SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-11-2005, 01:37 PM

Live TV Cache (soon to convert from BeyondTV)

I have recently switched from Beyond TV to SageTV trial. So far I like it, except for the Intelligent recording and the cache issues.

I have IR set to disabled however, I came home from work the other day and had a hardrive full of shows I had no intention of recording. so, I then restarted sagetv, and without watching any live tv, let it sit over night. There were no recorded shows. It seems that if I watch any shows sagetv takes it upon itself, even with IR disabled, and start recording.

Secondly, from reading the manual, I see that SageTV records the tv show you are watching in order to take advantage of the PVR functions. However, once the show is over, I notice that this recording does not operate like a cache and remove the show when it has finished playing. Is there a setting to automatically remove watched shows?

Also, I have read a bit about the quartz.dll fix, does anybody know what, exactly, that is supposed to fix. It seems to be offered as a solution to many problems.

Thx in advance,

archil

My setup:
Ahanix DVine4 case, P4 2.6, 512 Ram, 2 SATA 120 GB drives, Nvidia 5500 video, AC97 onboard sound, Hauppauge 250, Nvidia DVD decoder, Hauppauge remote,.

Last edited by archil; 03-11-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Sage Icon

Welcome to the Sage Forums!

If IR is disabled, your system probably didn't sleep properly, or Sage came out of sleep in advertantly. If Sage is open, and you have your preview window set to 'always' then sage will never stop recording and you'll see the behavior you described.

Sage works in a very different way than does Beyond, it doesn't have any sort of 'cache' in the traditional sense. Most Sage users don't monitor drive usage at all actually (at least I don't). I simply give sage a bunch of drives and let it deal with show deletion. I've noticed that if I watch a bunch of live tv one night, it doesn't keep the live stuff very long if I don't have very many shows I've already watched.

I believe sage will start deleting stuff for more space in the following order - don't like, watched IR, watched Favorites (that are set to auto delete - the default), not watched IR, not watched Favorites(that are set to auto delete). It never seems to auto delete manual recordings, and definitly doesn't delete archived items or imports.

So, as you watch live TV, those shows are grouped with the IR recordings and deleted oldest->newest as space is needed. So if you have no shows watched other than the live TV you're currently looking at, it'll delete those files first, but only if it needs to.

To answer your question - Sage will automatically delete watched shows, but only if it needs to.

If you want to make sure you have some extra space on your drives, you can set a limit in the detailed setup. I can't remember exactly where, but I think it's in the General section, select a folder you've specified, and it should bring up the options to either use entire drive, or set a limit.

Also, why do you not like IR? It's one of the best features of SageTV vs. Beyond. Granted, at first it just records everything, but by the end of your trial period you'll have trained it enough to start getting some interesting suggestions.

I love the IR. It gives me roughly one new show to watch a month that I set as a new favorite. Make sure to tame the IR though, use that 'don't like' button with a vengeance. Otherwise your system will be taken over by the Gilmore Girls...[shudder]

I haven't noticed the quartz.dll file.....maybe someone else can help with that one. But if you aren't having problems...why does it matter?

Last edited by Crashless; 03-11-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by archil
I have IR set to disabled however, I came home from work the other day and had a hardrive full of shows I had no intention of recording. so, I then restarted sagetv, and without watching any live tv, let it sit over night. There were no recorded shows. It seems that if I watch any shows sagetv takes it upon itself, even with IR disabled, and start recording.
This is in the FAQ thread (see Qs in the second section of that thread's first post) & in the manual -- p. 24 in the v2.2 manual. Essentially: once started, Live TV will continue to record until you do something that stops it, such as putting SageTV to sleep. (The manual & FAQ list the other things you can do.) Intelligent Recording is not involved with this.

Quote:
Secondly, from reading the manual, I see that SageTV records the tv show you are watching in order to take advantage of the PVR functions. However, once the show is over, I notice that this recording does not operate like a cache and remove the show when it has finished playing. Is there a setting to automatically remove watched shows?
See p. 190 in the v2.2 manual: "Automatic Cleanup of Live TV", in Appendix C. By default, live TV recordings are deleted shortly after the show is over. Even if you turn that off in the properties file, they will be the first shows deleted to make room for new recordings.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
Welcome to the Sage Forums!

I love the IR. It gives me roughly one new show to watch a month that I set as a new favorite. Make sure to tame the IR though, use that 'don't like' button with a vengeance. Otherwise your system will be taken over by the Gilmore Girls...[shudder]

I haven't noticed the quartz.dll file.....maybe someone else can help with that one. But if you aren't having problems...why does it matter?
Agreed! IR is one of Sage's best kept secrets. I'm amazed that it doesn't get more press. I like sci-fi and one day I get home and behold! Buck Rodgers! My wife likes skating and the IR never seems to fail to find skating when the season begins. It picks up the first one, and the addtional airings allows us to manually record the rest.

It's a great feature. Sure it picks up some weird stuff from time to time, and certain (for a while) don't seem to go away, but eventually it learns.

Recently, The Jeff Corwin experience would get picked up. I kept marking it as "Don't like" and it kept reappearing. However, how, it has gone. Just go to the "Upcoming Recordings" and train it.

You won't regret it.