SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-18-2005, 04:24 PM

A few quick questions (from a former beyond tv trial user)

Hello, everyone!
I recently decided to turn my old computer into a DVR.
So I thought I would try out Beyond TV, and it worked fine, until I came to the deal killers.

1. Recorded tv buffer, when you are watching tv and you need to look at your menu, when you come back to live tv your buffer is cleared no more re-winding!, even if you had paused it.
Also if you start to watch a show and then 5 min later you decide, hey I think i'll record this show, well once again the moment you press record there goes all previous buffer info, resulting in a incomplete recording!

2. During a recording you better already have your volume set to where you want it for the duration or the recording, because there will be no volume adjustment (up, or down) allowed!

So before I install another dvr program, I was hoping if you guys could let me know if this is how it works here also.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

1) For the hardware encoders that SageTV uses, each show is recorded to its own file & playback is from that file, not a circular buffer. You can change the channel or go to a menu w/o losing what is recording. Live TV recordings are usually automatically deleted shortly after the airing is over & you have stopped watching it.

2) You can adjust the volume level during playback -- it is the same as playing an existing recording (except that you can''t FF past the current time).

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Sage User

1.a) Going to the main menu is not an issue, sage won't dump the buffer and in fact automatically pauses if you switch to the main menu while watching live TV.

1.b) Deciding to record live TV; As stated above, the buffer is saved to a file so if you hit record sage will just save the file and you'll get it all (from when you started watching live TV).

2. Each tuner has a volume that it records at, you can adjust this to your taste (mine is at default). I've never even thought to try altering this while recording viewing. Once viewing live or recording you can just alter the system volume, from no sound to defening roar(assuming your speakers have enough power) with the + and - volume keys on the remote. So the volume of the recording isn't changing but the volume you hear is, I hope that makes sence I'm having a moment of inarticulance it seems. I'm actually really really suprised that there is a DVR program that doesn't do this.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobor
1.a) ...and in fact automatically pauses if you switch to the main menu while watching live TV.
unless you have the background video in menus option enabled, in which case, the video carries on playing with the menu superimposed onto the video. This can be a semi-transparent overlay depending on settings.