SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Sage User

USB-UIRT questions.....

Ok, ever since I have added a 2nd hauppauge tuner card I have had nothing but remote problems with my Hauppauge 350 remote. I am actually using a harmony remote configured to mimic the hauppauge but am tired of the IR initialization problems.

I saw on the USB-UIRT page that Sage is compatible/supports use of the USB-UIRT. I have also read the remotes sticky post and followed the links but am still not sure if I want to use the USB-UIRT to replace the IR sensor of the 350.

My question is how does Sage recognize commands via USB-UIRT? I am used to my hauppauge remote setup and would like to keep a similiar configuration using my harmony remote. SO I guess what I am asking is how do I get the USB-UIRT to recognize the remote I am using and what it is controlling?

Do I have to use Girder with the USB-UIRT to control sage? Anyone have any USB-UIRT configurations for Sage and a Harmony remote?

I am not controlling a digital cable box or satelite receiver, I am strictly using the Hauppauge tuner for selecting channels within Sage.

Thanks

Last edited by rbarr110; 03-18-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Sage Icon

I'm using the USBUIRT w/ a harmony configured w/ hauppauge remote codes.

It's basically the same (I think). You'll have to go into detailed setup, commands, and select USB, then you 'might' have to re-train sage w/ the commands through the link commands section. I say might because I didn't trasition from the 350 remote, I used the USBUIRT from the start.

You don't need girder, and the USBUIRT can control up to 3 cable boxes too, if you set it up right.

I can't imagine using sage without this device - I highly recommend it!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
You'll have to go into detailed setup, commands, and select USB, then you 'might' have to re-train sage w/ the commands through the link commands section.
Yes, you would have to 'retrain' SageTV, because with the Hauppauge remote, you were sending keys or event messages via its irremote.ini file. With the USB-UIRT, SageTV is interacting directly with the IR receiver & uses those codes to fire off its commands.

You can use the USB-UIRT directly with SageTV, or you could use it with Girder and control more than just SageTV with the remote.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
I'm using the USBUIRT w/ a harmony configured w/ hauppauge remote codes.

It's basically the same (I think). You'll have to go into detailed setup, commands, and select USB, then you 'might' have to re-train sage w/ the commands through the link commands section. I say might because I didn't trasition from the 350 remote, I used the USBUIRT from the start.

You don't need girder, and the USBUIRT can control up to 3 cable boxes too, if you set it up right.

I can't imagine using sage without this device - I highly recommend it!

Sorry, not sure if I understand. Are you using the Harmony w/Hauppauge remote profile THROUGH the USB-UIRT to control Sage? Also you should send your working profile to the USB-UIRT support email address, he has asked for Sage users to send him their working profiles to implement into the USB-UIRT Sage compatible dlls.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarr110
Sorry, not sure if I understand. Are you using the Harmony w/Hauppauge remote profile THROUGH the USB-UIRT to control Sage? Also you should send your working profile to the USB-UIRT support email address, he has asked for Sage users to send him their working profiles to implement into the USB-UIRT Sage compatible dlls.
Yeah...versus USBUIRT w/ Girder? yeah, no girder for me.

To be completely accurate, I created a custom device on the harmony site, and trained the harmony using the hauppauge remote. I wanted to get rid of that two codes per button RCwhatever thing - I found it annoying.

So do they USBUIRT guys want Sage remote.inis, or harmony firmware files?

FWIW, the USBUIRT shares it's resources very nicely with Sage and girder at the same time. I'm also currently using it with the Meedio plugin for remote control, but I haven't tried all three at the same time.

It all works quite nicely actually.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Sage Icon

If you have a choice of which codes to teach your harmony, I would go with something other than rc5 (hauppauge). The switching dual code thing can cause unwanted behaviour when not used with the hauppauge ir receiver. Through the USB uirt sage can respond to any code set, just pick one that doesn't interfear with your other equipement. I am using a panasonic vcr set.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Sage User

The people/person? at USB-UIRT want any working Sage profiles that use the USB-UIRT to control Sage.

I just ordered my USB-UIRT and will hopefully have it within a week.

The Harmony can use just about any code as far as I am aware, its an absolutely amazing remote.

If I understand this right, I can use the Harmony with the USB-UIRT and program the buttons via Sage once I have specified what IR signal my harmony will use to control Sage? How can I determine what signals my other home theatre equipment uses?

I use my Harmony to control my DVD player, cable box, tv, HTPC w/ Sage, and surround sound.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Sage Icon

It shouldn't be difficult, try a manufacturer's brand that you are not using. To double check, just aim the remote at your stuff and hit all the buttons to be sure nothing responds.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarr110
The people/person? at USB-UIRT want any working Sage profiles that use the USB-UIRT to control Sage.
I'll send them one when I'm home next.

Quote:
If I understand this right, I can use the Harmony with the USB-UIRT and program the buttons via Sage once I have specified what IR signal my harmony will use to control Sage? How can I determine what signals my other home theatre equipment uses?

I use my Harmony to control my DVD player, cable box, tv, HTPC w/ Sage, and surround sound.
Yes. The harmony site you'll use to program your remote has a HUGE database of remote codes. All you have to do is tell it what brand/model your equipment is, then it takes you through a VERY easy process of telling it what inputs and what controls volume etc. and it sets up 'activities' based on what you want to do. IE: watch TV = Wake Sage, set TV input 2, stereo input TV. Then it sets up the remote buttons to send the appropriate codes to the correct devices. It's both very easy and very configurable.

The only thing I wish it did better was macros. For instance, most the time I listen to TV through the built-in speakers, but on special shows (24, BSG) I like using my stereo. But my television doesn't have an easy way to turn the audio from internal to external. So I created a macro that does the button presses to turn it on/off, and set that as a different activity. Creating the macro worked, but the interface to make it really sucks.

You'll be able to control everything that uses an IR control, and for things that aren't in the database (like sage) you can just use an existing remote to program it.

A while back I posted about how to set this thing up...I'll search for it.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Sage User

USB-UIRT BEST HTPC/PVR PRODUCT EVER MADE!

I can now use both my Hauppauge tuners, the remote response time is nearly instant, and I am HAPPY!

Using the Hauppauge 350 remote was a nightmare compared to the joy of the USB-UIRT. I used a TIVO remote profile for my Harmony remote and set up control in Sage in no time flat.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Sage Icon

Congrats! Glad to hear that you've got a funtional system again.

Enjoy!
Old 03-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Sage Icon

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the third zone is emitted from the unit. I think all three zones should be with external emitters.

I simply unsoldered the IR emitter and ran a line out of the box. So now the USB-Uirt is in an optimal location to receive commands from my remote and all three emitters are properly tapped to my three STBs.

Great device!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the third zone is emitted from the unit. I think all three zones should be with external emitters.

I simply unsoldered the IR emitter and ran a line out of the box. So now the USB-Uirt is in an optimal location to receive commands from my remote and all three emitters are properly tapped to my three STBs.

Great device!
I actually like this feature. It allows me to control all kinds of devices because it floods the area with it's transmission. Otherwise I'd have to get an IR prism or something.

It's cool that you re-wired yours though. I'll have to remember that trick.