SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:56 PM

Whole House Distribution - Sage Gurus?

I would like to have a centralized Sage based server that can potentially record multiple (2 or 3) digital cable streams simultaneously. I would then like the capability of playing back any/all of the recorded programs from any television within my home.

Here is the rub...
  1. I would like the system to be centralized such that I would not be requred to have some sort of media player/HTPC at EACH and EVERY television in the house.
  2. I would like the system to be easy to use and have the option of fully integrating it within a touchscreen/webpanel environment a la Mainlobby -OR- using it with a simple puch button remote and on screen commands a la TiVo.

Questions....
  1. What hardware would be needed to accomplish this while ensuring the best possible playback (i.e., no stuttering, good quality video/audio)? I am envisioning a dedicated Recorder/Server running multiple PVR-TV Cards and perhaps several dedicated client PC for each connected TV connected as sources to a video distribution panel. Which brings me to my next question...
  2. Lets assume I have 5 televisions in the house that I would like this capabaility with... would I need 5 HTPCs in my equipment closet - one for each Television, or can 1 PC handle multiple instances of Sage ouput via multiple video cards? - OR -
  3. Would I just need network enabled clients a la Prismoniq installed in the equipment closet?

This is your opportunity to be creative, I would appreciate any input on this project. Thanks for your time!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Sage Icon

Fine, I'll take a stab -

If you don't want a computer in every room, you _might_ be able to run multiple clients off of one system by getting a bunch of PCI video cards, and USB sound dongles. Assign each instance to a different monitor, then getting crazy with Girder and some IR extenders.

But I wouldn't suggest that.

I'd suggest you get a bunch of Hauppauge MVPs and build a network of clients with those. Yes, you'll have to have one per TV, but they're tiny devices, and very hideable. You could drive a bunch of those off one semi-powerful server. I don't know how many, but you could check the plugin thread - I think the most I've heard of being run is 3, but that's only cause no one person has had 4 in one place, not because they hit the ceiling.

For the server, get the most horsepower you can afford. Multiple Xeons would probably be overkill, unless you want to do some gaming on the main system while the other MVPs are playing TV, then multi-threading would be your friend. But if you're only doing TV/DVD distribution, a single 3ghz+ intel, or AMD64 equivilent would be fine.

Get a couple of PVR500s for recording, be careful when selecting your main board for the server, as some aren't compatible, VIA chipsets come to mind here, search around.

I'm not familiar with the prismq, but it looks like a media player, like the MVP. I'd go with the MVP right now because it has a full client. Prismqs would be limited to the built-in interface, which is probably less desireable.

Downside to the MVP route is that you loose DVD playback on the clients. Only you know whether this is important or not.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:24 AM
Sage Icon

I'd highly recommend a small form factor or htpc-style PC for your main viewing/family room. You'll want the configurability and horsepower for the main SageTV playback machine.

For all the other rooms, you can get by with MVP's, though they are a bit limiting for my taste. If you want DVD playback on the MVP's, you'll need to rip the DVD's to either MPEG-2 or DivX. This will of course take time for the ripping and lots of storage space, and CPU playback overhead if you use DivX.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 03-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
snip...
For all the other rooms, you can get by with MVP's, though they are a bit limiting for my taste. If you want DVD playback on the MVP's, you'll need to rip the DVD's to either MPEG-2 or DivX. This will of course take time for the ripping and lots of storage space, and CPU playback overhead if you use DivX.

Yes, you could rip to mpeg2 or divx, but if you choose divx, you'll have to use the built-in gui for the mvp and will again loose the livetv and metadata you get with the sage mvp client/plugin.

Unfortunately while the hauppage server program supports realtime divx transcoding to mpeg2 (because the mvp itself only supports mpeg2), the sage plugin currently does not, and there is no timeline for future support, so don't count on it.

But, if you plan for this, ripping to mpeg2 is not a bad option for some people. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Sage Icon

pretty much the same as above recommendations. Run MVP's on everything but your primary display machine. Make your primary display machine somehthing like an aria with x-card or 6600GT. This will also give you a DVD player, websurf, etc in your assumed "front room".

In an ideal world, you would use a 350 card as a network encoder and primary display, but ive heard too much bad and too little good to recommend that card yet.

My config is similar to the above:

1 sage server running in service mode hosting 2- 250v16, 1- 250v15, 2-PVRUSB2's, 1-avermedia(cant remember which ver) & MVP using the server GUI

MVP for bedroom feeding a 30" LCD tv

Mini-atx pc- PVRUSB2 as a network encoder , w/ fx5200 for display.

Im pretty happy with the config. Your mileage may vary..

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac
snip...
In an ideal world, you would use a 350 card as a network encoder and primary display, but ive heard too much bad and too little good to recommend that card yet. ..snip...
I completely agree with this. I have a 350 right now, but the EOF problems I'm having make it just a bit too much of a problem for me to recommend it to anyone yet. But we're getting close to a work around - laurenglenn is on to something, and hopefully I'll be able to recommend this great hardware decoder all over the place soon.

Plusses -
1.it gives you a dedicated Sage output
2. CPU usage never exceeds 15%
3. Excellent PQ!

Minues -
1. EOF crashes <- HUGE WAF killer!

It _is_ getting close though...so close....
Old 03-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Sage Icon

Im chomping at the bit for this day. I have been flurting with the thought of upgrading my front room client, but it hinges on the video output. I am holding out for either a faster x-card gui or a final fix for the 350. Id actually prefer the 350 due to the fact that I can get an extra capture out of it as well!

I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
I completely agree with this. I have a 350 right now, but the EOF problems I'm having make it just a bit too much of a problem for me to recommend it to anyone yet. But we're getting close to a work around - laurenglenn is on to something, and hopefully I'll be able to recommend this great hardware decoder all over the place soon.

Plusses -
1.it gives you a dedicated Sage output
2. CPU usage never exceeds 15%
3. Excellent PQ!

Minues -
1. EOF crashes <- HUGE WAF killer!

It _is_ getting close though...so close....

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:13 PM

3 Avermedia 1500's, 3 MediaMVP's, Athlon XP 3000+ and a partridge in a pear tree...Does the job for me.
I've never come across the need to record 3 shows at once, but according to what my processor usage looks like, it would not be a problem. I 'have' recorded 2 videos at once plus live FM radio. No probs.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:56 AM

Thanks for all the input!
Old 03-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hello ELMitz,

On a side note I would be interested in your thoughts on intergrating sage and Main Lobby. I am in the process of trying to do this myself. For touchscreen use you may be interested in this thread : http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...hlight=theater

Since sage will not run within ML, intergration is proving challenging. Controlling sage from ML should not be too hard using a touchscreen and the girder plugin for MLserver, but this is still not the complete intergration that TV lobby could provide (I looked at that app, but it just does not do all that I want).

Are you planning on using the full sage "suite" (ie pvr, music, pictures, weather, etc.) or are you planning on using Music Lobby, DVD Lobby etc.?

Your thoughts?

Jesse