SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Sage User

Why such limited USB-UIRT support?

Hi,

Why is there only support included for the motorola cable box in the USB-UIRT profiles? No support for any of the satellite companies?

The USB-UIRT seems to be the IT blaster of choice (only one available from pcalchemy.com for instance). However, the learning function does not work for these satellite boxes as the 56K IR sensor (required for learning the signal of satellite boxes) is usually not included.

I have installed SageTV for a friend that has satellite and I am stuck now, because the IR blaster will not work. And yes I have searched this forum and found a couple of IR profiles buried in posts, but they did not work. I have also tried to add the repeatcount, but with no success.

What to do now? Any help will be greatly appreciated, as my friend is getting quite frustated with SageTV.

Marius
Old 05-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Sage Icon

You should be able to create a new device during the encoder setup process. Instead of selecting the 'Motorola DCwhatever', select 'new device', and take the remote used for that STB and program the codes as Sage asks for them.

You may have to futz with the .ir file a little with repeat counts, delays etc. (all that's in the PDF manual), but there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get that to work. If the USBUIRT blinks when you push buttons on the STB remote in question, it should be able to learn the codes.

If it DOESN'T blink, you _might_ need the 56k sensor. You could probably sell the one you have for a very small loss either on ebay, or right here on the For Sale board, and get a new USBUIRT direct from the source with a 56k sensor. It sucks, but I doubt you'll have to do that. You should be fine.

AFAIK the only STB that requires the 56k sensor is the DishNetwork 301.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless

AFAIK the only STB that requires the 56k sensor is the DishNetwork 301.
Yes, it is the Dish 301 that does not work and requires the 56K sensor. But why not include the IR profile for this receiver in the SageTV software? They know it will be a problem for them, why not help the costumer out?

I have emailed the USB-UIRT support a couple of times, but have got no answer yet on if I can get the 56K sensor. Seems that I am stuck and dependent on some guy before I can even start to use the htpc.

Cheers,

Marius
Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Sage Icon

I have a profile for that STB at home. I'll PM it to you tonight.

SageTV can't start including profiles for every STB out there because it would quickly get out of hand. There are literally thousands of STB codes out there, and it would easily confuse new users. It's much more simple to have the ability to program your own.

You should be fine with my .ir file once you get it. The only thing the 56k sensor does is LEARN the codes. The blaster is the same in both models, and is a wide-band emitter. Now that I think about it, I never programmed mine either, I had to get the profile from someone else for the same reasons you're having.

I'll see if I can VNC to my HTPC at lunch and send you what you need. Otherwise, I'll send it tonight. PM me your email, that'll be easier.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Sage User

OK I can understand that you won't want to include a couple of 100 IR files for each receiver in the SageTV software.

If the common method of getting these IR files for these 56K receivers is getting them from forum members by email, why not manage a list of IR files that people can download from a centralized list on this website.

This would save people a lot of frustration.

Cheers,

Marius

P.S. I have also PM'ed you my email address.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Sage Icon

That's not a bad idea at all.

I'll take a look at the wiki and see if I can figure out a way to make a IR file section.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Here are dish 301 files for remote addresses 1 and 2

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...light=dish+301

I'll get them up on the wiki.

-gary-
Old 05-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks glbrown!

Mariusvr, glbrown is the helpful user that gave those files to me when I needed them over a year and a half ago. So grab those, they're the ones I used.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Sage User

Thanks glbrown and crashless!

I have tried glbrown's IR files and they don't work straight away. The support of USB-UIRT emailed me a IR helper program to test, in which glbrown codes DO work. After adding "repeatcodes 10" to rglbrowns IR files the remote works fine for switching channels.

I have attached the IR helper program to this thread to help out other people in troubleshooting.

DishNetwork uses 3 digit channels for the 0-899 range, but uses 4 digit channels for the 9000-9999 range. Is there anyway to get both of these 3 digit and 4 digit channels to work at the same time?

Also the channels 1 to 30 don't show up in the live TV guide, but are enabled in the channel setup. Is there a quick way to fix this too?

Thanks again,

Marius
Attached Files
File Type: zip lrnhelper_0_0_2.zip (24.4 KB, 228 views)
Old 05-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvr
Also the channels 1 to 30 don't show up in the live TV guide, but are enabled in the channel setup. Is there a quick way to fix this too?
That means the channels are duplicated on another channel number for that or another channel lineup. See the note at the bottom of p. 40 in the v2.2 manual.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Sage Expert

Can I hire you to just follow me around and every time I have a question I can just look at you and you can slap me with a copy of the manual at the correct page number?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
Can I hire you to just follow me around and every time I have a question I can just look at you and you can slap me with a copy of the manual at the correct page number?

That's the best part! Sage already hired him for you.

Last edited by Crashless; 05-18-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati

I guess that would be an 'interactive manual'?

- Andy
Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Opus, maybe you could fit some time in for me too, you seem to be doing an excellent job of RTFMing me lately thanks again

Cory