SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Sage User

Recorded files missing

I was going to catch up today on several episodes of two tv series I always record. all the files for both series ( about 4 of each ) were missing.

Does sagetv delete files from the library after a set period of time?

Thanks,

Kirk

AMD 2.8, MSI kt6v MB, 1 gig ddr ram, chaintech geforce 5700, dual WD 160 gig SATA HD, Sony dwd22a DVD burner, hauppauge PVR 250mce, Hauppauge PVR 500mce.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
Does sagetv delete files from the library after a set period of time?
No, but they can be deleted to make room for new recordings. Some recordings will not be automatically deleted -- see Appendix C, starting on p. 189 in the v2.2. manual.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Sage User

in the general setup, video directories is set to use all of the hard drive. in favorites manager, under favorites manager, keep at most was set to all.

i have a 160 gig hard drive, and it was only 1/2 full

Kirk

AMD 2.8, MSI kt6v MB, 1 gig ddr ram, chaintech geforce 5700, dual WD 160 gig SATA HD, Sony dwd22a DVD burner, hauppauge PVR 250mce, Hauppauge PVR 500mce.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
in favorites manager, under favorites manager, keep at most was set to all.
See the appendix I pointed you to. That is not the setting which determines whether SageTV is allowed to automatically delete a show when more space is needed.

Quote:
i have a 160 gig hard drive, and it was only 1/2 full
Make sure you don't have some sort of protection for deleted files (like the Norton Recycle Bin), because very often files can still look like they use disk space after deleting them, so SageTV decides it has to delete another file to make more room.

On the other hand, what I've said about deleting files to make room for new recordings may have nothing to do with your situation, but it was a good place to start. Are you sure the recordings existed in the first place?

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Sage User

yes, i am sure that the files existed, there were four episodes of each show recorded.

I re-read manual pages 189-190 regearding file management by sagetv. i did go in and set shows i want to be sure and keep to 'auto delet - no'.

I don't have norton, or any other software installed to manage the recyle bin. the computer that i am running sage tv on has a minimal amount of software ( winxp pro, sage tv, and streamzap remote software ) installed on it. it is used only for sagetv.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Administrator

I can't think of too much else. Older versions used to delete shows when they no longer qualified as favs -- after you changed the fav's settings, for example. If the files are no longer on the hard drive, I can't think of anything at the moment. (Anyone else?) If the files are still on the drive, double check the Options menu in the SageTV Recordings screen to be sure they aren't just filtered out.

-A ndy
Old 04-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Sage Expert

I've had this happen to me with timed recordings (not reoccuring but single timed recordings). From my understanding these should never be automatically deleted but its happened twice. The thing I noticed both times was that I was low on HD space. So I did a workaround to never have this happen again but its kind of extreme. Maybe you could use it for the short term till you track down the problem. Whenver I schedule a single timed recording, I deny my login user account (not administrator) delete privilages to that directory (of course change was enabled). Obviously this means that Sage cannot delete anything so, after I am ready to delete the timed recording, I return full access priviledges to that account. This works for me because I rarely schedule non-reoccuring timed recordings. For you its only a small band-aid till the real culprit can be found.