SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:09 AM
Sage User

VLC - VideoLan Open Source Project

FYI - This seams like a really cool program to integrate into Sage somehow. In some respects it does the same thing as Sage...

http://www.videolan.org/

The VideoLAN project targets multimedia streaming of MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and DivX files, DVDs, digital satellite channels, digital terrestial television channels and live videos on a high-bandwidth IPv4 or IPv6 network in unicast or multicast under many OSes. VideoLAN also features a cross-platform multimedia player, VLC, which can be used to read the stream from the network or display video read locally on the computer under all GNU/Linux flavours, all BSD flavours, Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, Solaris, QNX, Familiar Linux...

VideoLAN is free software, and is released under the GNU General Public License. It started as a student project at the French École Centrale Paris but is now a worldwide project with developers from 20 countries.
XP Pro, SageTV v4, 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (FSB 800 MHz), 512 MB DDR400 Dual Channel Memory, 80 GB WD SATA (internal), 250 GB WD SATA (external - usb 2.0), Gainward Nvidia FX5200, Shuttle XPC SB61G2 V3, NEC 3500A 16x DVD Single Layer, 4x DL, PVR 250 MCE, PVR USB2, USB-UIRT, StreamZap remote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Sage Expert

Tested but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltman
FYI - This seams like a really cool program to integrate into Sage somehow. In some respects it does the same thing as Sage...

http://www.videolan.org/

The VideoLAN project targets multimedia streaming of MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and DivX files, DVDs, digital satellite channels, digital terrestial television channels and live videos on a high-bandwidth IPv4 or IPv6 network in unicast or multicast under many OSes. VideoLAN also features a cross-platform multimedia player, VLC, which can be used to read the stream from the network or display video read locally on the computer under all GNU/Linux flavours, all BSD flavours, Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, Solaris, QNX, Familiar Linux...

VideoLAN is free software, and is released under the GNU General Public License. It started as a student project at the French École Centrale Paris but is now a worldwide project with developers from 20 countries.
i have this tested befor i buy sage. it is ok but sage is easy and powerfull.
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 03-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Heya,

VLC is an awesome external player! I use it all the time for anything and everything video that isn't done in SageTV. It is a very small package that has full support in my video viewing needs. Again, outside of SageTV, its the first, and last solution that I suggest to folks. I love it!

RedR
Old 03-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Sage Icon

Sage already does what videolan does. I have not used it in a while but it use to require a several step setup process for the file you wanted to stream. It was not very user friendly and really offers nothing that sage is not doing already.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to remmy925 Send a message via AIM to remmy925 Send a message via Yahoo to remmy925
The only advantage I have seen in videolan (because I have tried it) is the networked support. As far as playability, if you get yourself a copy of the K-lite codec pack, it has everything you could want. Including a DVD codec. I will admit that dvd playback on videolan aint to shabby though.