SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Sage Expert

Xbox 360

Has anyone read about it? It will stream TV from Windows MCE and MCE is going to have CableCard support with the next release of Windows. 360 will also should allow streaming of HDTV from MCE.

You can plan on 360 supporting MCE out of the box with no need for a disc like you need with Xbox 1.

To be honest, I think it is going to hurt Sage and others once the next version of Windows is out and CableCard is running. With the integration with everything I think I would even put a 360 on each of my TVs and switch over to MCE that is it if supports DirecTV with CableCard.

Last edited by phenixdragon; 05-13-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Sage Icon

I agree that the X360 will be a really cool device, and it's media extender capabilities will tempt a lot of people away from other TV solutions.

But you shouldn't bet on DirectTV supporting CableCard, AFAIK they don't fall under that regulation, and have no plans to adopt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon
Has anyone read about it? It will stream TV from Windows MCE and MCE is going to have CableCard support with the next release of Windows. 360 will also should allow streaming of HDTV from MCE.

You can plan on 360 supporting MCE out of the box with no need for a disc like you need with Xbox 1.

To be honest, I think it is going to hurt Sage and others once the next version of Windows is out and CableCard is running. With the integration with everything I think I would even put a 360 on each of my TVs and switch over to MCE that is it if supports DirecTV with CableCard.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Sage Expert

Hard to really say, I know MSFT is working with Sat providers for it but never said who. I do know DirecTV has integration on some TVs and some even have HDTV tuners built directly into the tube. To be honest, I think it would be years (3 or 4) before I would see a solution to have CableCard or something like it on MCE.

But, in Europe News Corp has allowed their Sat over there to use PCI cards in computers so you new know how it will work. Just have to wait and see.

Too bas Sage isn't going to be integrated in 360. At least I wouldn't expect it even though they could be.

I do see another frivolous law suit against MSFT for making things so integrated and it is all BS they can sued over it and have been already. If you don’t like it don’t buy it or just change it to how you like it. MSFT has never locked out others such as I could install Netscape if I wanted to.

But the PS3 should also have some type of media center setup, they had that one in Japan but it was like a grand for it and was a disappointment. But we will have to wait until E3 to see how it will be used.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:08 AM

I wouldn't count on it being DirecTV more likey it is Dishnetwork but then againe you never know.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 AM
SageTVaholic

D* support won't be CableCard (Satellite uses CAMs), but I wouldn't be too surprised, that if we see CableCard support in MCE, that at least Dish would allow the use of their CAMs/cards in PC hardware. Why? Because it would require no change on the part of Dish, other than to issue cards that work in the currently available DVB-S cards.

I've got to say, if MCE supports CableCard (or especially D*), and the 360 can play recordings, and if Sage doesn't, I'll be switching.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Sage Icon

From what I've read, it seems that the 360 will be able to stream content from a host PC, so you will at least be able to use it as a viewing client.

The problem with fully integrating Sage is many-fold. You would need to get signed code (or a hacked xbox), a java client, and a sage client.

So unless someone could figure a way to fool the Xbox into thinking Sage was MCE (actually not a bad idea), I wouldn't expect the 360 to directly support SageTV.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:28 PM

I maybe wrong but dosen't CableCARD and SmartCARD do the same thing unscrambles the signal, obtain information, updated with your new subscription, etc, etc so it should real matter that much.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Sage Icon

As I understand it: The CableCard standard is an interface similar to a network card, in that it identifies itself to the cable network AND decodes the signal.

The SmartCARD is simply a fingerprint ID that is linked to your subscriber number, a separate device is required to take that SmartCard, and link it to the network.

I'd love to be corrected if this is inaccurate, but I don't think it is.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
I've got to say, if MCE supports CableCard (or especially D*), and the 360 can play recordings, and if Sage doesn't, I'll be switching.
I think you are over-simplifying the situation. MS has already said that the 360 will have some extender capabilities, but I wouldn't expect it to be a full-fledged extender.

I mean, it might be great for the kids room or entertainment room, so you don't have to have a SageTV Client or extender.. but not for every room. Who wants to have an Xbox in every single room? That's overkill!
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 05-13-2005, 02:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Re CableCard:
CableCard, and the CAM for satellite, both serve the same function, and do so in a similar way, your provider gives you a PCMCIA card that you plug into your recieving device (be it CableCard TV, Sat box, or DVB card with CAM module), the PCMCIA card is basically the key that allows the recieving device to decrypt the incoming signal.

However CableCard and CAM/DVB-CI are different specs, and while I haven't dug into the specifications much, I believe they are different and incompatible (although at least the PCMCIA card intface is near identical).

