SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Playback problem in SageTV

Hi all

I first started this question in the hardware section, as i thought i only had the problem with the hauppauge MVP. However, it turns out i have it on my server PC as well.
I have a PC which holds two identical PVR-150's. During the installing of the client version for use with the MVP, the original install of SageTV was uninstalled because they were not the same versions. Anyway, i had to make a new install and perhaps this is why i'm having problems.
The problem is that during playback of shows i recorded the time is all screwed up. The caret jumps everywhere when i FF or RW. When i play the files in PowerDVD, everything is fine. Which, to me, means the file is ok.
In SageTv i can't get proper playback.
I have the quartz.dll installed, the right driver for the PVR's. The recording quality is set to DVD standard play.

Does anybody know what the problem is here?

Cheers,
Henk99
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is there anyone there that can help me with this?

I have tried to play around with it to make it more clear what is going wrong.
An example; I recorder a movie the other day. I started watching it last night (so it was a day old, and not recording anymore). and everything was fine. At some point a commercial block started and i did a few FF button presses. When i got to the movie again, i resumed normal playback. However, the timebar caret still moves too fast. Instead of progressing in seconds, it skips 2-4 seconds at once. Playback appeares to be at the right speed though. The result is that the timebar caret is at the end of the bar much quicker than the movie actually is playing. SageTV then appears to think that the movie is over and stops playback, allthough the movie is only half over!
It doesn't help if i start watching all over or when i restart SageTv. The file itself appears to be fine, because i can watch it in PowerDVD without problems.
I later saw this happening with time shifted tv as well. I started watching a show that was still recording, but after some FF and RW the caret raced to the end and the show was over for me, allthough it was supposed to be recording still (the show hadn't actually ended yet!).

I sure hope someone can help me with this.

Cheers,
Henk99
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 AM
Administrator

Purely guessing... if you haven't done so already, perhaps try different audio/video decoders or reinstall SageTV in case something didn't install correclty.

Try playback in something other than PowerDVD, in case it is somehow working around a problem in the recorded file.

Do you have the Hauppauge software installed? If so, try making a recording with that software while SageTV isn't running & then see if it will play back OK in SageTV or elsewhere.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmmm....well this whole thing started when i had to install a new SageTv. But, before that is had the 'standard' SageTV MPEG decoder set. Now, with the new install i have that set again.
It also plays fine in the nero mediaplayer, womble player.
I have no hauppauge stuff installed at the moment. What hauppauge sw are you suggesting? I find it strange that the files play fine in all other players i've tried so far. The one that actually made the file however, can't play it back correctly :-(
Strange stuff.....
Old 07-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Guys, i did a completely new install and have the same problems. Isn't there anyone that knows these problems or can help me in any other way? By the response i'm getting on this thread i'm thinking that this is a new problem or something, but i badly need help with it (i'm trying not to nag.....lol).
I simply can't FF or RW in any recoding i did, because it screws up something time-wise. It results in not being able to watch a recoding till the end. I have to revert back to PowerDVD to watch the shows i recorded. That's not right isn't it? WAF is down the drain completely with this.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you using the older .properties and wiz.bin files with the new install, if so, move then out of the way somewhere safe and setup Sage from scratch (if it does not help, then you can always copy the old files back again) (as always, shut down sage fully before changing these files)

Check that you have not mapped the Sage 'Play Faster', 'Play Slower' commands to the remote keys -- these commands don't work very well!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Nielm....thanks for your reply.

The installs are clean installs, no older files are used. So, SageTV is set-up from scratch. Also, no buttons like that are mapped. I didn't even have time to map anything yet. I'm purely using mouse and/or the standard remote buttons.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

More guesses: Did you set the county code in the properties file? (I don't know whether that would cause such a problem, but...)

Go to Detailed Setup -> Commands -> Show Command & double check what commands the remote buttons are connected to for FF & REW.

For the fresh install, you completely removed the old SageTV dir? And, only installed the server to start with? (No client yet, or at least the client is in a separate directory?)

Do you have more than one version of java installed? Have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling java?

Finally: send a note to tech support to see what they might suggest.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks again Opus, for the 'guesses' :-)

-Country code is set properly
-No extra or strange buttons are mapped, only FF and RW
-I completely removed everything and rebooted before installing anything. Client is in a different dir as well
-I DID have more then one java installed. At least, i saw two versions in the java directory. I uninstalled both and installed it properly. Didn't fix the problem though.
-Will send a note. It's very annoying. I'm planning to do a complete windows install and immediately after that a new sagetv. In theory this MUST work. I will have no other stuff installed, only Xp and Sagetv.

Fingers crossed.....
Old 01-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Was this ever fixed? I am now suffering from the same thing. It is driving the wife and myself a bit batty. I doesn't happen on every file, just random ones. Usualy ones we really really want to watch. The files will also behave badly in Zoomplayer which is using the same nvidia decoders, but they playback fine in MPC which is using its own decoders. I have tried using the sage and hauppauge decoders in sage with no luck.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Sage Icon

anyone?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have the same problem. I sent three bug requests 5 months ago and the only response I got was "we're working on it."

I tried switching video decoders and that seemed to help a little bit. Fewer of my recordings are having this problem. But now I once in a while get the problem where there is a sharp burst in the sound and then I can't hear any sound at all.

I've pretty much given up on the problem. I just watch my "messed up" shows through an external player like powerdvd.

Maybe this problem occurs because I'm not using an intervideo decoder? I don't know....
Old 03-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Sage Icon

It might be the same issue as here http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...905#post147905 I have tried different decoders, different PVR150 drivers, a total windosx xp re-install, nothing seems to fix it. I am at my wits end. What sucks so bad, is I went from a perfectly working system to this for no apparent reason.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes I believe it is
Old 03-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Sage Icon

Is the carot jumping around only when you fast forward or rewind? Also, when the carot jumps around, does the video jump to the time where the carot is or is the video where it should be as you FF or Rew or does the video jump to where the carot is?

Mike
Old 03-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Sage Icon

For me, the jumping really only happens when ffwding or rwding. It's hard to tell if it goes to the right time, because the time is all messed up. It counts way too fast.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I've seen this happen on one episode of NCIS a week or two ago. Even though it said the recording was 1 hour long it looked like the caret was moving down the time bar in leaps and bounds. The recording played for maybe 20 minutes. Commercial skips were off and every skip forward or backward ended being more like a 5 minute skip. Hasn't happened since. Could not track down why.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Sage Icon

I just changed my PVR150 drivers...and to risk jinxing it,I'll say the problem seems to be gone. I'll post back after more testing. For me the problem was very consistent..just about every recording, so I should know rather quickly.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Sage Icon

After changing my PVR150 drivers, everything seems to be fine with my recordings now. But, I am having an issue where Sage will crash on playback after resuming from standby now, I am going to attribute that to the drivers as well. Can anyone post PVR150 drivers that they are using and having no issues with?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
SageTVaholic

These work for me. No issue playing a video after resuming from sleep.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.