SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 07-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Multiple clients to server

I am running the 1.4.5 Beta and have a server running with one client. I am pretty impressed with how this works, although I would still like the installation option to run the server as a true service. So impressed that I am comtemplating putting the server with PVR 250 and satelite reciever in the back room with a client running on an ITX PC with an XCard in the family room. At least that will be quieter.

Before doing this I wanted to check out how Sage dealt with multiple clients hitting the server simultaneously so I set up a test. I quickly found out that you keep track of the PC and license key pairs to keep people honest. Can't fault you there so I bought another client license and went back to it.

Unfortunately, you did not provide for a way to enter the new license key. When you launch the client it prompts for the server, there is only one so I enter it, then you get the "cannot reuse license key" message. Press OK, and you are back to the enter server name dialog. Either you enter another server name or you can press cancel and quit. How do I enter this new license key?
Old 07-16-2003, 09:37 PM

I don't own a SageTV client license so this is a guess. But can you uninstall the client software then reinstall the client and enter the new key. I know SageTV(normal) is smart enough to keep the settings when I unstall then reinstall it when upgrading to try a new beta.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeh, I thought so to. I uninstalled the client, deleted the Frey Software directory and deleted the registry entry and then re-installed. No luck. My guess is that the server is keeping track of this. Sage is pretty well thought out so I would be surprised if Jeff did this in a manner that was easily discoverable. I guess I just need to hear from him.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:26 AM

Bummer. Oh well at least Frey will get some feedback on SageTV Client. Like add an easy way to change Keys.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe they're writing to the boot sector...
Old 07-17-2003, 08:08 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

Does bullet point 2 on the Troubleshooting page help? http://www.sage.tv/troubleshooting.html
Old 07-17-2003, 01:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yep, that does it. Thanks These forums are so active I go here first - should have known...

It would be nice if there was a button on the error dialog to take you into that register routine.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:50 PM

True that would be more intuitive, but it should have a retry limit of 3 max. This would help prevent a brute force attack on the serial number routine. I realize there are a huge number of possibilities but never make it any easier for crackers. Besides even a complete goof could write a brute force script if there is no retry limit.

PS:No I'm not a hacker/cracker. I can't even program except for a little PERL. I've just learned to never underestimate people.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to debennett2
My question, why do I need a Sage Client key in order to beta test Sage Cleint 2.0.15? Wouldn;t it make more sense to have a trial version so everyone can experience what it is that client offers? Just curious since I have no clue how well the client works and won't ever know since I have to pay in order to just find out.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:38 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm pretty sure once 2.0 is released to the public there will be 15 day trials of the server and the client just like there was before.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to TunaBoo Send a message via AIM to TunaBoo Send a message via Yahoo to TunaBoo
Sage can handle lots of clients on a decent server. I record at 3 GB an hour. So the stream after overhead ends up using 6 or 7mbits per second. Over a 100 mbit line, that is not very much. That is also _WAY_ below what a hard drive can deal with. I think a normal hard drive could be recording 3 files, and sending out 3 different files with no problems. How fancy the hard drive setup would determine exactly how many different streams you can handle. (Make sure to format data drive at 64 KB blocks for easier to right blocks under heavy use).