SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-28-2005, 04:40 AM

Traditional Chinese Support in Guide

I am using TVxb to extract an XMLTV programme guide into SageTV 2.2.8 with no issues.

The file contains both English and Traditional Chinese characters. I read in other threads that Hebrew is supported in the EPG by changing the font in the sage.properties file. I have tried to change the font into a font file that contains the chinese characters but I still get only squares in the guide.

Is there any way to get traditional Chinese characters to appear in the guide?

I am using Win XP English.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Sage User

Was there ever a solution to this?

I am in Hong Kong with the same issue. My EPG data contains both Chinese and English (Not that I can read the chinese, but my wife can)

Any advice on how to fix this???
Old 01-19-2006, 02:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

To solve the Hebrew problem:
Shut down SageTv / SageTV Client.
Edit the SageTV.properties / SageTVclient.properties file and find the line:
ui/use_texture_maps_for_3d_text=true
change it to false. (ui/use_texture_maps_for_3d_text=false).
Start SageTV/sageTVclient again and make sure 3D acceleration is ON.

I hope this solves your Chinese problem also...

Oren.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:42 AM
Sage User

Yep - that worked.

Thanks a bunch
Old 08-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Sage User

Hi,
I'm using sagetv with WHS edition. Plus the Placeshifter.
i couldn't find the property file with placeshifter. where can i find that file. so i can edit. also can someone post a screen shoot with traditional chinese showing it proof that this can be done.

Thanks
ismewor
Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismewor View Post
Hi,
I'm using sagetv with WHS edition. Plus the Placeshifter.
i couldn't find the property file with placeshifter. where can i find that file. so i can edit. also can someone post a screen shoot with traditional chinese showing it proof that this can be done.

Thanks
ismewor
Things change...
Try setting:
ui/load_complete_glyph_maps=true

Oren.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Sage User

No luck, the problem i have is all the file name under my movie will only show as "Square" with chinese char.

any suggestion?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Here are a couple things not mentioned above. Also, I'm not using Chinese, but I am using Japanese, which also uses kanji. It works fine.

1. Make sure you're saving the properties files in UTF-8. Unicode is required for Chinese, I believe. Most text editors (not notepad) have an option for this.

2. Find and replace the default font in the properties file, Arial I think, with a system font for Chinese on your computer. For Japanese, I'm using MS UI Gothic.

Good luck,

Steven

Last edited by steven017; 08-27-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Sage User

Thanks for your info. however can you point out how to save the properties file to UTF-8 you mention, i'm using word 2003

Thanks,
ismewor
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Sage User

Hi Steven,
I just did a search on my properties file and couldn't find arial. can you let me know which line it is the default font so i can make the change.

Thanks,
ismewor
Old 09-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi ismewor,

Although I don't know which text editor your are using, most have an Encoding option in one of the Menus on the Toolbar. Look for something like Document or Convert on the Toolbar. Then look for Text Encoding or Encoding. After that, select UTF-8 to convert your text to that format (depending on the text editor, there may be an extra step or so, but they are usually noted in the text editor's interface) and then use Save As to save the file by overwriting it. If you choose Save, it may not be overwritten with the new encoding.

I'm sorry, I don't know what the Default font is off the top of my head (and you'll probably need to change it in many places in the file). But, you should be able to determine it quite easily in the properties file. Just Search for the term "font" and look for the font name after the "=" sign. If you search a couple times, you'll probably notice that there is only one font being used. Once you know the name, you can just do a Find & Replace (Ctrl+h usually) to replace the font with your chosen one.

Best of luck

Steven
Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Sage User

Hi steve
thanks for your info. i am using word 2003 would this also have to save as function that you mention. thanks, ismewor
Old 09-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

No, I'd don't believe Word is an option, nor is Word Pad or Notepad.

Your best bet is to download a free text editor from the net. There are quite a few out there.

I use a couple, EditPad, which seems to work quite well and has good support for Japanese, and Crimson Editor, which I like but the version I have lacks support for Japanese (I still use it anyways to edit files if I don't need to read or enter Japanese.).

I'd suggest you download a copy of EditPad and give it a try. Once you open the file, you can convert your file by selecting Text Encoding from the Convert menu. Make sure you select the correct option on the screen. Choose the one that says Encode original data with a different character set. Then use Save As to save the file by overwriting it.

