SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
With the imminent release of 3.0, maybe there's a good reason why development has stopped, which many of us are unaware of. At least, that would be a positive way to look at it...
define imminent seems like it's been in the works for some time now...
Old 03-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Windows Release Information:
- We are targeting this spring for a version 3.0 release and this will be a free upgrade to all current SageTV 2.x customers.
Spring is in the air...
Old 03-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

The first day of spring for the Northern Hemisphere comes on Sunday, March 20, at 7:33 a.m. ET

June 21, 2005: First day of Summer

I wouldn't get too antsy quite yet guys. We're only about a week into spring, so lets see what happens over the next couple of months.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, the title of this topic wories me also.
How comes that there is no more development of popular STV's? Is MCE gaining such popularity?
If I was Frey I would put my cards on the Lunix market (what they are doing with release 3.0), and less on the Windows platform market which is gonna be dominated by Microsoft (!). No doubt about that, their are enough examples from the past which showed that they can and did it.

A great example might be from Sage itself; the succes of the SageMC STV, which demonstrates that even SageTV users like MCE (at least the looks and feels .

Don't get me wrong, I love the SageTV product, because it the only one that supports my PVR setup (read: Hauppauge 350, 1GHz processor). And if I didn't believe in it I didn't bought it two weeks ago. It is really a great and superior product compaired to the compitition and I hope the future will bring use an even better product, but I am afraid how long they can keep up...

(Anyone knows how many SageTV users there are? read: enough for Frey to make a living ot of it )
Old 03-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972
(Anyone knows how many SageTV users there are? read: enough for Frey to make a living ot of it )
They must be able to make a living out of it if they can post about job openings in the announcements forum. The rumors about Frey consisting of just 2 people have not been correct for quite some time.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

On the topic of MCE for Sage - BLEH! Tis why I hope people keep developing stuff like Cayars, much more useful.

On the topic of Frey's existance - tell your family, your friends, your neighbors, word of mouth is the BEST way for this product to spread. Every chance I get I tell people how great it is to watch TV without commercials, how great it is to be in control and not have to pay a monthly fee (ok, so the initial hardware costs are a bit higher then a Tivo...). But that's how Sage and Frey can/will gain popularity. Granted this will take further work on Frey's part to help get this thing more mainstream. Probably wouldn't hurt if they started selling pre-packaged "computers" that "grandma" could buy and just plug in, though that's bound to be down the road and is more troublesome then just software.

-Adam
Old 03-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuhawk
On the topic of MCE for Sage - BLEH! Tis why I hope people keep developing stuff like Cayars, much more useful.
...I am leaning towards MCE lately. I've used Cayars for quite some time now, and love it dearly - especially all the 'stuff' crammed in it. But I'm tired of the interface and clutter. MCE is beautiful, simple, sleek, and now incorporates Nielm's Dynamic Menus. It is very nice.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Sage Icon

MCE interface is very nice, but I find it VERY hard to find recordings easily. I guess it is easier if you are the type that deletes recordings after watching them, but I don't do that.

I simply let Sage get rid of the watched shows as it needs space. And if you do that, I don't see any good way to find shows. The folders don't show if there are any watched, versus unwatched shows. So you have to go in every folder to see if there is an unwatched show in it. YUCK!

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoti
...I am leaning towards MCE lately. I've used Cayars for quite some time now, and love it dearly - especially all the 'stuff' crammed in it. But I'm tired of the interface and clutter. MCE is beautiful, simple, sleek, and now incorporates Nielm's Dynamic Menus. It is very nice.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJoel
I simply let Sage get rid of the watched shows as it needs space. And if you do that, I don't see any good way to find shows. The folders don't show if there are any watched, versus unwatched shows. So you have to go in every folder to see if there is an unwatched show in it.
That's what I like about Cayars and Malore's recording setup. It's easy to have everything grouped by show title on the left and sorted by show ID on the right. It's quick, simple, and effective.

That said, that's what makes Sage so great - people have been able to develop so many different STV's (skins) to make it anything they want.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just recently started building a HTPC, and have been looking at the all of the options available - Sage, Beyond TV, WinMCE, Meedio, etc. I have decided to go with Win2003 as the platform, as I am looking for the HTPC to do a bit more than be a Tivo like device. I also decided to go with SageTV as the PVR frontend, but am getting a little frustrated.

SageTV has demonstrated that it is a lot more stable than the other choices, but... It would seem that both Beyond TV, Meedio have more plug-ins / add-ins than Sage and that bothers me. It also seems that for the most part that the STV's are providing modifications to the interface and different ways of accessing the same limited capabilities.

BeyondTV has MSN, Internet Radio, Movie Times, PIN security, etc. Meedio has Skype, Email, more skins than you would ever want, etc. Just how many true functionality extensions have been added to SageTV? For the most part, I want a simple interface with the ability to add functions without replacing the entire STV.

I don't understand why Frey has decided to lock Studio down to such a small beta group. It either works or it doesn't. If it is too complicated for the lay person, so be it, but it has got to be released in order for this community to grow.

I have also seen quite a lot of chatter about the 3.0 version, but not a lot of substance. Are there any beta tests going on for 3.0?

I am willing to bet on SageTV, but I hope they hurry things along. It is very possible that if they lose momentum, someone new (or old) may come along and uproot things.

Just my $.02 worth
Old 05-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Sage User

I have been a sage user for about 3 months, In that time I have come to Love my Sage System, But... There are a few things I would like to see in the system, the options I would like to add are not Main Stream Items and would not be added for a while if ever. Now I am good coder and have written several small apps for my own use and would love to help the community with SDK's but without Studio all I can do is wait and want, I agree with several people in this forum, If sage does not get support from the community it will go the way of the dinosaurs and be out paced by other more Programs that have extensive user input and apps.

As for 3.0 it has been talked about for some time, I suspect that it still has Major problems or we would have heard more on a possible release date.

I understand that people can get tired Programming, But if you are supporting something you have written and the simply disappear you should at least give the work to someone else to continue.

Sorry to Rant and Rave..

I love sage and would be saddened if it were to Die simply because the Makers did not see and use the Large Group of Free talent available to improve there product.

The Doc.