SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Sage User

all the mentions of new/reruns, but im not sure if they cover what i had in mind...
ive only had this setup for 2 days, but i cant figure out why there seems to be no "record all eps unless i already have it" setting.
i would think something already has that, but ive yet to see it anywhere
Old 03-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

it does have that sortuv. ie the result is exactly that

set it to record first runs AND reruns and then mark them "watched" as they are recorded

it will not record the same episode twice if you mark it watched

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/
Old 03-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Sage Icon

I wouldn't mark an episode as watched until you actually watch it when using Sage as it was designed to be used. If the recording exists Sage won't record it again.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
it does have that sortuv. ie the result is exactly that

set it to record first runs AND reruns and then mark them "watched" as they are recorded

it will not record the same episode twice if you mark it watched

Chris Taylor
http://www.zodiacreview.com/

even that is a pita though. it really shouldnt have to be babysat for such a simple feature
Old 03-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Sage Expert

it doesn't need to be babysat. the same episode will never be recorded twice unless you record an episode and delete it before you watch it. sage is probably the smartest out of all the PVR's in terms of the actual TV/Favorites part.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Sage User

"
mark them "watched" as they are recorded
"
sounds like baby sitting to me. have to go in and mark them on a regular basis just to stop it from clogging up your drive. with that huge epg number on every file, how hard could it be to check if it already exists or not.

i largely would like to collect eps from older shows for burning. which means i may or may not watch them anytime soon.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Sage Icon

If the show already exists in your library then it won't record them again. If you delete it or move it from where it's supposed to be then it'll rerecord, thats what the whatched flag is for.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Sage Expert

Not to hijack this thread, but you don't seem to understand. Let me be extremely clear:

You DO NOT have to mark it watched.

Whoever wrote that was wrong. If you set a favorite, it will record all recordings unless you already have it. All we are trying to say is that if you delete it without watching it, it will record that episode again and to prevent this, just mark it watched. Sage is pretty smart about these things. So to reiterate, Sage works the way you want it to. This "record all eps unless i already have it" setting is basically the default. And, as far as i know, all PVR's work like this.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Sage User

hmmm.. well then, i admit i didnt check the physical files, but i have had several duplicates in the recorded shows list i have had to del from there.

and on top of that im having other probs atm, so i cant even dig into this more right now.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Sage Expert

I got a duplicate recently for the first time in a year but almost always you will not get duplicates unless the EPG doesn't have show info, and you really cant' do anything about that. I think the reason I got a duplicate was because, for some reason, the two episodes had different ID numbers, even though they had the same show summary. If you give us the actual names of the shows, maybe that will help. But if it does happen again, I would post it here and maybe even post a bug report because the default behavior of Sage is to not record a show if it is on your computer already.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Administrator

night: nerys is not using SageTV the way it was intended, so while his point is correct for the way he uses SageTV, his comment makes it sound like you have to do extra work that you do not have to do. He doesn't watch shows via SageTV; he lets it record & then promptly moves the shows elsewhere. If you do this, SageTV will not know whether the show has been watched, so it will record the episode again. Thus, he has to manually mark every recorded show as watched, something just about no one else has to do.

What the others have been telling you is entirely correct.

For more info about "watched" shows, see the manual in your SageTV directory or the FAQ thread in this forum.

In the manual, check out the entire "SageTV Quick Start Guide", starting on p. 22 of the v2.2 manual.

In the FAQ thread, see these 2 questions:

Does SageTV know enough to record a show only once? I see that one of my favorites is scheduled to air 3 times this week -- How many of those will be recorded?

If I delete a show, will it be recorded again?

(Both questions are in the same post.)

BTW: I've split this out of the Cayars request discussion.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:12 PM
Sage User

well, the id's part is some insight. the shows were good eats and i believe unwrapped. thats about all i have marked so far until i can finish burning all the crap off the 80gig on my comp to move it over...
Old 03-27-2005, 05:10 AM
Sage User

Quote:
the shows were good eats
One of my favorite shows too!

Anyway I just wanted to share a problem I've been having with a show that I have marked as favorite -first runs. It is "Poker Superstars Invitational Tournament." Every "episode" has the same Show ID: "SH7226780000"

Fox Sports seem to air the new shows on sundays at 8pm here (although I have read that the times will be changing in many areas throughout the season.) Then, they repeat that week's show about 2-4 times a day during the rest of the week. SageTV wants to, and will, record every instance of this show unless I mark each specific instance as having been watched. It starts getting silly too, because there are 2 Fox Sports channels which sometimes air the same repeats at the same time and SageTV will record both
shows.

Does it have something to do with the show ID ending with a "0"?

Although this is annoying, I guess if I think about it I like this better than SageTV not recording the new shows after I mark only one as having been watched.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebedev
Anyway I just wanted to share a problem I've been having with a show that I have marked as favorite -first runs. It is "Poker Superstars Invitational Tournament." Every "episode" has the same Show ID: "SH7226780000"
SageTV wants to, and will, record every instance of this show unless I mark each specific instance as having been watched.
See the FAQ link in my post that is two posts above yours.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, the statements in this thread that Sage wont record the same show twice don't seem to hold true. For instance, I record all Daily Shows that come on with my one favorite for it - however, when I come home there are often 3 or 4 of the _same exact show_ recorded for that. I check the episode number in the description and it's there and they match, so why would Sage record multiple copies of the same show in the same day?

If I happen to be at home when the first one records and mark it watched then it wont record any others - but why wouldn't it check to see if the show is already recorded and waiting for me even though I haven't yet marked it watched?

sounds like a bug to me...
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:04 AM

The Daily Show is a good example of a show whose ID is entered by ZapToIt as different for three airings in one day. Until the data is entered as identical shows Sage will record them thinking they are different episodes.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Does the Daily Show update its airing detail as days goes by or something? I looked at the upcoming arings for that show -- out of 52 shows, 4 have the same unique episode ID (EP###) for a show that first aired last Thursday, and all the rest have the show's generic ID (SH###). If the EP## ID is not set until _after_ the shows air, that is why SageTV can't tell them apart beforehand. (Is that what you meant was happening with this show, mlbdude?)

- Andy
Old 03-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I noticed this funkery with the daily show some time ago.

In the guide it was listed as something like "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and then a few days later, the shows were listed with the guests. Before the names of the guests weren't there. So something is funky with the way that CC provides program info. Screen Savers was like that too, but since that show sucks now, I haven't been paying attention.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

I don't think it looks at the episode number only...there must be something different in the details between those shows.

I had the same problem with the Chappelle show..but other details in the program listing were different..ie description, or original air date were different.

And other shows like the surreal life, seem to mark every episode different/new...eventhough they'll play the same episode 5 times in 1 day.

I thought it was a trick by the networks to force you to see the same show(read---commercials) when using a PVR/DVR device.

BTW, my STB/DVR has the same problems with these shows...so it's not specifically a Sage problem.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
See the FAQ link in my post that is two posts above yours.

- Andy
So if a show lists the same ShowID for each episode, then that's that? Sage will record every single Favorite airing of a show which repeats multiple times?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson