SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Recording duplicates

Quick question. I understand that Sage TV won't record an episode if it's currently on your HD or marked as Watched. But if I watch it on my HD, mark it as watched and then delete it, will deleting it remove the Watched flag? Or is that stored seperately?

Also if I tell it that The Simpsons is a favorite and it queues up the dozen episodes that will aire in the next 2 days (I understand Sage only queues epsiodes to record 2 days in the future). I noticed that it does queue up duplicate episodes. Does it remove these from the queued list as you mark the shows as Watched? Or does it keep them queued and simply not record it at that time. The reason is because I'd like the Scheduled Recordings list to be as accurate as possible and not have to tell the wife "This is what we're recording in the next two days, well not all of that b/c it won't record the same show twice and some of this we've already watched, so not them either....."
Old 04-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbundy
Quick question. I understand that Sage TV won't record an episode if it's currently on your HD or marked as Watched. But if I watch it on my HD, mark it as watched and then delete it, will deleting it remove the Watched flag? Or is that stored seperately?
See If I delete a show, will it be recorded again?, at the bottom of that FAQ entry.

Quote:
Also if I tell it that The Simpsons is a favorite and it queues up the dozen episodes that will aire in the next 2 days (I understand Sage only queues epsiodes to record 2 days in the future). I noticed that it does queue up duplicate episodes. Does it remove these from the queued list as you mark the shows as Watched? Or does it keep them queued and simply not record it at that time.
Actually, it is a 3-day lookahead, see the very next FAQ. But, are you actually looking at the Recording Schedule screen? If so, where are you located? I'm asking, because all of my upcoming Simpsons episodes have unique EP### show IDs, so SageTV can differentiate between them & they would get recorded only once. If they had SH### style show IDs, SageTV would have to record them all because it can't tell them apart -- also mentioned in that FAQ linked above.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I'm looking at the Recording Schedule screen. I realize that shows only get recorded once, so long as I don't delete them without marking them as Watched. However, I'm wondering if the Recording Schedule will remove an epsiode from it's list if you just watched it and flagged it as Watched. I don't want it keeping epsiodes on it's list then right as it's about to record them, determining whether or not the show is flagged and at that point taking it off the list. I want the Recording Schedule to be accurate at all times. That's what I'm asking.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Sage Icon

I recently went into my recordings schedule, found an episode that I have already set as watch scheduled for a second recording. I did not go look to match the episode numbers, but instead went in the detailed screen for the show and marked it watched. I then went to see if it got removed from the recordings schedule, and it did not.

This really screws up the disk usuage chart.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

That's unfortunate then. It makes the Recording Schedule virtually useless if it's cluttered with shows set to record and shows that won't be, as you've previously flagged them as watched or have already recorded them. Oh well. Maybe this will be optimized for v3.0.

That was one thing I liked with BTV. It never scheduled duplicates. So you don't even see them in on the schedule list and get a very accurate view of what your PVR is recording in the future. But more annoying BTV would only record favorites on the channel you've marked them on. That was a deal breaker for me. Simpsons and Family Guy aire on a dozen channels. I'm not going to each channel to set up a schedule for the same show.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Administrator

As I said above: where are you located? That was going to lead to: are you using XMLTV or the built-in US EPG? I'm using the built-in EPG & the only time I have ever seen shows get recorded/scheduled multiple times is when they had different show IDs or the show ID used the same SH### style ID for every airing. I do not see shows in the schedule for ones that I have already recorded or watched & then have them removed from the schedule at the last minute when it notices the show doesn't really need to be recorded.

If the same exact episode uses different IDs for different airings OR if the series uses the same exact ID for every episode, there isn't a whole lot SageTV can do. This post mentions letting Frey know about series where the IDs are not correct. "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" used to have the same ID for all airings, but they now finally use distinct EP ID numbers, so SageTV can finally distinguish between them, for example.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm in Canada and technically I'm supposed to use XMLTV, although there's a method in the Canada section of these forums that allows you to use the built in EPG service. That's what I'm using.

I'll play with scheduling shows tonight, see if I can find any duplicates and write down their ID numbers. Perhaps it's a bug in the Canada work around I'm using that doesn't import everything completely correct. It could be a coincidence but I have noticed almost every show has been tagged "First Run" even though most aren't. One episode of Simpsons had an original air date of July 19th 1996 and Sage said it was a first run, there was also a Sex and the City episode listed as first run. Which obviously it can't be since the show is over now. But almost every show in the guide is listed as first run. I'd guess that it's maybe 1% correct.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Check out the thread for that plugin, then -- there are comments there about its use of show IDs and the first run/rerun issues. The web site & forum linked in the first post also have more info about it.

This is why it would be great for people to mention their location, or even list the location as part of forum profile -- it helps diagnose issues that may be specific to certain places.

- Andy
Old 04-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'll take a look, thanks.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbundy
That's unfortunate then. It makes the Recording Schedule virtually useless if it's cluttered with shows set to record and shows that won't be, as you've previously flagged them as watched or have already recorded them. Oh well. Maybe this will be optimized for v3.0.
FYI, if a show is in the Recording Schedule, it will get recorded. If a show is in there that you've see, then, as Andy mentioned, it's likely that for some reason the guide data makes Sage think it's new, or is such that Sage can't tell if it's been watched (SH* IDs, etc) in which case it airs on the side of caution and records it.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

I fixed a majority of my FirstRun/ReRun issues by setting a flag. However, some of them are still wrong, but it looks like it's related to that EP/SH thing you mentioned. Nothing we can do about this huh? Crud. Oh well. For the most part shows are correct now, the incorrect ones seem to be centralized on certain channels. Like Fox, The Simpsons is always listed as FirstRun on Fox, and it always has an episode number of SH.