Also AFIAK, currently CableCard 1.0 and CAM/DVB-CI are 1-way interfaces, they're recieve only.

Now there's been a lot of talk about MCE adding CableCard support. And while this wouldn't automatically work for satellite, my guess/hope is that this new market would be seen as competition to satellite and Dish network especially (since they have all the hardware in place, they use DVB-S, and a slight variant on DVB-CI) would offer/allow the use of PCI DVB-S cards and CI to recieve all their content. DirecTV is a little more questionable since they don't use DVB-S so it would be much harder (read new hardware required) for them to support MCE/PC PVR directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
I think you are over-simplifying the situation. MS has already said that the 360 will have some extender capabilities, but I wouldn't expect it to be a full-fledged extender.
Not really, the situation is this, there's been talk of CC for MCE, and the 360 will work as an MCE extender with HD support (see the official 360 page). But there are two important questions:
Will MCE actaully support CableCard (at this point it's hard to believe it won't).
Will the 360 (or any extender) be able to play protected recordings.

To me, if the answer to both of these is yes (especially if the answer to the first one involves D*), then MCE will offer a real benefit over what I have now. If the same (direct recording of digital broadcasts) is not possible with Sage, then I will most likely switch. Well, even then I might not, most of what I watch is on analog cable, so until that goes digital or I can record D* I probably won't change.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Sage Icon

I will admit that when its release that I will probably convert to MCE. Its just interfaces too damn well to ignore anymore.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:29 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas

I mean, it might be great for the kids room or entertainment room, so you don't have to have a SageTV Client or extender.. but not for every room. Who wants to have an Xbox in every single room? That's overkill!
To be honest, I would buy a 360 for every TV in my house if MCE support DTV or TDN. Id rather not leave DTV and DTV and MSFT have worked in the past before on products so I would assume they will work out a way to get MCE to work with it but we will have to wait and see.

But as for the comment above about it having some capibilities, from everything I have seen it will be a full fledge box for MCE. Such as streaming music, video, photos, etc... But I think we just have to wait and see.

And I don't get why people say DTV couldn't ork with CableCARD. In reality, if CableCARD specs woudln't work now, there is a way to have DTV be tuned by MCE. With technoligy, there is always a way.

Last edited by phenixdragon; 05-16-2005 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon
And I don't get why people say DTV couldn't ork with CableCARD. In reality, if CableCARD specs woudln't work now, there is a way to have DTV be tuned by MCE. With technoligy, there is always a way.
It's not that DTV wouldn't work, it's that DTV, due to thier infrastructure (non-MPEG2 video, and not using the DVB-S standard) it would require hardware that does not exist yet. On the other hand with Dish Network, all the hardware already exists.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Sage Expert

I am just saying it can be done even if it requires new hardware and I would have to say it will be done. MSFT and DTV were buddy buddy at one time. Not sure how it is now though but they use to be. But also I am not sure if that was before News Corp bought DTV.

But also remember, they are moving to MP4 soon which even just the receives now (at least for HDTV) will over time require users to have a receiver that handles MP4.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I'd be surprised now if we don't see direct D* recieving, but I figure it will take a little longer on DTV than on DN.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Sage Expert

I will agree with that.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

"SageTV Media Center Extender for XBOX 360" That would sound awesome. But unfortunately, its only wishful thinking. :P

Anyway, MS announced the Windows Media Center Extender is free and included in every xbox 360. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...CEE32005PR.asp

This is one up for MS-MCE over SageTV. Hope SageTV will counter with something as cool when v3 ships, again.. wishful thinking.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:28 PM

Mayamaniac I hate say it but I fell sorry the foolish people buy in to this MCE carp after all the MPAA and RIAA is backing MCE 100%.
Rigth now some Premium channel like HBO, Showtime and Cinemax all ready have (CGMS-A) Content Generation Management System for Analog and if MPAA has it way you be SOL not just Premium channel but all channels as long you used Windows Media Center with it DRM carp.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
SageTVaholic

If you think the happy days of no DRM are going to last, you're diluding yourself.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
Mayamaniac I hate say it but I fell sorry the foolish people buy in to this MCE carp after all the MPAA and RIAA is backing MCE 100%.
Rigth now some Premium channel like HBO, Showtime and Cinemax all ready have (CGMS-A) Content Generation Management System for Analog and if MPAA has it way you be SOL not just Premium channel but all channels as long you used Windows Media Center with it DRM carp.
Well, it hasn't happened yet, so we will see. I don't think MS gives a crap about the RIAA or MPAA, DRM is just to protect their MSN music service.

Besides, have you learn nothing from all these years concerning piracy? Anything the RIAA or MPAA do to protect their assets (more money) can be reversed or hacked.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.