SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Where's 3.0??

A month has past since Sage announced it would be releasing 3.0 BETA in coming weeks.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah, if they plan to still get 3.0 out "in the spring", they're gonna have to hurry...
Old 05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Talking

sorry, its officially summer down here in Texas, so much for that deadline!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Sage Icon

I was wondering when more of these threads would startup!

I am as anxious as anyone.. At least to see the feature list. If it is just the things they announced at CES, then who cares... Already have all of those things I need (Media MVP client and web server).

I REALLY hope there is something more they have not announced... Modular interface, HD card support, more set top boxes aside from the Media MVP, SOMETHING.

Simply adding features we already have (Media MVP and web server) and Linux support would be a HUGE disappointment.

Jason
Old 05-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Sage User

I donīt understand why they just canīt say a date like guys looks like were heading for may 25 for example ( if everthing goes to plan of course ) if itīs a few days out then so be it,drives me mad all this waiting they must have a date in mind
Old 05-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pftg4
I donīt understand why they just canīt say a date like guys looks like were heading for may 25 for example ( if everthing goes to plan of course ) if itīs a few days out then so be it,drives me mad all this waiting they must have a date in mind
Because if that day comes and goes an even bigger uproar than these little bi-weekly threads would crop up.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think they're maybe shooting themselves in the foot by calling it 3.0, because that psychologically (and by definition) implies a major functional upgrade. (I suppose adding Linux support would count).

What i'm trying to say is that if they were calling it 2.3 then everyone would accept that there was one along not so many weeks ago and there wouldn't be a big deal. It's just the big number that's making people expect more than they know there is.

Nick.
HW: Silverstone LC03 case, NFS7-V2 motherboard, Athlon XP2600+, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, WinTV PVR-350 (Encoding Only), XCard (Decoding) XFX GeForce FX5200, USB-UIRT, MS MCE Remote, RGB-Svid converter for input
SW: Sage 2.2, Girder, MBM, XML-RT, a bunch of custom scripts and programs.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldeffect
I think they're maybe shooting themselves in the foot by calling it 3.0, because that psychologically (and by definition) implies a major functional upgrade. (I suppose adding Linux support would count).

What i'm trying to say is that if they were calling it 2.3 then everyone would accept that there was one along not so many weeks ago and there wouldn't be a big deal. It's just the big number that's making people expect more than they know there is.

Nick.

You haven't see it yet, no one has. How could you possibly make such a statement?

I don't mean to be hard on you, I'm just saying...
Old 05-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Administrator

I was going to bite my tongue, but considering the fact that it would hurt & I'm a bit impatient, I just _can't_ resist releasing more v3 info in the language I've been studying:

Zee coorrent releese-a dete-a fur zee v3 beta is "sume-a teeme-a in zee footoore-a". Yuoo cun be-a ebsulootely soore-a thet it veell nut be-a releesed preeur tu noo. Iff zee footoore-a dete-a pesses v/oo a v3 releese-a, yuoo knoo thet vesn't zee dey ooff zee releese-a.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

HA!

Thanks Opus4, I couldn't agree more! Frankly I always like the "It'll be done when its done." As for myself, I'd like nothing more to have at 3.0, but I have no problem waiting till the folks at SageTV say its done and cut it lose. Till then I'll continue to dig into Linux.

Enjoy,
RedR
Old 05-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Sage Icon

That's absolutely awesome. I'm so excited about that!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Sage Expert

Heck, even if they are a month or two "late", they'll still be doing better than Meedio TV (who's been touting Meedio TV since last year, and still doesn't have it working, except for extremely buggy pre-releases)...

Just a jab at both. Sage, we're obviously anxious to get the latest version. Meedio, I (and others) are anxious to see *any* released version...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
Sage, we're obviously anxious to get the latest version. Meedio, I (and others) are anxious to see *any* released version...
As luck would have it, they'll probably release both at about the same time..
Old 05-17-2005, 06:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
You haven't see it yet, no one has. How could you possibly make such a statement?

I don't mean to be hard on you, I'm just saying...
I'd love to be surprised by broad sweeping new features, but i'd have thought that the main reason for not expecting too much would be that the official 3.0 thread lists the basic areas that have been improved:

- Online scheduling
- UI updates
- Better configuration wizard
- Media extenders

Of course they might do more (and i'm sure there will be lots of nice things that are too small to mention in an overview like the official 3.0 thread), but you'd think that anything major would have been listed there, and I think you have to be fair to Sage and appreciate (especially with the new Linux version on the cards) that they have to lock down a build that they can comprehensively test against, and it isn't that easy to just throw new things in close to a release date.

The software I am dealing with at the moment has already hit the new feature cut off for release in September.

You've got to decide what you want from them, and if you want them to add cool new features all the time then you've got to accept that it's going to push the release date back significantly every time they do.

Of course they could be a teeny tiny bit more informative about progress You know what would be cool? A weekly update in the style of "Frankie's Weekly Update" for Halo 2. It could be an excellent way for sage to informally answer feature questions and give some insight into the things that people are interested in, and would probably diffuse a lot of the frustration that people have.

It would take one member of staff what, an hour a week?

Nick.
HW: Silverstone LC03 case, NFS7-V2 motherboard, Athlon XP2600+, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, WinTV PVR-350 (Encoding Only), XCard (Decoding) XFX GeForce FX5200, USB-UIRT, MS MCE Remote, RGB-Svid converter for input
SW: Sage 2.2, Girder, MBM, XML-RT, a bunch of custom scripts and programs.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldeffect
It would take one member of staff what, an hour a week?
Maybe an hour a week to post the thing, but probably another 10-20 hours to answer questions about what he/she posted...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I was going to bite my tongue, but considering the fact that it would hurt & I'm a bit impatient, I just _can't_ resist releasing more v3 info in the language I've been studying:

Zee coorrent releese-a dete-a fur zee v3 beta is "sume-a teeme-a in zee footoore-a". Yuoo cun be-a ebsulootely soore-a thet it veell nut be-a releesed preeur tu noo. Iff zee footoore-a dete-a pesses v/oo a v3 releese-a, yuoo knoo thet vesn't zee dey ooff zee releese-a.

- Andy
Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Sage Icon

Please translate to let me in on the joke...?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Sage Expert

34 days till the end of Spring...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
Please translate to let me in on the joke...?
Sorry, but I only know how to translate to Swedish Chef. I have no idea how to translate it back. Maybe it would help if you try reading the text with a Swedish Chef accent?

- Andy
Old 05-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've been using Sage since October 2003. The release for Sage 2 was way later than they originally had planned to release it. Unless I go back and search the forums, I wouldn't know the exact times, but it was probably 9 months or a year later than the target date before the official (non-beta) version 2 was released.

When the first version comes out, it won't be an official release. It will be a beta. The Spring target date is just for the beta. It will then be several months before an official version is released. So don't be expecting a fully working, perfectly usable Sage 3 until Fall. This is just me basing this on how version 2 was done.

The thing to understand is that the release date that they mentioned is just a target date. I think that's how they put it in their announcement regarding version 3. I don't have any problem releasing it later than they announced. It's hard to estimate how long things will take, especially when you're a small company. Even Microsoft has had problems with release dates. What I will upset about is if they don't release Studio or some derivitive of Studio or some kind of SDK soon. That's all ready done. Ironically, when I first started using Sage, Sage was the only company that had announced an SDK, and now they're the only ones without one. Even TIVO has an SDK!

Just for fun, here are my predictions for the release dates:

Sage 3 Beta: May 30, 2005.
Sage 3 Official: October 10, 2005.

Anyone else want to predict? Let's see who's closest.