SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Sage User

Media Portal is going to the next level

I still find Sage a bit more stable but you have to admit that these guys are doing a phenomenal job for a free software with all the bells and whistles.

http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/mpreview.html
Old 03-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Sage Icon

I wanted to give Media Portal a try last week just to check it out and I couldn't even get past the install because it didn't fit properly on a 640x480 overscanned desktop.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Sage Icon

Sure it does. You can do the same UI adjustments with it as you can any other PVR app I have seen.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Sage Icon

I'm talking about the setup wizard when you install it.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Sage Icon

Heh heh, run in 800x600 for while. I dont know how you stand running that low anyway. Almost everything I use outside of Sage runs better at 800x600 or above.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Sage Icon

I can stand it because I don't do anything outside of TheaterTek and Sage on that machine which is hooked up to my TV.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
still needs major polishing but its moving along nicely. One reason I like sage is that you can be up and running in 10 minutes. Setting up Tuners, especially multiple tuners is still tedious in mediaportal. not to meantion my system is going on its 4th week running with sage running 24/7 and it still is fine vs mediaportal which lasted only a few days before it needed to be closed. six months from now if they keep it up it will be virtually unstoppable however as its surprising how fast they are currently moving.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

wow, believe it or not, I had no idea what mediaportal was before clicking on the link. I mean, I've always heard people mention "mediaportal" but I never gave it a second thought.

It looks pretty damn interesting. I particularlly like the FusionHDTV support.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Sage User

It's a very sweet piece of software. I had looked at it months ago and at the time it was similar to the other bunch out there and not refined. But what a difference a few months make?!!

Sage is a very rock solid PVR app and that is all it is. It is not a front-end HTPC program and I am quite happy with what it has done for me so far.

Media Portal is what Meedio wanted and still wants to do. When Meedio came out, it had a lot of potential but it seems that its development has not progressed at the expected level. MP now does what Meedio or any other all-encompassing HTPC program wants to and then some.

The best part is it's free!! Kudos to its developers for such a fast turn-around and for their interest in open source projects.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone here using MP as a frontend for sage? If so, let me know how you configured it. Also, I was checking out the site and it seems they do not support the actisys and has very limited support for the USBUIRT---and only with girder. I don't even plan on using the PVR aspect of it due to that.
JUC
Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 PM

I don't think the front end parts are too much better than Sage. The music player is pretty simple right now and the video library is similar to Sage. The biggest drawback for me is the remote support. It is supposed to support the MCE05 remote out of the box. Only a few commands are supported and you still need to use a keyboard.

I like how fast it improves though.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Sage User

I have not tried configuring Sage and MP together but to answer you question, from what I see MP has support for "plugins" and one of those plugins is called "My programs" where you can launch an external program within MP. If you try it let us know. see below for more documenation.

http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/manual:toc

http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/documentation.html (check out My Programs)

The USBIRT setup is here
http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/manual:setup:usbuirt
Old 03-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Sage Icon

Hmm, i was hoping to use it for either just the My Music (hoping it was better than sage) or as a frontend. I'll see what happens tonight.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Sage User

I was fiddling with that program for months and couldn't get the epg to work.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbacck
wow, believe it or not, I had no idea what mediaportal was before clicking on the link. I mean, I've always heard people mention "mediaportal" but I never gave it a second thought.

It looks pretty damn interesting. I particularlly like the FusionHDTV support.
US ATSC tunning isn't implemented yet. Other than that and the high resources required, I'd be using it.

Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Lack of support for TV-out on the 350 is a non-starter for me. If/When that is addressed, I would have to give it serious consideration.