SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Sage Icon

Question local area or wide area SageTV network?

I was wondering if there would be any licensing or another legal issues with a much wider distribution of SageTV.

For example, the department I work for at the University, I could purchase SageTV and a bunch of SageTV clients. Then distribute those SageTV Clients to personnel in my department. But.. some of those personnel are on the other side of campus. And some could even be at a satellite campus in a different city (we do have a few).

The campus network, at least locally, could handle the bandwidth, and possibly even the satellite campuses, though I think they bandwidth-limit everything non-critical at the border router.

I guess I'm curious if this would be within SageTV licensed usage, and if other laws might apply?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 03-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Administrator

I think that would really be a question for Frey; we could all speculate, but that doesn't really give you an answer.

The store has its own FAQ page with a question about professional use... and it suggests contacting them.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Sage Fanatic

IRRC the license agreement(s) have verbiage referring to personal use at home. You'd likely want/need to check with Frey for the type of usage you suggest. I'd suspect, but don't really know, they'd not a have a problem you paying for a whole bunch of licenses for use at your University. I could be wrong of course. Who knows, you might even get a quantity discount! Then again, could be construed as business use and pay double!

(edit) As usual, quick gun Opus4 post his reply while I'm typing mine!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

I asked Frey this exact question. The prices were slightly higher per license for professional / university use rather than home use, but they had no other restrictions.