One last thing, I'm assuming you've followed the instructions provided by Sage for customizing/internationalizing the interface. Here's the link just in case:

http://www.sagetv.com/2_papers/i18n.txt

You need to complete all the steps. After you've done that, you can convert your files to unicode with your text editor plus change your font.

Best of luck,

Steven
Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Sage User

Hi Steven,
Thanks for your help again, Just want to clear a bit. i'm trying to change the interface to chinese. i'm just seeing "Square" as file name. and the only goal i'm doing this is to be able to read the chinese name file name just like regular xp does. hope this clear what i'm looking for. i will try to post a screen shoot to that could be must easlier to understand. or can you post a screen shoot of your sage. so we both at the same level of understanding.

Thanks,
Adrian
Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, I'm not 100% clear about what you mean about "file name" here. I am assuming you are referring to the names of recordings plus data in your EPG.

I've added a couple screenshots of my interface. I have not translated my menus, but all my Japanese displays fine.

Let me know if this is the kind of thing you are looking for. It seemed to me that it was.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Recordings.jpg (55.8 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg Guide.jpg (95.2 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by steven017; 01-07-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Removed links to files. Uploaded instead.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Sage User

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply. I don't need recording and guide for chinese.
however i would like to show my video file name and music file name show up with chinese chars. since i name them in chinese char with my other computer or ripped from itunes.

and i have attached the jpeg. and hope you have some suggestion.

Thanks,
Adrian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sagetv_error.JPG (69.0 KB, 203 views)
Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi ismewor,

Okay, I see what you are saying. But, I don't think these are separate things. I believe that if you follow the instructions provided by Sage as I mentioned in my post above and change the font, your file names should display properly. They may display properly without the font change, but I doubt it because I'm pretty sure the default font in Sage does not contain Chinese characters.

Here's what Sage says about double-byte characters:

"NOTE For double byte character sets:
If you're using a double byte language for the translation, you need to transform the files to be compliant. The files should be saved in either UTF8 or UTF-16 encoding."

Also, you don't actually have to translate the interface to make this work. You just need to create Chinese versions of the files, i.e., just create the files the way they are described in the instructions. You don't need to change them (unless you want to). Then, just change the font in the properties file, and make sure these files are encoded in UTF-8.

Try also changing/adding these two lines to your properties file:
allow_unicode_characters_in_generated_filenames=true
ui/use_texture_maps_for_3d_text=false

The first one above may especially help, but I think you're going to need the ability to display Chinese in Sage first, which I doubt you can achieve without following the instructions outlined by Sage.

Also, please remember that you need to close SageTV before you make changes to your properties file, and after you restart Sage, you will need to set up your region again in the setup menu. You don't need to do the whole setup, just the one where you select your country and language.

I've added a screenshot of what my music folder looks like in Sage (I'd show you videos, but I don't have any videos with titles in Japanese)below.

These steps probably would take maybe 30 minutes, including the time required to download the text editor. If you haven't tried it, why not give it a shot and see if it helps?

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Song.jpg (42.1 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by steven017; 01-07-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Removed links to files. Uploaded instead.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Sage User

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your quick reply, am i have to change this on both my WHS sagetv and Placeshifter in order for them to show chinese char?

Thanks,
Adrian
Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, that's a very good question.

I'm not using Placeshifter, but I have tested it. If I'm remembering correctly, I didn't need to edit the Placeshifter properties file, but I do remembering tinkering with it.

Why not just do both? The changes to the other file should only take a couple minutes, and from what I've read here in the forum, it *might* be necessary to ensure a consistent interface on Placeshifter.

The Placeshifter properties file is found in the Clients subdirectory. The file for the Placeshifter client for each computer is named <mac address>.properties.

Steve
Old 09-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Sage User

Hi Steven,
I got the editor installed. however there only 1 things with font within sage.properties. I have attached my properties file so you can take a look when you have time.
second, i tried to follow the instruction from about. and i extract the sage.jar unzipped it but there isn't a file call "SageTVCoreTranslations.properties" nor "SageTV3_i18n.properties" either.

so i don't know how to move forward at this point.

anything else i can tried. btw this is the 6.4 latest version of sagetv.

Thanks,
Adrian