SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Sage User

Help Fusion tune QAM channels

Actually, this is not (yet) a Sage issue. I just got a Fusion III HDTV Gold-T/Q to complement my PVR-250, which has been running fine on Sage. My cable company, Cox, distributes about half a dozen of the OTA HDTV channels, and people seem to have located them in the areas of 75-2,90-3, or 706, 708, etc.

I am trying to get the card to work in the POS FusionHDTV app first, then in Sage using the beta encoder. I cannot figure out how to do it, though. Any time I scan CATV, the picture looks like crap and it's B&W. When I switch to Air, it looks fine, but the card only scans channels up to 125 or so and it doesn't find the higher channels or sub-channels. I am prolly just being an idiot, but if someone knows how to do this I'd appreciate the help.

FWIW, I have tried the Beta3 Fusion driver, 2.99.7 and the coax from the wall goes into a splitter, with one coax going to the 250 and the other to the Fusion. They both see a strong, clear picture on the analog channels.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm going to take this a little out of order

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettejock99
When I switch to Air, it looks fine, but the card only scans channels up to 125 or so and it doesn't find the higher channels or sub-channels. I am prolly just being an idiot, but if someone knows how to do this I'd appreciate the help.
Digital TV logic can take some getting used to, don't sweat it. Firstly it's 100% correct not to scan above 125, because there's nothing there, everything on digital cable is on channels <125. How do they do it? 1) They cram about 9 digital channels in the space of 1 analog channel (ie for me, the Showtime channels are on ch 80, taking up subs 1-9). Sometimes they cram more, sometimes less.

Then, to make it easier for people using STBs, they assign vitual channel #s to each sub, so that 80-1 would show up as 200 on an STB. An example, DiscoveryHD on my system, is on physical (RF) channel 34 (or something), but that would show up as 801 on an STB.

Quote:
I am trying to get the card to work in the POS FusionHDTV app first, then in Sage using the beta encoder. I cannot figure out how to do it, though. Any time I scan CATV, the picture looks like crap and it's B&W.
Sounds like it's finding the analog cable channels. If your Fusion is anything like my MyHD, you have to tell it to scan Cable, and enable "Digital" or "QAM" scanning for it to find the digital stations.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Sage User

Thanks, Stanger. That is quite helpful. I have "found" many of the channels now with the basic Fusion HDTV app, but the screen is blank other than the signal meter showing it sees something. I suspect it is a finicky software upgrade. I get audio on some of the digital channels as well.

Of course, getting HDNE and Sage to work will be the greatest, but it sounds like Fusion support isn't quite there yet. Anyway, good work and thanks to all of you.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettejock99
Thanks, Stanger. That is quite helpful. I have "found" many of the channels now with the basic Fusion HDTV app, but the screen is blank other than the signal meter showing it sees something. I suspect it is a finicky software upgrade. I get audio on some of the digital channels as well.
I suspect it's working fine and that all the channels it found are encrypted. That's exactly the same thing the MyHD does on encrypted channels, black screen.

Quote:
Of course, getting HDNE and Sage to work will be the greatest, but it sounds like Fusion support isn't quite there yet. Anyway, good work and thanks to all of you.
Unless I'm wrong, Fusions work fine, but there's no QAM support yet.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Sage User

Don't you just LOVE when you type a lengthy reply and your browser crashes on submit?

Argh...Anyway, Stanger, I am trying to receive the OTA channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and ESPNHD, INHD) Cox cable rebroadcasts unencrypted in channels 75-2, 90-1, etc. I thought I read that I need QAM to do this, yes? If not, I am selling this Fusion and picking up a HDTV Wonder and an A180.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

If you want to get them over cable, then yes you need QAM capability.

The only other possibility is that they are on a different subchannel, not all subchannels are encrypted/in-the-clear.