usually means that when the recording started, something went awry in the encoder and it stalled. SageTV monitors the file size of currently-recording files and if it observse the size not increasing, then it will re-kick the encoder process which usually fixes the problem. The reason the chunk is 5 minutes is because sage checks the file size every 5 minutes.

Sometimes, if you have your encoder stalling at the beginning of a recording, it could be related to the tuning of the encoder to a new channel. This is why disabling fast_mux_switch may solve your problem.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsing
If you ever notice the first 5 minutes of something missing, it usually means that when the recording started, something went awry in the encoder and it stalled. SageTV monitors the file size of currently-recording files and if it observse the size not increasing, then it will re-kick the encoder process which usually fixes the problem. The reason the chunk is 5 minutes is because sage checks the file size every 5 minutes.

Sometimes, if you have your encoder stalling at the beginning of a recording, it could be related to the tuning of the encoder to a new channel. This is why disabling fast_mux_switch may solve your problem.
Thanks for the info.

Quote: " something went awry in the encoder and it stalled"

Would this be considered a bug that should be submitted to Frey?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Sage User

I just recently started seeing this problem as well. Got my fingers crossed that setting seeker/fast_mux_switch=true to =false fixes it.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Sage User

Well, I am still having the problem with the first five minutes missing from recordings.

It does also appear that the encoder is having problems.

Fri 3/4 17:05:02.693 newRecord=null
Fri 3/4 17:05:02.694 NOTHING TO RECORD FOR NOW...
Fri 3/4 17:05:02.695 RootFile=\\home\dfs fstype=null fileLength=0
Fri 3/4 17:05:02.695 SEEKER HAS DETECTED A HALT IN THE ENCODER...TRYING TO RESET IT
Old 03-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlmln
I couldn't tell you if it happens on back to back recordings, but I will give it a try. It'll probably take a few days for me to notice any change.

Out of curiosity; I tried to look for a description of the "fast_mux_switch" parameter and couldn't find one. Can you tell me what it does?
The fast_mux_switch=false seems to have fixed my missing first five minute problem.