SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

SageTV service will not start...

I am running the sagetv demo, which is due to expire in a few days... And since my video directory filled up, the sagetv service is not starting. I tried reinstalling and deleting all recordings since I didnt care about any of them, but it still work start. If I run the sagetv client on the server, it will record. But the service won't start. I am also writing to a network disk, which seems strange, since I thought you had to run as a service, and login as a user with network privs for that to work, but maybe I was wrong, Anyway, the service won't work. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? It just says that the service did not start or respond in a timely fashion when I try to start the service.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:36 PM
SageTVaholic

I would recommend that, for starters, you try running it without the service, by doing:

a) go to the Windows Services Administrative Tool and marking the service as "Disabled".

b) run SageTV from the Start Menu

What happens in this case?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

It does work just running the client in non-service mode. I also tried setting the service details back to default, using the local system account to login rather than a regular user account, and it still will not start. And I changed the location of the recordings directory to a local drive rather than a network drive, and still no dice...
Old 08-01-2005, 05:15 PM
SageTVaholic

How about you:

a) make backup copies of
sage.properties
sage.properties.autobackup
wiz.bin
wiz.bak

...from your Sage directory into a new directory in a location that sage won't see them.

b) delete all of the originals (not the backups!)

c) try to start in service mode

This would have the effect of testing without any of your settings. If the service starts, then we would look into your properties file settings. If it does not start, then we would look into the service installation and/or user accounts.

... That is, unless you've already done this or something like it.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I did uninstall it before I posted my first message. I did not look to see if the uninstaller deleted those files. I did it anyway, but it had no effect. It did not re-create those files, and it gives the same error. I started the sage client, and it starts like you'd expect. It started the first time setup wizard. The thing that gets me is it was working fine before the recording directory filled up. Then it just quit recording and did not delete any recordings like I would expect it to do...
Old 08-01-2005, 06:59 PM
SageTVaholic

If the files aren't recreated when you attempt to restart the service, then it is possible that the service can't start due to a permissions problem.

You might want to check the event log (Start / Settings / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / EVent Viewer / Application Log) to see whether it is reporting an error as it tries to start the service.

Keep your backups of the sage.properties and wiz.bin files!!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

I had already tried checking the event log... nothing on note there. Only error listed is the service being unable to start, with no indication as to why. Does sagetv or the service have any way of turning on extra/verbose logging?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ntrol+request]

This seems to sound about right, but letting the service interact with the desktop doesn't fix it. I suspected that might be it before reading that thread, but changing it to allow interactivity doesn't work...