SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Sage User

Can't get service to run :(

I'm a current BTV user and have been somewhat dissatisfied lately with their releases and decided to give sage a shot. So far, I love it, but I've got 6 days left on my trial and am still unable to get the service to start here. Trying to start if from XP's service snapin I get "Could not start the SageTV service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

The funny thing is, when I initially installed sage it worked fine, but I was forced to re-install windows shortly thereafter (stupid hard drives have to be replaced at the worst possible time) After re-installing everything and getting everything else working this is the only issue I have left .....If I can get it nailed down before the trial runs out I'll be getting the ole' credit card out

System details:
WinXP Pro, SP2/DX9c
NV Decoders
PVR-250 w/ latest drivers available from hauggpauge
MyBlaster USB with MyIR 1.61 installed into Sage properly. (exe tuner plugin)
Latest Sage from the website.

I am able to watch live tv and change channels on my sat. box just fine.

When trying to start the service with the sagetvservicecontrol app it times out without starting, when setting the service to enabled sage takes forever to load (presumably becuase it's trying and failing to start the service with the interface)

I've tried both the default user that sage recommends and my local administrator account in the service configuration with the same results. . I've un-installed and re-installed sage as well...

Attempting to start sagetvservice from a command line yields no error messages to stdout either...

what's going on here?

Last edited by Zeos; 03-17-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Sage Icon

Any more detail on the error in Event Viewer?

And which version of SageTV are you using? Try both 2.1 and 2.2 ?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 03-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
Any more detail on the error in Event Viewer?

And which version of SageTV are you using? Try both 2.1 and 2.2 ?
using 2.2 right now, but I'm kinda afraid to back down to 2.1 since I'm so short on time (trials running out)

The even viewer shows the error, but as non-descript as the services message
"The SageTV service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
Old 03-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Sage Icon

Two things I'd try would be:

Reinstall DirectX 9.0c http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Uninstall any and all Java, and then re-download the newest here http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 03-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Sage User

Still no dice with un-installing and re-installing java and dx. Clicking start service in the servicecontrol app still fails as well as starting via services.msc
Old 03-18-2005, 11:11 PM
Sage Icon

The only other reason I can think it would fail would be because the capture card(s) is in use by another service or program. Are you running Windows MCE by chance? It has some services that will lock your capture device. Or maybe WinDVR, WinTV, or another application like that? Something could even be running in the background without your knowledge, but it would definitely cause the SageTV Service some problems.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
The only other reason I can think it would fail would be because the capture card(s) is in use by another service or program. Are you running Windows MCE by chance? It has some services that will lock your capture device. Or maybe WinDVR, WinTV, or another application like that? Something could even be running in the background without your knowledge, but it would definitely cause the SageTV Service some problems.
I wish it were that easy...I'm on XP Pro (non-MCE). I do have other apps installed, but anything and everything that may access the card is shut down (confirmed through task manager). The only thing even remotely involved thats still running is ir.exe, which as I'm sure everyone knows is the ir app for the pvr.

But, what I'm experiancing here sounds like it could be this...maybe I'll un-install some apps (currently btv is still installed, but disabled) and see if that has any affect.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Sage User

Think I got it. Uninstalling BTV didn't do a thing, but after poking around in the services cp I enabled "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop" and it started right up. I'm going to leave it like this and test for the 4 days I've got left on this trial to make sure it behaves itself.

I guess my only other question would be (assuming it's not a verbotten subject) would be, whats the difference between buying from pcalchemy and frey, besides the $15 price tag? I'm assuming it's legit over there....

Last edited by Zeos; 03-18-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeos
Think I got it. Uninstalling BTV didn't do a thing, but after poking around in the services cp I enabled "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop" and it started right up. I'm going to leave it like this and test for the 4 days I've got left on this trial to make sure it behaves itself.
Good to hear you got it running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeos
I guess my only other question would be (assuming it's not a verbotten subject) would be, whats the difference between buying from pcalchemy and frey, besides the $15 price tag? I'm assuming it's legit over there....
Definitely not forbidden here. If you can get a better price at PCAlchemy or another e-tailer, and you find them a trustworthy source, then there is no shame at saving some money. I have a feeling that if SageTV was much more popular, Frey wouldn't be selling it directly themselves anyways.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Sage User

I just wanted to add that I was having this same problem after uninstalling Beyond TV's trial, and that selecting the service's properties in Services.msc and selecting the "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop" box made it come right up.

So Beyond TV must've done something to mess with the SageTV service on its way out.

I tried installing both and then uninstalling BTV on another box - same behaviour - with both things installed both work fine, and the SageTV service has the box checked.

Uninstall BTV, and the SageTV service gets shut down and when I try to bring it back up that box is unchecked.

I don't know if it's windows or BTV messing it up, but it's worth noting. Hopefully Sage's service exe file will be updated in the future to fix this itself.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Sage Icon

Mine is not checked to interact. You are using Local System Account, right?

Are you perhaps not logged into XP as an Administrator? Or have some local security policies enforced?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting. I had the exact same issue when I was using the trial version of Sage. I could not start the service and Sage was slow in starting up also but only near the end of the trial period. In the begininig everything was fine.

I decided to purchace it regardless because I was so impressed by Sage. Everything corrected itselft when I entered in the serial number to purchase it. Never quite understood what the problem was?

Clients: HP dm1(E350), HD-100
Old 05-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

I figured out what the problem is here. When you are almost at the end of the trial period a dialog pops up on the screen when you start the service ("You only have xx days before your trial runs out"...). Since the service by default can't "interact" with the desktop, the dialog is hidden but it just sits there waiting for a response and eventually the service startup times out, giving the error. As soon as you allow it to interact the service starts and the dialog pops up. The reason why this doesn't happen on a fresh install or with a valid key is because no dialog shows up.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelkenny
I figured out what the problem is here. When you are almost at the end of the trial period a dialog pops up on the screen when you start the service ("You only have xx days before your trial runs out"...). Since the service by default can't "interact" with the desktop, the dialog is hidden but it just sits there waiting for a response and eventually the service startup times out, giving the error. As soon as you allow it to interact the service starts and the dialog pops up. The reason why this doesn't happen on a fresh install or with a valid key is because no dialog shows up.
You should email that one to support@freytechnologies.com (or support@sagetv.com ?) to let them know.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Done!