SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oh baby

Drool
Old 04-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Sage Icon

Bahh, no ethernet!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oh, baby!
Old 04-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Sage Expert

Nice, but man, that price!
Old 04-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I actually worked it out - 4x250mb drives plus 4xfirewire enclosures worked out to $880, give or take. Plus, it's all in one box with one power cable and one interface cable...

Ya just gotta save up a bit
Old 04-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

(They also have a 1.6 terabyte drive... $1800. Yowza!)
Old 04-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Sage Icon

you can get these refurbished direct off their site for like $700

EDIT:

here ya go!

http://www.lacie.com/products/cleara...ucts/?id=10007

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:31 PM
SageTVaholic

It's OK, but I just added it up, and my 1.75TB RAID-5 array (8xWD2500JB+3ware 7506-8) was just under $1400, and it can survive a drive failure.

Now, if they were RAID-5
Old 04-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
It's OK, but I just added it up, and my 1.75TB RAID-5 array (8xWD2500JB+3ware 7506-8) was just under $1400, and it can survive a drive failure.

Now, if they were RAID-5
Yeah, but ya gotta put it in something. And it sure won't be your TV cabinet. That's what I'm struggling with right now.

OT: Hey, do you know if that 3ware controller can migrate from one drive, to two w/ raid 0, to three with raid 5 w/o reformating? I know it supports raid level migration, but some controllers only migrate down, can it migrate up? I sent an email to their support line, and haven't heard anything.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
Yeah, but ya gotta put it in something. And it sure won't be your TV cabinet. That's what I'm struggling with right now.
I can't say for sure without hearing one, but I doubt I'd want one of those Lacie things in my HT either. Plus you can't run SageTV on one of those

Quote:
OT: Hey, do you know if that 3ware controller can migrate from one drive, to two w/ raid 0, to three with raid 5 w/o reformating? I know it supports raid level migration, but some controllers only migrate down, can it migrate up? I sent an email to their support line, and haven't heard anything.
I believe that the latest driver release added OCE and RLM for the 9000 series. I don't know if you can go from 1 to RAID-0, but I assume you can go from RAID-0 to RAID-5.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hence, my "Bahhh" above for the missing ethernet. I have a 160gb Ximeta NetDisk down in the basement on the router/switch. Granted I haven't as yet put any video on it and tried to play it, but it does play high bitrate MP3's with no trouble.

One of these days I've got to put some of my recordings on it and see how they perform in SageTv. Then if that goes well I'll see if I can actually use it as a recording device. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for that with all the other network traffic I've got (email/Web surfing, 2 networked ReplayTV's, etc, etc), but we'll see.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Sage Expert

I've been looking at these NAS devices recently, well this one's not a NAS cause it has no ethernet, and decided to stick with a file server. These things are nice to add to a business but, for home use, ther're not practical. I mean how often do you go into your Sage server to mess with your media files? I do all the time. Thats not practical with a NAS box. Even over firewire-800, its not fast enough to, say, do simple video editing or reompression. What about retagging 1000 MP3s to put onto your Ipod an hour before you have to leave for the airport? Or burning 1000 pictures to a CD without error? Not to mention, with no fault tollerance, you're asking to loose 1TB of files at some point.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
I've been looking at these NAS devices recently, well this one's not a NAS cause it has no ethernet, and decided to stick with a file server. These things are nice to add to a business but, for home use, ther're not practical. I mean how often do you go into your Sage server to mess with your media files? I do all the time. Thats not practical with a NAS box. Even over firewire-800, its not fast enough to, say, do simple video editing or reompression. What about retagging 1000 MP3s to put onto your Ipod an hour before you have to leave for the airport? Or burning 1000 pictures to a CD without error? Not to mention, with no fault tollerance, you're asking to loose 1TB of files at some point.
FWIW, I'm a film/video editor, and have used LaCie's drives in a professional environment before. Their 500gb fw800 model worked fairly well. We used 4 per station on 3 stations through a 3 month edit, cutting 12 hours a day, and only lost one drive. To replace it, we copied the media to a new drive and were back up in under 5 hours. We could edit 5 dv streams picture in picture in real-time on a dual-2ghz G5. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I agree about fault tolerance though. For a TB of a DVD collection, it's invaluable.

