SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

shows showing up as watched if left on live tv

Does this drive anyone else crazy? My wife will be watching live tv on sage.( I never watch live tv) and she will leave it on and switch inputs on the tv so the kids can watch a dvd or watch our dish pvr. Any shows that record after that are marked as watched. I think only shows you choose on the recordings list should show up as watched. I have asked her to press stop before she switches and she just tells me to fix it so it doesn't do that. Any ideas. I don't remember this happening till lately using version 2.27 and cayars 17.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:43 AM

I think that always happened. I don't know of any way for Sage to actually determine if you are physicaly watching the show or not and Sage is designed pretty heavily around that watch feature. Maybe an option to never set a show as watched unless you manually do it?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Sage Expert

IMHO, the item should not even show in the list of recordings, and should get deleted at the first opportunity. It is a *live buffer*, so there is no real reason to save it.

BTW, I know my Dish PVR (721 model) had the ability to shut itself off after 4 hours of no activity (no button presses, autotunes, etc.). Perhaps they could put in some sort of feature like that for Sage...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Like mlbdude said, this has always happened. SageTV tracks how much of a show you have watched, so once the show is complete, it has all been watched. And, it can happen to more than just unwanted live TV, since live TV may run across shows that are in your schedule & begin watching/playing them too. You could always submit a feature request/suggestion for an option to have the watched status be cleared automatically for live TV when a show is over. Note the limit to Live TV for this so that it doesn't interfere with watching recorded shows. (Hmmm... that would help clear up IR problems where it picks up live TV snippets as 'liked' shows... I could go for that!)

If the answer is "no" and/or for the time being, just remember: there are always new habits to learn for anything. Sometimes they seem strange unless you condsider the 'new' habit from another perspective. If it is too much trouble for someone to press the Stop or Power buttons before switching the TV away from SageTV... is it too much trouble to turn the car off before getting out of it? Does the milk get put back in the refrigerator when you are done pouring some? Do you sleep in a lit room because it is too much trouble to turn the room lights off before going to sleep? When you are done watching TV, does the TV set get turned off? Do you turn your water faucets off, or have you installed those auto-shutoff faucets? Many things have a completion step that must be used when you are done with them, but they have become so habitual that you don't think they are an 'intrusion' any more. (Like I said: just giving another way to look at this.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

One 'workaround' that I have realised after using sage for 2 years or so: I almost never watch live TV!

The fact that Sage does not seem to use a 'livetv buffer' (unlike most other PVR's) seems to have been a bone of contention over the last week but is a major benefit IMHO -- with PVRrs that use these buffers, many lose the buffered program when you change channel, and others do not allow you to hit 'record' on something you have been watching 'live', without losing the buffered segment...

One other workaround is to have an IR receiver and 'learn' the TV remote's 'OFF' command and map it to Sage's STOP, so when I turn off the TV, Sage stops playback...
Old 05-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Sage Expert

My probably biggest complaint on this whole thing is that if I start watching a show while it is still recording, and watch it through to the end, when it gets to the end, it automatically "turns on" the next show (starting with the delayed recorded data if it is recording as well or just jumping into the program if not being recorded).

I assume this "feature" is related to the whole no live buffer thing talked about elsewhere, but it is still frustrating.

Is there some option to change this behavior?

One workaround I've found is that if you press Stop after the show is done recording, then press Play to continue, when it gets to the end, it will just stop, which is what I want.