SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Sage User

Help with Playing Ripped DVDs Needed!!!!

Hey Guys

Spent hours trying to get ripped DVDs to play through SageTV but to no avail... Hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I used DVD Shrink to rip the DVD to a folder on my hard drive. This folder is set up as a library import folder. The ripped files are in a Video_TS folder in another folder which resides in the library import folder so it looks as though I have the proper file structure.

SageTV recognizes the DVD's folder but then does not recognize any files inside it so when I click play now, nothing happens.

I have read other similar posts on the forum and seem to be doing everything right but no dice.

Any ideas / thoughts greatly appreciated...

PS I'm using Cayars STV and a PVR 150. SageTV itself works great, just the ripped DVDs which I am struggling with.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Sage Icon

I can't tell what you are doing wrong.

This is how I have it set up.

I have a folder F:\DVDs

In DVD Shrink I select the output directory as F:\DVD\xxxxx where xxxxx is the name of the DVD I am backing up.

After the backup is complete I am left with F:\DVD\xxxxx\Video_TS

In Sage I specify F:\DVD as the libray import dir. Everything works fine....

Have you tried the manual to see if you are doing something differently?
Old 05-17-2005, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Have you tried the stock STV? I think CayarsSTV might do some weird stuff with DVDs and such.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Sage User

Thanks guys. That seems to be the way mine is set up also. The file structure is intact but won't recognize all the files. They play fine when I simply double click them and open up in windows media player, but not with SageTV. I'll try a different STV and see what happens but I liked Cayars one...
Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you do anything special (change the properties file) to get them to show up, because you shouldn't have, and you shouldn't see any files in the folder, Sage imports it as a DVD, not a bunch of files.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Sage User

No that I can think of. SageTV gets the DVD name right (assume from the folder name the vob / info files are in) but then says total playing time is 0. Really starting to wind me up...
Old 05-17-2005, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

That sounds about right:
Old 05-17-2005, 03:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Cayars' STV has an option to use an exetrnal media player, rather than playing DVD's in Sage -- you may have got this option enabled, but have not got the configured media player... Check the detailed setup pages...
Old 05-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Sage User

Woo Hoo! I switched off the external DVD / Video players and now the DVD plays with Cayars STV. Now if I could only manage to configure the external DVD player....
Old 05-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Sage User

And if I could only get cover art and info to show up as well. I have a jpg and a .my text file inside my VIDEO_TS folder, both named the same as the movie but no joy. SageTV hates me...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
That sounds about right:
That is exactly the screen I get. Do you know how to fix that and get the playing time, cover art, info etc to show up or are you having the same issues??
Old 05-18-2005, 05:48 AM
SageTVaholic

You have to use a different STV that supports loading info from an file to get the info. For coverart, you just need to put a folder.jpg file in the VIDEO_TS directory and then remove - re-add the import directory (thumbnails only get found on the original import).
Old 05-18-2005, 06:43 AM
Sage User

Thanks. Have used Cayars and Maldude but both seem to be the same. Any idea as to which STV supports the importing of data?? The original one doesn't either.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I know the SageMC (especially the 169 version) supports reading from DVD Profiler XML exports (the coverart is up to you though). I think mlbdude2 supports reading from myHTPC style .my files.

Oh, and I don't think anything supports actually importing it into the Sage DB yet.