Also, I finally got a response from 3ware - their 9000 series CAN level up RAID migrate. I'm very excited about this, and am planning my RAID5 case right now. I think 2.8TB final size will be good, no?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't think it's big enough
Old 04-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Sage User

Anyone tried one of these? I've been thinking of attaching one to my network and essentially just having my Sage Server record to it.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...p?productid=97

1TB storage, Gb ethernet, USB2.0, RAID
Old 04-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
I don't think it's big enough
Hehe, there's never enough space, why do we try to keep up?

Anyways, I'm going to use an old reciever case I gutted as the drive cage, and I'll put it under my TV cabinet for now. We'll see how loud things get, but my plans include vibration isolators, so hopefully that'll mitigate that problem slightly.

Eventually, I'll move everything into a closet when I upgrade my main HTPC and get a huge server case and a 12 channel RAID card to add to. By that time I figure drive sizes will be around 6 or 700gb. Making the total size of that one about 6.6 or 7.7TB giving me around 10TB in about 2-3 years. I'm guessing that'll be about the time I upgrade everthing to HD too, so I'll be set for another year or so....
Old 04-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Eventually, I'll move everything into a closet when I upgrade my main HTPC and get a huge server case and a 12 channel RAID card to add to. By that time I figure drive sizes will be around 6 or 700gb. Making the total size of that one about 6.6 or 7.7TB
Not that it's a pressing matter, but you're planning in sticking to RAID 5 on a 12 channel controller ?

Gog
Old 04-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

Probably RAID5 w/ a hot spare.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I think 2.8TB final size will be good, no?
Heh heh, one can never have enough storage but you'll be 2 gigs more then my new final home media server . Though I'm giving Sage a bit over half a TB by itself. I never want to see the recording space bar turn orange again .

Thanks for that info on the NAS devices. Considering how slow Premiere is when rendering, I figured a decrease in drive access time by the limit of gigabit ethernet would compound the time delay. Thanks for clearing that up. Though I'd still rather have a file server than a NAS box.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
Heh heh, one can never have enough storage but you'll be 2 gigs more then my new final home media server . Though I'm giving Sage a bit over half a TB by itself. I never want to see the recording space bar turn orange again .

Thanks for that info on the NAS devices. Considering how slow Premiere is when rendering, I figured a decrease in drive access time by the limit of gigabit ethernet would compound the time delay. Thanks for clearing that up. Though I'd still rather have a file server than a NAS box.
That's what I'm running into now. I just added a pvr500 to my box giving me 3 tuners, and MAN does this thing burn through hard drive space.

I think there are very specific instances when NAS makes sense for home use. Like when you have a non-sage media extender and don't want to run your main computer all the time. Some add print servers to the mix though, and those are obviously more usefull (at least IMO).

Yeah, no offense, but premiere sucks. Get Avid FreeDV. It's free, and has a much better core. Not as many bells & whistles, but it's pretty effective. Kinda like iMovie except better. If you're editing sage-captured files, use videoredo, that one isn't free, but it edits mpeg2 natively, and will not have to render things - reducing PQ.

Woah, left turn huh?

Back on track - that LaCie drive looks pretty nice, but I don't think I'd get one for my HTPC, it's too much $ per GB. It's much more cost effective to build some sort of file server. Now if you're asking for a consult on an editing system - I'd say: "Take a look." 85mbs is enough to do uncompressed video, and for $700 (or $1200, whatever) that isn't bad at all. 5 years ago I bought a 120gb SCSI array for $1200, and that was a deal.