SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Command Delay and "bunching up" of commands

Hard to explain this, but I figure others have experienced this as well. I've been using Sage for a while, but mostly with the keyboard, and haven't really heavily used the transport keys.

That all changed recently with my purchase of a Media MVP. Unfortunately, what I'm noticing is a pretty consistent and very annoying situation where the transport keys seem to send their codes, but Sage has a delay in performing the functions. If I try to perform several transport commands in a row (for instance either holding down the REW key or pressing it several times to back up a ways) sage seems to be receiving the codes and storing them somehow so it can perform them when it gets around to it. This effectively locks the thing up until it's finished processing everything.

Is this common? Is there a way around it. I've found myself on several occasions holding down the REW key, finding the delay was unbearable, then tried hitting PAUSE or STOP, or something else and have to wait quite a while before it's finished with everything, often causing some really annoying behaviors as it rewinds several times then pases, then plays, the fast forwards, etc all long after I pressed the keys.

If this is common, is there any way to clear what it's trying to do so I can use the remote again without having to wait for everything to finish? My wife hasn't experienced this yet as she's slow to adopt new stuff, but when she runs across this, the WAF will definitely hit zero.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just to expand on this a bit, this only seems to be happening on the MVP. When using the keyboard with a client on the machine it is lightning fast; when using my THR remote on the same machine there is a bit of slowdown if several transport keys are pressed in a row, but none of the bunching and locking up. Same with another client on my main PC, super fast with the keyboard, so that seems to eliminate network lag as the culprit. The problem seems to be just the MVP.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

No replies, so maybe I need to rephrase the question. Is the situation I described simply a limitation of the MVP, or have others got the transport keys with their MVP to work just like a regular client?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

My experience with the MVP remote is that it is not as fast as using the keyboard on a Client. I thought it had to do with the MVP but it hasn't bothered me all that much.
I recently upgraded the server and now the remote is much faster. I went from a 1.2 GHz to a 2500 Athlon. I also have found that the remote needs to be pointed directly at the MVP to work whereas the television remote is more powerful or puts out a better signal and is more forgiving.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I understand that the keyboard will always be faster, but the slow response wouldn't be that bad if it just ignored the signals it couldn't process. The problem is that it seems to 'cache' these signals and send them when it get around to it. But if I hit the FFWD button like 10 times in a row, I can't do anything until it finally releases the system 30 sec to a couple of minutes later. I plan on programming my universal remote to work with the MVP, so hopefully that will help with the need to point it directly at the MVP.

So you've never had this weird locking of the system if you push a button several ties in succession?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubblwump
So you've never had this weird locking of the system if you push a button several ties in succession?
My system doesn't do this when I use the remote. There is a slight delay but the commands work fairly quickly at this time. It seems though that the system responds slower to FFWD or RWD than just navigating through Menus or screens.