SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Sage User

.TS Firewire capture -- How to change default file name

I have setup the Firewire capture process as outlined in a number of posts and it worked great -- first time.

I am doing something different from most people -- I only use Sage as my .TS file capture process and I use a new network aware DVD player to playback my Sage .TS files (IO Data Linkplayer2). This combination works best for me as I use the strengths of Sage for the capture process (integrated EPG, favorites and so on) and the strengths of the IO Data Linkplayer2 for the playback process (network file playback, native .ts file support, HD file playback capabilities up to 1080i,). All in all a great combination for me.

The other big plus is the graph I am using in SGraphRecorder is very simple and only contains three components -- and because there is no .TS to .MPG "live" conversion the HTPC system requirements are quite low (1.8mhz P4 with 256K uses only 15% cpu during file captures).

Now to my question -- is there anyway to change the default file saving extension that Sage uses. Right now the default format is .mpg -- but my files are actually .ts file format -- so when everything is complete I have to rename all the saved files. Not a big deal as I have a batch file that will do this but changing the default format would make the entire process even more seamless.

Any Ideas?

Mike
Old 04-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Sage Expert

Cool. No help for the file extention though. Don't think there is way to have Sage use anything different. Nothing in "sage.properties" that I can find. Something that should perhaps be added to the "Sage feature request" list.

Couple of comments: It's not so much the capture process or even the conversion step that uses up CPU but the decoding side that really sucks up horsepower. The HD MPEG2-TS or converted MPEG2-PS from an STB will peg a 3 GHz CPU w/o DXVA hardware decoding assist. Supposedly, the Intervideo video codec that Sasem uses is customized to take some short cuts that ease CPU software decoding consumption for HD streams. I have it but have not yet tried it. With DXVA enabled, I run 15 - 30% CPU for Live TV viewing which represents the entire process (capture, conversion, DXVA decode). Without DXVA, my overclocked 2600+ (about 3000+ equivalent OC'd) falls to it's knees.

Anyway, the real time conversion of TS --> PS may no longer now be necessary for Sage. Sage was supposed to have the ability to handle TS files for a while now but in fact had issues; hence the need for the graph for SGR which does TS to PS conversion. Frey was listening and supposedly fixed some things with regard to playback of TS files with the last beta or two and final release of 2.2. I have been meaning to re-look the direct handling of TS files by Sage but since everything seems to be working so well for me, I have not felt like "fixing" it. Besides, MPEG2-PS is easier to do something with like make a DVD.

Since you are moving the streams across a network, have you found the need for Gig-E for HD or are you getting by with 100? It has been stated that Gig-E was needed but later retracted, I think.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Can you post a pic of your graph? What filters are you using for a TS>TS capture using the UNE?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Sage User

Network loading looks great

DFA:

The load on my 100Mbps home network is quite low -- to my surprise when I run task manager in network monitoring mode the loading is about 20% when I am playing back a High Definition .TS file using the IO Data Linkplayer. All test High Definition .ts playback runs have been great with no shuddering or delays. This is in part due to the networked DVD player which has a very large internal buffer.

As an experiment I captured a one hour show using Sage to the server (CSI-NY in HD) and at the same time watched another show captured earlier (Law and Order HD) from the same server using the network connected DVD player. Everything played back and recorded simultaneously with no issues.

As a worst case test I repeated the above experiment (recording one show while watching another) and added in a background High Definition .ts file copy from one dive to another on the same server (my network file server and Sage capture server are combined on one box and I have attached four separate 250gig external drives via USB2.0 – soon to be expanded to six external 250gig external drives). Everything continued to work perfectly – to my great surprise

Spaceghost:

I will post a screen capture of my graph tomorrow.

MJS
Old 04-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Sage Expert

Amazing. I had not bothered to do the math, but my gut reaction was that bottle necking or at least watchability problems would start to occur with more than one HD stream passing at a time at 100.

Thanks very much for that info. A big surprise to me as well.

It's a shame that for those of us that have this going and are enjoying HD with the convenience of Sage have to live under the black cloud of 5C wondering when it will rain on our parade.

Otherwise, the SGR / UNE is a very cool thing that allows to do some interesting and creative things with Sage. Thanks Anders.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 04-07-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

msmith8228-
sent you a PM. can you post your graphedit .jpg please?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Sage User

TS Only GRF

Spaceghost:

My appologies in taking so long to post this -- but I was away on an unexpected business trip (with no internet access).

As you will see the atteched screen capture jpg of my graph is very simple -- it all worked the first time when I "pre-tested" it using Graphrecorder and then when I put it into production with Sage + SGraphRecorder.

I have also attached a screen capture of the CPU usage while an hour long High Definition program was being captured in Sage using this process. The computer here is a 1.8 Mhz with 256Meg memeory -- and as you can see the overall system loading is extreemely low.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSonly grf.jpg (20.7 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg cpu during firewire capture.JPG (65.7 KB, 345 views)
Old 04-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

msmith8228-
Thanks for the pic. That is easy. Have you tried to watch a file (with sage) while it's being recorded?

Chris
Old 04-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

What is that last file writer filter? Is that the Moolight writer as in spaceghosts tutorial?