SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

Client running on server?

Hi,

After doing quite a bit of searching I cant seem to find an answer to my question. Can I do this:

Run an instance of sage client on my sage server machine and have it output through an xcard (using the plugin) while still using the server to output to my main viewing area using an agp video card.

I dont as yet have a dedicated htpc, but I would like to serve both my family room (main viewing area where an htpc client will eventually reside) and our kitchen tv.

Will the client and server run simultaneously on the same machine? Will I be able to specify the xcard as default for the client and the agp as default for the server? I am thinking this will allow me to avoid the MVP, and that the hardware decoding on the xcard will prevent the cpu from being overtaxed during simultaneous playback.

If it matters the server is a P4 3.0 HT with a gig of ram.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Sage Icon

Why not backup your Frey Technologies folder and install the trial of the client and see if it works or not. I would just make sure you install the client to a different folder than the server is installed in.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Administrator

The client will run on the same PC as the server. I've always installed the client in a separate directory, though. I don't think there would be a problem doing what is proposed, except that you will need to find a way to control playback for both instances -- that would probably be the biggest issue, especially for remote control in the other room. An MVP in the Kitchen would probably work better & would cost about the same.

(I've got the server running an Xcrd & a client running an MVP, but the MVP has its own remote in the other room, so separate control is not an issue.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

I figured there must be something that I had not accounted for.

Thanks guys,
Jesse
Old 03-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

Opus,

I assume this means that the mvp receives the ir commands to control the sage client. If I were to specify the xcard as the video out for the client could I use girder to control the client while using ir alone to control the main sage instance?

Thanks very much.

Jesse
Old 03-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

You can set up messages to go only to SageTV or SageTVClient. It might work, but I'm not entirely certain what would happen with volume control. Essentially: you can try it (of course), but I can't really say whether it will work how you want, since I haven't tried anything like that.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Opus,

Thanks again for your help.

I did some more searching re the xcard and the mvp and came across a thread where users of both reported that the xcard interface was even slower than the mvp interface. I looks like I should take your advice and go with the mvp.

Thanks again,

Jesse