SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Sage User

EPG data wrong for a particular show?

SageTV didn't record The Daily Show with Jon Stewart at all this week. I believe SageTV didn't record this show because the EPG data indicated the shows were repeats this week and I have that favorite set up to be first runs only.

A couple questions:
  • Has anyone else seen this? If so, how often does this happen?
  • Is there a way to say "Record this show on this channel, Monday through Thursday at 11pm"?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Administrator

If you believe the EPG data is consistently wrong for a show, see this post: reporting EPG data problems.

You could use a timed recording, but then you won't have show details. I think you might be best off setting it to record reruns & first runs and then perhaps using a custom STV that allows you to specify a timeslot when that show should be recorded so that it doesn't catch all kinds of other airings.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Sage User

Thanks Andy. I've set my Favorite to record re-runs as well as first runs for now. I've bookmarked the link you included in your post and if it looks like the EPG data is consistantly erroneous I'll foward you the info.

Cheers.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Been having the same prob for a few weeks now. Daily Show never has info specific to that episode. All other data has been normal. Strange.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Sage User

Daily Show is Fubar'd

According to the EPG tonight's Daily Show is a re-run that first aired in 1999.

According to http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_show...ithjonstewart/ tonight's guest, Byron York, is pushing book. The book, I've discovered, has only recently been released so the show cannot be from 1999.

I'm sending mail to info@freytechnologies.com
Old 04-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Administrator

This happens with many series. Technically, the Daily Show info is not wrong; instead, it is incomplete. In this FAQ entry, I explained the differences between the 3 types of Show IDs. This show, like many others, just lists a show ID with a prefix of SH, which is a series ID, not an episode ID. This means that _every_ show in the series is given the same ID and the original air date refers to either when the ID was assigned or when the show first started airing.

It can't hurt to pass along to Frey that the Daily Show doesn't have unique IDs so that they can bring it up with Zap2It, but I'm not sure I would expect a lot of detailed info for a news/talk show that may change its scheduled content at the last minute. Something tells me that news-related shows have a difficult time planning what will be discussed several days in advance...

Edit: Like I said in my first reply, I still think your best solution for now would be to set up a fav with a timeslot limitation to when you want the show to be recorded.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Sage Expert

This happens with my wife's daily recording of Oprah on occasion as well. It just shows a "boilerplate" message saying something like "Oprah discusses topics in front of a live studio audience"... And this was happening with new shows.

This show gets one of the "0000" numbers for the data, so it always records, but only if we set the favorite to record both first runs and reruns.

When this happened for Oprah the last time, on Monday, all of the shows for that week had the boilerplate message. Same on Tuesday. Then, I guess someone must have added the information, because on Wednesday, the shows all of the sudden started showing the real descriptions.

IMPORTANT: If you have your recording set as a "first runs only" recording, these "generic" shows are skipped (or at least they were for me). So if your show is subject to that happening, then it would be best to just record all showings of the show and skip/delete the reruns manually.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info. That explains why the "Original Air Date" is January 11th, 1999" for all the shows in the EPG.

I did send the email... should I expect an ACK?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeti
I don't know whether a reply is sent for every EPG info report.

- Andy
Old 04-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Hopefully you'll hear something in return... Let us know!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Sage User

This is driving me nuts!

When the favorite has re-runs and first-runs I get way too many recorded shows almost all of which I've seen before.

Guess I'll have to use a timed record. :-(
Old 04-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Like I mentioned above, check out any of the custom STVs that will let you limit a fav to a particular timeslot. Once the fav's timeslot option is set, you don't even have to continue using that STV, if you prefer a different one. I don't remember all the ones that have it, but I know my MalDude2 does & so does the Cayars STV. See: List of available customizations

- Andy
Old 04-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Must have worked. Daily Show is now getting real info again.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Like I mentioned above, check out any of the custom STVs that will let you limit a fav to a particular timeslot. Once the fav's timeslot option is set, you don't even have to continue using that STV, if you prefer a different one. I don't remember all the ones that have it, but I know my MalDude2 does & so does the Cayars STV. See: List of available customizations

- Andy
Thanks Andy. I think I must have dimissed that option thinking that introducing a new UI would decrease stability and/or the Wife Acceptance Factor.

But using the STV to setup the favorite and then backing off sounds like a good approach.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertHere
Must have worked. Daily Show is now getting real info again.
It comes and goes. Or at least it has in the past.

BTW, I did get an ACK which was very much appreciated!
Old 04-22-2005, 06:19 PM

Quote:
It comes and goes. Or at least it has in the past.
Just, as a point of info. The same behavior occurs on my Tivo, as well. It's accurate one week and the next I have 4-6 recordings a day. Annoying results, unless you check your upcoming schedule and clear the episodes manually. I like Sage's timeslot feature as a workaround but... I would like an easy way(like Tivo has) to clear an instance of an upcoming recording(favorite,IR or whatever) from the scheduled recordings list(without it effecting Sage's IR logic in any way). Unfortunately I think this would require a change to Sage's core(not just a STV customization), but I'm no Studio genius. I've just been enjoying Sage to watch TV lately, so maybe it's already there. If so, feel free to let me know. Otherwise I guess I'll add another post of my own to the feature request thread.

Note to self:Also ask for abilty to have the watched status of a show resest after a user determined duration. Ideally this would only effect(by allowing recording) Sage's ability to record the show again in the future(after duration limit reached). It should also not effect Sage's IR logic in any way, as above. Sort of a "false" clearing of watched status.

/justme