SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Sage Icon

Needed: A Good, Simple, MPEG Editor

I am looking for a simple MPEG editor that works. As everyone knows, the nanoPEG software that comes with the PVR-X50 boards does not work. What I want is something like nanoPEG, in that it lets me make edits without having to reencode, so I can remove commercials from shows that I record. Ulead studio works great, but reencodes the enture file, which takes forever.

I tried the following:

VirtualDub: worked great, but only generates AVI files (aarg!).
EasyMpeg3: Worked pretty well, but had problems half-way through a file.
Honestech Video Editor 5: Worked pretty well, but had a similar problem to EasyMpeg3.

and a few others. I have just run the 'sagharbor.reg' file from shspvr (to set ProgramStream to ON) and I'll do some more investigation.

I'm not looking for a free piece of software, I just don't want so spend $50-$150 for something that doesn't work.

-Jonathan
Old 07-27-2003, 10:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Try Womble mpeg-vcr. Not very intuitive at first but download the manual and you will figure it out. There is a free demo available. I can now edit out all the commercials from a 30 min show and generate a new file without re-rendering. Whole process takes about 5 -10 mins including creating file. I record in DVD 2.5 gig per hour quality and a 30 min show goes from about 1.15 gig to 800 meg with adds removed. This allows me to get 5 shows on one DVD with menus. Use Ulead DVD Factory to generate the DVD and it does not re-encode the resultant files from Womble.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:40 PM
Sage Icon

I've look at that, but the demo version only handles MPEG1. Considering the problems that I have had with the other programs, I am a little gun shy about paying $120 for something I can not try out with a full MPEG2 file. The PC I am running these editors on is not my PVR, but another PC. I haven't had any problems with this PC before, so I am hoping my problems with the MPEG editors are the editors' faults and not mine.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Sage User

If burning DVDs or creating ISOs is your final objective, then look at TMGEnc's DVD Author. Does not re-encode your video. Final product is VOBs which can be converted to an ISO image with included utility. 30 free trial. Only downside is that your source files must be in DVD format (720 x 480 or 704 x 480).
Old 07-28-2003, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks to trevorst, I was able to verify that Womble's MPEG2VCR works fine for me. While not the cheapest piece of software, it works great and is very fast. I ran two one hour long shows through it (ones that the other programs had problems with) and everything worked great.

Thanks again for the help and recommendations!

- Jonathan
Old 06-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

what about videoReDo?
Also does scanning for commercials.
Check my STVI that will allow you to edit the file directly from sage (stand on the recording, right click and click videredo on it).

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=88
SageTV Client 6.3.5 , AMD 3000, 1024Mb, Saphire x1600Pro256HDMI, java 1.6.1

Using Nielm's Web server 2.22
Old 06-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Sage Icon

Ditto. In my opinion there is no better software for this than VideoReDo. Period.

Jason