SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

how many favorites is too many favorites???

I had just finished creating the rest of my favorites... after I had done some testing to see how they worked. Well, I ended up with about 50 by the time I was done... then something strange happened, I was no longer able to watch more than 5 minutes of "live tv" I was however able to watch as much/many recorded shows as I wanted but no live tv (just about 4.5-5 minutes)

I do own my codecs, and everything has been functioning fine for the past 4-5 months, no problems I am running v2.2.2b and cayars 17 Only after I finished all of my favorites, I went to shut sagetv down after the cpu usage went down to nothing, did a backup, then all hell broke loose

I now have a new winxp pro install and fresh everything, lost a week and a half of recordings in the wiz.bin, but now I can watch live tv using the wiz.bin file backup previous to the one I had done all the favorites on...

So what is the limit of favorites? and can frey take both of my wiz.bin files and combine the show info from both and leave out the favorites or just fix the latest one I have??? HELP FREY!!!
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Sage Icon

I have over 100 favorites without a problem. I don't know what could have caused your problem.

I doubt Frey can combine your 2 wiz.bin files but you should send a support request and perhaps they'll look at your old wiz.bin.

Another good reason to make daily backups. I think I'll make one when I get home. I feel for you. I can't imagine losing my wiz.bin.

Last edited by ToxMox; 03-14-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Sage Icon

My favorites list is currently at 224. It works ok, but if I try to increase the "scheduling_lookahead" to one or two weeks, it'll go to 100% and never complete a recording schedule.

One other problem I had was when I first build my Sage box, was that I slammed in 100 favorites real quick, and the system could not keep up. It just stayed at 100% "forever". Now, if I add in favorites, I add in a couple, wait for Sage to catch up(100%while processing new favorites), then add in some more.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have nearly 100 no problems and I have the look ahead at maximum

though most of mine are set for first runs only so its only 5-10 recordings a day.

I can not compare your problem though as I never use live tv. ever. never home to watch tv live I just watch recorded stuff and not in sage (from other computers using zoom player or on my portable dvd or PVP)

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/
Old 03-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Sage Fanatic

Cool, I find myself in the "light weight" division for a change with currently only 52 Favorites and max look ahead. No problems, but not entered all at once.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Sage Icon

I'm so Busch league. 35 or so for me, and I thought I had a lot.

Buying a pvr500 soon though, so hopefully that number will increase!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Wow, either you guys watch too much tv... or I don't watch enough. I only have 16 favorites.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude90210
Wow, either you guys watch too much tv... or I don't watch enough. I only have 16 favorites.
Many of ours we'll record the entire season and watch later. Or cooking, landscaping, remodeling shows watch whenever and often keep episodes after watching with interesting ideas. That's what terrabytes of video storage is for!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

hehehe not counting whats on the hard drive I have about 16 days worth of tv recorded to dvd. one case alone has 40 discs with 7 hours on each disc (mpeg1) do the math :-) thats nearly 12 days right there :-) (when I say days I mean 12x24 hours in programs :-)

ie my LACK of time to watch TV is why I have so stinking much :-) NOW that I have enough HD space I wait till I have 7 episodes of one show (15 for half hour shows) and then dump to dvd.

as I watch each show I put a red check on the DVD next to that show

when the whole disc is done I mark it done and toss it in the "watched" storage spindle :-)

I currently have 88 gig (156 shows) sitting on the hard drive waiting to either be watched and deleted or qued up for burning once I have enough to fill a disc.

prime shows I hang onto (stargate enterprise etc..) cause other family members and co workers also want to watch everything else I whack as I watch.

many of my prime shows have finales coming in the next week or so at which time unless new shows replace them I will have time to do some "catch up" on tv watching in the little time I have to watch tv :-)

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/
Old 03-23-2005, 05:03 AM
Sage Icon

From a technical point of view I don't think there are any limits.

From a practical point of view, I think 10-15 favourites per person in the house is about the max!

I often find myself adding favourites only to find that I don't have the time to watch the recordings so I remove them. Down to about 25 or so now.

This means that I have 1-2 hours of watching every day.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas
This means that I have 1-2 hours of watching every day.
Lightweight! With all the re-runs right now this is a "slow" week for me, only 44 hours of recordings from Sun-Sat.