SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:57 AM

Any TimeWarner Cable user here have you seen this odd artifact

Have you ever seen anything like this before in below screenshot
Need to say I has to switch from DishNetwork to Time Warner Digital Cable due to the fact that I had move to new place damm it and I want keep my dish box but couldn't.
After rev a new PVR 500MCE the other day which help I think but I think, I need to do retest I hope retest both old and new 500 card that if I fell better in the next fews days I hate being sick as a dog.
Any way with the old PVR 250MCE and ATI 550 Pro the 1st image I don't see that problem but with 2nd image I still see it on both card but with the ATI 550 Pro it seem to help clean it up a little better then 250 but not much but helps and I even try going direct to the Tuner bypassing the Pioneer BD-V100 which didn't help any way.
I have try test cable line by going direct cable with out any cable splitter, cable modem, etc but it still come up with the some problem and also try bypassing the Electroline EDA-2100 drop amp but due to long cable (200'+) and cable splitter this help a lot on picture breaks up on channels above 100 but it odd that even the so called Digital channel show the same thing on like on 108, 120 after all cartoon are well know for showing artifact much eazy then then reg show and moive etc, etc and far I can tell it on all channel but it very hard catch them but it a little with news like CNN oo CNNI.
The only thing I haven't try was the On Demand stuff which look pettey cool.

I have never seen any artifact look this before any idea?.
Image 1:

So have ever seen anything like this any idea what maybe cuase this?.
Image 2:
Old 04-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

One thing to keep in mind (and I'm sure you alredy know this; even though I didnt' when I made the same move from Dish Network to Time Warner) is that unlike Dish, digital cable isn't all digital. In fact, its not even mostly digital. Most Time Warner channels are analog and I really, REALLY miss the quality of the picture I used to get with Dish Network.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:45 PM

Any TimeWarner Cable user here have you seen this odd artifact

Have you ever seen anything like this before in below screenshot
Need to say I has to switch from DishNetwork to Time Warner Digital Cable due to the fact that I had move to new place damm it and I want keep my dish box but couldn't.
After rev a new PVR 500MCE the other day which didn't help I think but I think, I need to do retest I hope retest both old and new 500 card that if I fell better in the next fews days I hate being sick as a dog.
Any way with the old PVR 250MCE and ATI 550 Pro the 1st image I don't see that problem but with 2nd image I still see it on both card but with the ATI 550 Pro it seem to help clean it up a little better then 250 but not much but helps and I even try going direct to the Tuner bypassing the Pioneer BD-V100 which didn't help any way.
I have try test cable line by going direct cable with out any cable splitter, cable modem, etc but it still come up with the some problem and also try bypassing the Electroline EDA-2100 drop amp but due to long cable (200'+) and cable splitter this help a lot on picture breaks up on channels above 100 but it odd that even the so called Digital channel show the same thing on like on 108, 120 after all cartoon are well know for showing artifact much eazy then then some reg show and moive etc, etc and far I can tell it on a lot of channel but it very hard catch them a little bit with news like CNN and CNNI.
It even on the On Demand stuff as well.

Note Update: Hauppauge Engineering belive that it is very likely that my video quality issues in Image 1 is most likey due to the version of the board that I have which is ver 3 so there senting me a much newer rez board which I hoping will fix that problem.
So my main concerned about 2ns and 3rd picture as for now.

So have ever seen anything like this any idea what maybe cuase this?.
Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:
Old 04-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Sage User

Most of the recordings I take have artifacts like image 3. I also get top of picture artifacts on most channels except for HBO. For everyday watch-n-delete shows I can ignore it. For archived shows (personal use) I put the recordings through TMPGenc - crop and transcode.

A bigger problem, for me at least, is what NBC is doing with the sound. I don't know whether it is a national problem or local, but the sound level is much higher than all other channels. Results in nasty clipping. Guess I'll have to find a sound level recording adjustment hack.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Sage User

Oh, yeah, I just have analog cable. Supposedly redistributed from a DirecTV dish somewhere on the condo complex. I can't remember the DirecTV that I subscribed to being any better.