SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Sage User

Sage screen saver

Is it bad to not have the screen saver on? If I have my sat box connected to my imput 1 on my tv and my HTPC connected to my digital imput and I'm watching tv from my sat with sage running in the background with no screen saver, can this screw up my projection screen?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Sage User

When you say "with sage running in the background" what do you mean?
Picture-In-Picture?
Split Screen?
The way I read your post you're watching input 1 and not your HTPC at all.

What type of TV?

CRT
LCD
DLP
projector & screen?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Sage User

I have a JVC 48" AV-48wp74 projection using DVi for my HTPC. What I mean is if you were to switch to digital in on my remote sage would be there. If you were to press input 1 on the remote you would be watching Directv. Basically what I'm asking is if its ok to have Sage running constantly without the screen saver on.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Sage Expert

if it's on your screen running constantly... yes it's bad. With the projection screen it can cause burn in. Most of the time you see big screen projection style tv's in the stores and you ooh and ahh over how sharp and clear they look. The bad thing is the stores have the brightness, contrast all cranked to look better under all of that bright lighting. So other things you want to do when you get a nice big screen like that home is go in and tweak everything down PAST where you think it looks the best. Your eyes are fooling you. Eventually you'll be able to see just how good a picture the set really has.

Oh... and you don't want to watch letterboxed or 4:3 picture shows constantly on those screens either because you'll start noticing burn-in after a while. Mix it up and even watch 4:3 at 16:9... The aspect difference can be compensated on that JVC by using a mode that stretches only the outside edges of the picture.

Um... What was the original question again? No. Do not have the sage running without screen saver for long periods of time sitting at a menu screen on that tv. It WILL mess it up eventually. It might take months before you notice it, but you WILL notice it eventually.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Sage Expert

Come to think of it... I think I had that very same set for a month or so... I took mine back because the skew and such was so far out of whack that it would have taken me days of tweaking and refocusing of the lenses to get it right... I wound up getting a Mitsubishi 65" Medallion...